Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by timmydownawell »

atst wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:05 am As of July 20, Cambodia had recorded a total of 68,796 Covid-19 cases with 61,039 recoveries and 1,149 fatalities and still no news on the whores who started this.
They're a useful scapegoat, but this isn't all their fault. The Delta variant got here somehow and it wasn't from them. Porous borders have a lot to answer for.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Pseudonomdeplume
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by Pseudonomdeplume »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:44 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:40 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am Also, Cambodia's deaths (rolling seven days) have doubled in a month.

Would you say it's a high death rate compared to the numbers they are saying are tested possitive?(sick)
Well, yes. Anyway just coming back to my original feelings: Cambodia is not testing nearly enough people to know how many cases there are. They should be doing >100k tests/day. And they'd find the case numbers to be significantly higher than the 800+ currently reported. What they would do with that information I don't know. Their strategy seems to be to just to roll out the vaccines in the most affected areas ASAP in the hope that they will eventually get on top of it. As Doc notes there aren't nearly enough ICU beds. And the field hospitals got maxed out with probably mostly asymptomatic cases, which is why they're now allowing people to isolate at home. Just have to keep on masking up, minimising contact and ride it out until the whole country is vaccinated I guess.
The resilience and agility of the health and social care system is definitely a factor for a high mortality rate, but I don’t think it accounts for an increase or spike.
Seasonality, temperature seems a feasiblity, normally. But it is cooling off here.
You would also need estimates of how many deaths would have occurred without the pandemic.
If healthcare workers are stretched, I would say they have assigned any death in a person with confirmed or suspect SARS-CoV-2 infection to COVID-19; some of these deaths might have been in patients with multiple existing chronic conditions; long-term conditions such as obesity, diabetes and vascular and kidney diseases. Many of these were already a high risk of dying.
There might have even been a reduction in deaths from influenza and other respiratory infections because of reduced contact among people, as well as a decline in traffic injuries, falls and violence as people spent more time at home.
Age is definitely a factor, which doesn’t correspond to KoW however, how healthy is the populous? Obesity isn’t abundant. But it is in NZ, where there were few deaths.
What does correspond here is:
The timing of the lockdown in relation to when initial infections occurred affects the peak number of people who are infected, which drives both the number of deaths from COVID-19 and the pressure on the healthcare system that takes away routine care for other diseases. The stringency of the lockdown, together with the extent and effectiveness of testing, contract tracing and isolation, determines how long it takes for the number of cases to return to low levels and can therefore account for some of the variations in the intensity and duration of excess deaths.
The lockdowns here went from as stringent as getting whacked with a stick and a year in jail, to checking on home parties and pubs, to making establishments pay to discretely operate, to non-existent.
Testing and tracing leaves a lot wanting, and isolation seems to have gone the way of lockdowns.
Sweden, the only country I know of, that did not put in place a mandatory lockdown and used only voluntary social distancing measures, had one of the longest durations of excess mortality.
Scent from Dan's Durians & Perfumierie
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

From the no comment Covid thread on Siem Reap vaccinations for foreigners: post503230.html#p503230
@Kammekor
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:52 am Foreign Residents In Siem Reap Able To Be Vaccinated Free of Charge
Cambodia News (Siem Reap Province): According to the Siem Reap authorities on July 20, 2021, at 8:00 am, foreign residents who live and work in Siem Reap are able to receive the Covid19 vaccine free of charge voluntarily.
The location of the inoculation will be at the local health centers.
This rollout will be for the foreign residents who submitted a request form to the Siem Reap provincial administration department. All foreigners who voluntarily acquire for inoculation of the Covid19 vaccine shall register in person at the city administration department with the following requirements.
1. Passport with a valid visa at least on July 30, 2021
2. Foreigners with an expired visa shall get the visa extended before registration
3. Health certificate or doctor description( if applicable)
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:52 am 2. Foreigners with an expired visa shall get the visa extended before registration
Luvky bastards. I paid 280$ just days ago. :stir:
I read that as: Foreigners with an expired visa MUST get the visa extended before registration. ie. Free vaccinations are only for foreigners who are in Cambodia legally. If you want the vaccine, then you must show the visa.
I could be wrong.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Anchor Moy wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:51 am
Kammekor wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:06 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 1:52 am 2. Foreigners with an expired visa shall get the visa extended before registration
Luvky bastards. I paid 280$ just days ago. :stir:
I read that as: Foreigners with an expired visa MUST get the visa extended before registration. ie. Free vaccinations are only for foreigners who are in Cambodia legally. If you want the vaccine, then you must show the visa.
I could be wrong.
@Anchor Moy you read that correct, people with expired Visas must apply, pay for and and be in possession of a valid Visa EOS to be eligible for vaccination in SR, that includes those sill claiming to be "stuck" here on expired Tourist Visas. @Kammekor , they are not getting free Visa EOS's :lol:
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

No, I am fully aware, hence the addition of :stir: in my post.

I should have posted it in the thread about talking 'pidgin English' because this is just one of those examples where the incorrect use of a verb changes the meaning of the sentence.
Apollo91881
Expatriate
France

Post by Apollo91881 »

timmydownawell wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 8:21 am
atst wrote: Wed Jul 21, 2021 4:05 am As of July 20, Cambodia had recorded a total of 68,796 Covid-19 cases with 61,039 recoveries and 1,149 fatalities and still no news on the whores who started this.
They're a useful scapegoat, but this isn't all their fault. The Delta variant got here somehow and it wasn't from them. Porous borders have a lot to answer for.
Sure, useful scapegoat. I too would like to know though, as well as the outcome of a detailed investigation from the competent authorities regarding who got them out and travelled around town with them.

However, you know what they say, shit in one hand and wish in the other and let’s see which one fills up faster 😉
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Police are Getting Tested
Cambodia News, (Phnom Penh): On Thursday, July 22, 2021 at 8:30am, following the instructions of His Excellency Lt. Gen. Thet, Deputy Commissioner, the team of Dangkor District Police conducted a quick test for all officers who came to work at both administrative police stations.
47 people were tested, and among them, one positive Covid-19 was found: Lt. Sous Sina, ID number 733270, the position of Deputy Chief of Justice.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

This is getting ridiculous. Test random asymptomatic people going to work every two days or what? Nice plan...
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Doc67 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 am
timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am Also, Cambodia's deaths (rolling seven days) have doubled in a month.

I think, and it is pure speculation, that the sudden rise and holding in deaths to around the 30 a day mark, was because there were so many that were very sick and not enough facilities to treat them. I know it sounds morbid, but I suspect some tough decisions were taken. This has been happening in all parts of the world where ICU facilities are maxed out.
One question, is it your speculation that says the sick are being cared for and facilities are full with covid19 patients, is that why other, such has private hospitals have now got approval to treat the people with the illness. Or may it be the centres that had cared for the Covid sick, lessening the numbers, have passed on some responsibility too other hospitals, with home treatment too for many.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Thu Jul 22, 2021 8:21 pm
Doc67 wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:47 am

I think, and it is pure speculation, that the sudden rise and holding in deaths to around the 30 a day mark, was because there were so many that were very sick and not enough facilities to treat them. I know it sounds morbid, but I suspect some tough decisions were taken. This has been happening in all parts of the world where ICU facilities are maxed out.
One question, is it your speculation that says the sick are being cared for and facilities are full with covid19 patients, is that why other, such has private hospitals have now got approval to treat the people with the illness. Or may it be the centres that had cared for the Covid sick, lessening the numbers, have passed on some responsibility too other hospitals, with home treatment too for many.
My speculation is based entirely on an acute lack of ICU facilities. When people have been in there for weeks with no improvement or continuing decline, plus the queue of people who need ICU care increasing all around them, sooner or later the doctors are going to have to make life and death decisions - literally. Death for one and the chance of life for someone else.

This has been happening in a lot of places around the world and once the ICU's here were full and the queue for places continued to grow, the sudden increase in daily death rates, and them holding there, suggests that those tough decisions are being made.

In short, the lack of proper medical facilities here means if you get Covid very bad and need ICU, your chances of survival are much less than if you were in somewhere more developed. You might have 2 weeks in there and then it's good night Vienna.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic