Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by IraHayes »

LoukBongThom wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:52 am
IraHayes wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:15 am
LoukBongThom wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 6:54 am Countries just got some upper hand over Delta, now Omicron variant showed up in South Africa last week, and stated to be more powerful than Delta. Cases are observed in neighboring countries, and and one case is already observed in Hong Kong. Hope the new variant does not ruin the plan of open up borders for travelling.
Do you even pause to think after reading anything on the Internet?
Did you? I am not a virologist, so I go with WHO and news. And I don't act like I know everything, and then guessing "what if" ...
I do. And I actually look at the words I read and their meanings. Hence why I pointed out your lack of understanding of the word "powerful" when describing the new COVID variant.
But, to be fair, it's not your fault. You are simply parroting what you read in the news. And the media loves to ramp things up. It would have been even scarier if they were to include the huge uptick in fatalities being experienced by S. Africa following the emergence of this new variant. A variant to be scared of, a variant that would truly be more "powerful" would be one that has a mortality rate similar to SARS or MERS. Where 30% of all cases were fatal. That would be a more deadly variant but "powerful" ?? do you still not see that that word is meaningless? The media used it as it is ambiguous, it portrays a sense of danger without defining the danger.

On a related note. I do worry a variant will emerge that hits those SARS and MERS fatality figures but I am not laying awake at night losing sleep over it. Sorry major news corporations, but I have bigger things to worry about that I can actually have control over. I refuse to lose sleep over something that is out of my control. I will, however, take measures for my own safety when and if such a variant emerges. And one of those will be standing at the head of the queue for the latest vaccine!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by timmydownawell »

Really need a desperate push by the rest of the world to get Africa's vaccination numbers up.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Israel has closed borders to non citizens for 14 days
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I seem to remember that Israel were the first out of the traps last year in closing their borders.
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:59 am Really need a desperate push by the rest of the world to get Africa's vaccination numbers up.
Africa vaccination rate in general is very low. Even S Africa, considered to have better economy in the region, the fully vaxx rate is only around 24% as of now.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 11:59 am Really need a desperate push by the rest of the world to get Africa's vaccination numbers up.

The same could be said of North America and Europe. What is their excuse for only achieving 60% fully vaccinated. It's time governments stopped kid-gloving these people.

But yes, I agree that Africa have been left to twist in the wind, but it is no surprise rich nations that invented the vaccines went all out to protect their own citizens first. It's equally no surprise that nowhere in Africa managed to get their shit together.

Anyway, that chart might be about to get reset to 0% if Omicron dodge's all the vaccines!
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:35 pm But yes, I agree that Africa have been left to twist in the wind, but it is no surprise rich nations that invented the vaccines went all out to protect their own citizens first. It's equally no surprise that nowhere in Africa managed to get their shit together.
It's the low vaccination rates that will lead to worse variants. A few weeks ago I saw Australia had pledged to send 2 or 3 million doses to Cambodia. And I thought, seriously, we're fine. Why send them to one of the most vaccinated countries on the planet? Send them to Africa!
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
johnnywalker3
Expatriate

Post by johnnywalker3 »

If everyone is vaccinated then the only mutations that will survive will be vaccine resistant. Viruses mutate rapidly. I would think vaccinated people would like to have some invaded around so there is at least a chance that their shot will protect them from a new mutation.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:46 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 12:35 pm But yes, I agree that Africa have been left to twist in the wind, but it is no surprise rich nations that invented the vaccines went all out to protect their own citizens first. It's equally no surprise that nowhere in Africa managed to get their shit together.
It's the low vaccination rates that will lead to worse variants. A few weeks ago I saw Australia had pledged to send 2 or 3 million doses to Cambodia. And I thought, seriously, we're fine. Why send them to one of the most vaccinated countries on the planet? Send them to Africa!
Even with China being heavily invested in Africa there is one big problem to achieving high levels of vaccination, and that problem is 1,300,000,000. That's the same problem as India, but even with all India's technical capabilities and money to throw at the problem, they have only achieved 30% fully vaccinated. They gave us Delta as a result.

Africa is a collection of countries with varying degrees of terrible governments and shambolic healthcare systems, plus a whole load of other problems from national and local rivalries to terrible rural road systems. I doubt they will ever achieve much more than 40% and that still leaves 800,000,000 unvaccinated.

The world is in a serious bind. Current vaccines prevent neither infection nor re-infection and they don't even prevent it being passed on. They are little more than pre-infection medication. There is no reason to believe this will ever burn itself out if it can continually find new hosts. Omricon is Covid's latest creation and if it is as bad as some experts predict, the world will be playing catch up again.

The only ray of light for you Timmy is that if the shape if the spike proteins are so dramatically different its evades the vaccines and treatments, the scientific lynchpin of Ivermectin goes out of the window too! :D That's all the good news I can think of.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Spigzy »

If Africa's vaccination rate is 10% and the virus is now well into it's second year, I guess the death toll must be catastrophic there? What are the figures - any reliable sources?
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic