Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Yes, there are already many coronavirus threads. However, the recent official confirmation of the presence of coronavirus in Cambodia may directly affect forum members and daily life here, so in order to keep the information easy to find, post it here.
This thread is ONLY for posting information on Cambodia. Try to post links and sources when possible. Updates welcome.

Go Global School in Siem Reap is temporarily being shut down from tomorrow by the Ministry of Education. This was posted yesterday evening on social media page Expats and Locals Living in Siem Reap.
Goglobal Plc‎
to
Expats and locals living in Siem Reap, Cambodia
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Schools in Siem Reap Close, While Angkor Sankranta Postponed
AKP Phnom Penh, March 07, 2020 --

Prime Minister Samdech Akka Moha Sena Padei Techo HE has decided to order the closure of all schools, from kindergarten to tertiary level, in Siem Reap provincial city for 14 days.

The move was taken to prevent the spread of Covid-19, after a new case of the deadly disease was found on a Cambodian man in Siem Reap province, H.E. Mam Bunheng, MInister of Health, told a press conference here this evening.

Meanwhile, the​ Angkor Sankranta, scheduled to be held on the occasion of Khmer Traditional New [Year] in mid-April, will also be postponed.
https://www.akp.gov.kh/post/detail/27432

From the Ministry of Education and Sports:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
samrong01
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by samrong01 »

Amidst the general hysteria I suppose it is futile to point out that Coronavirus does not affect children. Worldwide there have been NO deaths of any children below the age of 10 and deaths of anybody below the age of 30 are rare. The vast majority of deaths are amongst older people with underlying medical conditions. To verify this try googling: "How many children have died from coronavirus". It will return a large number of medical articles discussing why children are not at risk.

To describe this disease as "deadly" is misleading. It's mortality rate as measured in Korea - the most efficient and extensive operation - is 0.6%. This is roughly as deadly as influenza (15,000 deaths in USA alone for this year so far) and much less deadly than dengue fever or malaria. Whilst there could be as many as a million people infected in China, there are also 1.3 BILLION Chinese people who are not. It may be also relevant to point out that although there have been over 100,000 identified cases worldwide, at least 50,000 of these people have already fully recovered.

The current hysteria is created largely by the media whose interest is solely in sensation. They report the total number of deaths without context and they report only the cumulative number of cases without reporting the numbers of recoveries or the severity of cases.

The best advice I have seen is in government posters plastered all around Singapore:
1. Carry on business as usual
2. Wear a mask only if you are sick yourself
3. Wash hands regularly

Despite this rational advice, which is relevant at the best of times, the hysteria has also taken hold there.
one_dolla
Expatriate

Post by one_dolla »

Children can still catch it and spread it - at home to parents......thats reason enough to shut schools for a while ..proactivlet it should be done country wide but it seems very few countries are being proactive in taking measures to stop spead BEOFRE they have an actual infected person...then its to late..
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

Regarding the UK response involving Cambodia.

Cambodia is listed as Category 2! And the guidelines regarding isolation have evolved somewhat in the last 36/48hrs
https://travelhealthpro.org.uk/news/498/covid-19-update

UK Government wrote: Advice if you have travelled to or transited through Category 1 and Category 2 countries/areas in the last 14 days^
Category 1 countries/areas
Wuhan city and Hubei Province (China) (see map)
Iran
Daegu or Cheongdo (South Korea)
Any Italian town under containment measures (see map)

Category 2 countries/areas
Cambodia
China*
Hong Kong
Italy*
Japan
Laos
Macao
Malaysia
Myanmar
South Korea*
Singapore
Taiwan
Thailand
Vietnam
*Except areas of the country specifically referred to in Category 1.

Category 1 countries/areas:
If you are well, and have returned from these specific areas/country in the past 14 days, follow the self-isolation advice from PHE. Stay indoors and avoid contact with other people as you would with the flu.

Your family do not need to take any precautions or make any changes to their own activities. Call NHS 111 (or regional contacts below) to inform them of your recent travel to the area.

If you become unwell you should follow the self-isolation advice from PHE and immediately call:

NHS 111 (England and Wales)Public Health Agency 0300 200 7885 (Northern Ireland)Your GP or NHS24 111 (Scotland)

Category 2 countries/areas:
If you are well, you do not need to self-isolate. Your family do not need to take any precautions or make any changes to their own activities.

However, if you become unwell within 14 days after return from these countries/areas you should follow the self-isolation advice from PHE....
I though for a moment or ten that I was going to benefit from a company sanctioned request not to go back to work. But it seems we have several colleagues who live in high risk European locations, and our staffing levels may be about to get hit.
Last edited by Freightdog on Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

samrong01 wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 1:22 pm Amidst the general hysteria I suppose it is futile to point out that Coronavirus does not affect children.
Can’t wait for (your link to) the peer reviewed study proving that statement.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

The best advice I have seen is in government posters plastered all around Singapore:
3. Wash hands regularly

EXACTLY:

Masks are useless to prevent you catching it and to prevent the spread, if you got it and know you have it, it you should be in a hospital

Biggest concern is the millions that have it, but only a mild case and are out and about as if everything is normal but they are passing it on and are spreading it the old who can get seriously sick.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:12 pm The best advice I have seen is in government posters plastered all around Singapore:
3. Wash hands regularly

EXACTLY:

Masks are useless to prevent you catching it and to prevent the spread, if you got it and know you have it, it you should be in a hospital

Biggest concern is the millions that have it, but only a mild case and are out and about as if everything is normal but they are passing it on and are spreading it the old who can get seriously sick.
You should be in hospital and give it to all the patients that have been in traffic accidents, have had heart attacks or other sickness problems . Yea,
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Shazza
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Shazza »

Great idea, there is to many threads in different area's on CEO, took me my whole lunch break to find and read. Now a one stop thread brilliant. I'm going to pattaya early April, maybe one for thailand? In the thailand section please 🤞😉
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Shazza wrote: Sun Mar 08, 2020 2:50 pm Great idea, there is to many threads in different area's on CEO, took me my whole lunch break to find and read. Now a one stop thread brilliant. I'm going to pattaya early April, maybe one for thailand? In the thailand section please 🤞😉
Thailand
topic36476.html
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic