Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 8:20 am
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm
Freightdog wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:55 pm Specifically concerning Khmer, and with all the donated vaccines, I only ever hear about sino- vaccines, and the voiced mistrust among some locals. Is this a Khmer misinterpretation/generalisation that they generally don’t know about any other vaccines, or have no other vaccines been administered?
Apart from Sinopharm/Sinovac they only got 220k doses of AZ. Now another 1m AZ finally coming, donated by Japan and 1m J&J from the US. The AZ will be used for third shots, and who knows about the J&J, maybe they will use those for that as well. They all seem to perform better when mix and matched.
err...cough cough...us Poms donated 415,000 of AZ too. It is a "direct" donation, outside the Covax scheme, which means it is designed to kiss asses.

Along with the Japanese and US donations, this will provide plenty of opportunity for Cambodia's elites and their families, drivers and maids etc, can get a booster shot of the good stuff.

Once this process in complete, and they once again feel safe, normal life can be restored.
This was something else I was going to touch on. 1.5m AZ doses sure as hell isn't going to stretch to 13m people. So I wonder if they will bite the bullet and actually purchase some? EU got a great deal buying AZ at $2.15/dose, UK and US paid $3-4. I wonder how much Cambodia paid for their Sino* purchases by comparison.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 9:43 am
Freightdog wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 6:55 pm Specifically concerning Khmer, and with all the donated vaccines, I only ever hear about sino- vaccines, and the voiced mistrust among some locals. Is this a Khmer misinterpretation/generalisation that they generally don’t know about any other vaccines, or have no other vaccines been administered?
Apart from Sinopharm/Sinovac they only got 220k doses of AZ. Now another 1m AZ finally coming, donated by Japan and 1m J&J from the US. The AZ will be used for third shots, and who knows about the J&J, maybe they will use those for that as well. They all seem to perform better when mix and matched.
err...cough cough...us Poms donated 415,000 of AZ too. It is a "direct" donation, outside the Covax scheme, which means it is designed to kiss asses.

Along with the Japanese and US donations, this will provide plenty of opportunity for Cambodia's elites and their families, drivers and maids etc, can get a booster shot of the good stuff.

Once this process in complete, and they once again feel safe, normal life can be restored.
This was something else I was going to touch on. 1.5m AZ doses sure as hell isn't going to stretch to 13m people. So I wonder if they will bite the bullet and actually purchase some? EU got a great deal buying AZ at $2.15/dose, UK and US paid $3-4. I wonder how much Cambodia paid for their Sino* purchases by comparison.
I think that buying more is much easier said than done. Order books are full and given Cambodia's advanced vaccination programme compared to others, they can't really play the sympathy card. This is why I question how the private clinics will be able to undertake vaccinations with western vaccines without it's supplies being diverted from the donated stock.

I don't think the U.K., Japan and the U.S. will be too chuffed to see its 415,000 doses being sold off for $100+? a shot at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:02 am

I think that buying more is much easier said than done. Order books are full and given Cambodia's advanced vaccination programme compared to others, they can't really play the sympathy card. This is why I question how the private clinics will be able to undertake vaccinations with western vaccines without it's supplies being diverted from the donated stock.

I don't think the U.K., Japan and the U.S. will be too chuffed to see its 415,000 doses being sold off for $100+? a shot at the Royal Phnom Penh Hospital.
Australia will have surplus AZ in a few months as they are manufacturing it, but have said they will stop using it due to a huge beat up by the media and a lot of people no longer trusting it. :facepalm:

Meanwhile I see another 600k J&J doses have touched down in PP.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Little_Vicious »

I would wager that doses of the India-produced Covishield (just Astra Zeneca manufactured abroad) will be on the market soon. Now that they have gotten out of the last surge, they are on pace to produce about 120 million doses per month (this also includes the Covaxin vaccine, though I don't have much information on that one at the present moment). It also looks like they are developing a third, homegrown vaccine. See link below for a bit more detail.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... p-in-cases
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

I honestly don't think they would give a shit, because if that did happen, you know the people here would not give a shit about it too.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Total of 223 Delta Variants of COVID-19 found in Cambodia, five detected in Phnom Penh

Is this what you call exponential? Doubling in 4 days. And that's what they know about. The next few weeks will be interesting with this new kid on the block.

Cambodia has earlier reported that a total of 114 COVID-19 patients have been detected with the Delta Variant of the SARS-CoV-2 virus as of July 27. This figure has now increased to 223 cases as of August 1.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50906455/t ... hnom-penh/
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Little_Vicious wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 10:36 am

I would wager that doses of the India-produced Covishield (just Astra Zeneca manufactured abroad) will be on the market soon. Now that they have gotten out of the last surge, they are on pace to produce about 120 million doses per month (this also includes the Covaxin vaccine, though I don't have much information on that one at the present moment). It also looks like they are developing a third, homegrown vaccine. See link below for a bit more detail.

https://asia.nikkei.com/Spotlight/Coron ... p-in-cases
130 million a month is enough for 60million adults.

There are 940 million adults in India so that's 1.88 billion doses needed. They have administered 350 million doses so far, so that still leaves 1.6 Billion required, or 12 months production. Then add on the youth, say another 150 million. Plus any booster shots that are then required 6-12 months after the first two, so maybe another 1.2 billion required.

I can't se why India would want to sell any. They already have outstanding contracts that they failed to honour when they banned export earlier in the year but have now exporting to those existing customers. Why they would want to sell a million or so to Cambodia in preference to their own population would be odd.

Maybe they will, just as the UK and the US have done, and helped out Cambodia to try and drive a wedge between them and China, now that the Chinese vaccines are openly being side-lined for the now needed booster shots.

Xi Jinping must be furious.
Pizzalover
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Pizzalover »

Since Indian-made Astra Zeneca has been mentioned: Buyers should be aware that the vaccination is NOT recognized within the EU as Indian production standards do not meet EU requirement.
The Japanese-made should be ok although I have no direct info while the British-made is ok.
LoukBongThom
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by LoukBongThom »

AndyKK wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 9:42 pm
PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:48 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Sun Aug 01, 2021 7:14 pm ... and who knows about the J&J
PM said today he plans to prioritise their use in remote locations, as it eases the burden logistically because only 1 dose is required.
And if it turns out the Chinese vaccines were not effective, then thats what most of the population will have. One dose.
I think the sino-something vaxx gets some efficacy, not zero. Let's call it 1.5 doses after the AZ booster shot. Still better than the 0.5 shot if no booster is done.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Pizzalover wrote: Mon Aug 02, 2021 2:10 pm Since Indian-made Astra Zeneca has been mentioned: Buyers should be aware that the vaccination is NOT recognized within the EU as Indian production standards do not meet EU requirement.
Not correct. The EU (playing politics imho) has only said it has not received the paperwork it requires, it has not said the Indian production is below standard.

EU regulators said AstraZeneca hasn't completed the necessary paperwork on the Indian factory, including details on its production practices and quality control standards.

But some experts describe the EU move as discriminatory and unscientific, pointing out that the World Health Organization has inspected and approved the factory. Health officials say the situation will not only complicate travel and frustrate fragile economies but also undermine vaccine confidence by appearing to label some shots substandard.

source: https://www.indiatoday.in/coronavirus-o ... 2021-07-13

Meanwhile (despite the EU decision) France has unilaterally decided to accept the Indian made vaccine because it has been widely used in the UK and they don't want to turn away money spending English holidaymakers.
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/fran ... 85822.html
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic