Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by nemo »

Seems like it is less detectable.
Otherwise how would so many evade the tests?
The medics say PCR work fine on omicron- you wil find a lot of hits by search.
I think it likely it has been around for a lot longer than 4 days and is widespread already.

The great hope is mild severity with a high infection rate and the ability to confer immunity- otherwise we will start over again.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by Kammekor »

nemo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:45 pm Seems like it is less detectable.
I think it likely it has been around for a lot longer than 4 days and is widespread already.

The great hope is mild severity with a high infection rate and the ability to confer immunity- otherwise we will start over again.
The passengers on the Amsterdam flight didn't require a pre flight PCR test. Proof of vaccination or antibodies was ok too.

The odds of 13 Omicron carriers out of 624 this weekend in Amsterdam (tested because the news broke out) and none in the days before is of course zero. So the dogs are out and time will tell how hard they bite.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Covid live news: Netherlands confirms at least 13 Omicron cases; Austria and Australia report first cases

At least 13 of 61 cases on two flights into Netherlands are new variant; Austria becomes latest country to detect Omicron; Sajid Javid says UK should still plan for Christmas ‘as normal’.

https://www.msn.com/en-xl/news/other/co ... gdhp&pfr=1
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

nemo wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:45 pm Seems like it is less detectable.

Apparently it is easy to detect on a PCR because there is a 'miss' on one the genomes. The others all show positive but this one produces a miss. I found this which explains it better than I do:

A mutation in the Omicron variant, called the S-gene dropout, could be identified through the widely-used polymerase chain reaction (PCR) test, the World Health Organisation (WHO) said. This is because the S-gene on the spike protein doesn’t amplify well and won’t be detected when the test is processed.

This why authorities are scrambling to reintroduce PCR's on all arrivals (UK for example). I can't find anything on the rapid tests but I suppose if you set one of those off at an airport you're going to get the full PCR test as well.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/national/health ... cron-cases
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

How do I go about acquiring a booster jab? Who do I call where do I go?

I found dozens of articles promoting boosters but none of them are willing to tell me how to go about getting one.
Scarier than malaria.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Give Preah Ang Duong Hospital a call
https://goo.gl/maps/w95NmDq7h2heKdLY9
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

ali baba wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:18 pm How do I go about acquiring a booster jab? Who do I call where do I go?

I found dozens of articles promoting boosters but none of them are willing to tell me how to go about getting one.
You would think that the one's organising the vaccines would be more helpful, due to He's words not to leave anyone out, no matter who they are. But I think most places who are giving the vaccinations are now continuous in there effort.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Place your bets! Will Cambodia do anything further to stop/slow down the importation of Omicron or has the decision been made to open and stay open, come what may?

Cambodia has now joined Singapore and Thailand in banning visitors from several African countries to prevent the spread of the dangerous new Omicron mutation.

Experts are now calling for the additional banning of passengers from Omicron hit countries entering Cambodia – which would include the USA, the UK, Australia and many European countries.

Medical consultant Dr Kun Chhay said that the new strain B.1.1.529 (omicron) will definitely hit the Kingdom in a month or two since “we have not put in place strict measures to prevent or delay its entry”.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50980554/c ... on-threat/

Meanwhile, as the temperature plummets to 15c, this is causing concern for public health.

While people across the Kingdom are bundling up in whatever warm clothing they can find, four provinces will be especially hard hit with temperatures dropping as low as 15°C which could cause the elderly and children to suffer health problems.

Preah Vihear Provincial Department of Health director Dr Kong Lo told Khmer Times yesterday that respiratory system, heart disease and high blood pressure may react to the cold temperatures.

Authorities have offered pillows and winter coats to poor people but there is not enough for everyone so people must take care of their health and keep warm by themselves by making a fire at home, drinking warm water, wearing a winter coat and avoiding going out at night if not necessary.

What could possibly go wrong...

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50980058/c ... s-kingdom/
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

Most of the media has really been at it with the fear-mongering and Omicron click-bait bullshit. It'll likely take weeks to determine the nature of this variant, but the early data really doesn't look too bad. Evidence points to higher transmissibility with fewer/less severe symptoms (which is generally how viruses tend to evolve). Reports from South Africa mention mild symptoms, even in unvaccinated patients. Hopefully people will be vigilant without all the reactionary panic garbage. Link below.

https://www.reuters.com/world/africa/sa ... 021-11-28/
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

nemo wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 6:40 pm Give Preah Ang Duong Hospital a call
https://goo.gl/maps/w95NmDq7h2heKdLY9
Thanks for the help. Unfortunately that phone no. is out of date and when I went in person it was super busy so I didn't even bother talking to anyone. I'll try going late at night just to get the phone no.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic