Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Little_Vicious
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by Little_Vicious »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:32 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm Given the virus tends to spread exponentially without meaningful lockdowns, I present this possibility/hypothetical. Testing is woefully inadequate here, and I truly believe the reported case numbers are a fraction of the real situation.

Daily deaths have been relatively stable for 2-4 (?) weeks now (let's say 30 / day) so until about two weeks ago there has not been a exponential rise I think.

What makes you think there has been an exponential rise ever since? AFAIK nothing has changed over the last two weeks
My speculation is purely because Cambodia's line on the graph has plateaued despite no real action having been taken to cause that to happen. Compared to TH/VN it seems... highly unlikely.
While I don't think that Sinovac is by any means the best vaccine available, I do think it may be putting a dent in the number of people testing positive, even if it's just from keeping people from getting so sick that they seek a test/hospitalization. I'm not sure about the stats, but surely vaccinating 99% of the adults in the country's most populous city would be just as meaningful as a lockdown in some fashion. At this point, just about everyone in PP should have the fullest extent of immunity granted by the vax.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by timmydownawell »

Also, Cambodia's deaths (rolling seven days) have doubled in a month.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am Also, Cambodia's deaths (rolling seven days) have doubled in a month.

Would you say it's a high death rate compared to the numbers they are saying are tested possitive?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:08 am Also, Cambodia's deaths (rolling seven days) have doubled in a month.

I think, and it is pure speculation, that the sudden rise and holding in deaths to around the 30 a day mark, was because there were so many that were very sick and not enough facilities to treat them. I know it sounds morbid, but I suspect some tough decisions were taken. This has been happening in all parts of the world where ICU facilities are maxed out.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:40 am

Would you say it's a high death rate compared to the numbers they are saying are tested possitive?
Well, yes. Anyway just coming back to my original feelings: Cambodia is not testing nearly enough people to know how many cases there are. They should be doing >100k tests/day. And they'd find the case numbers to be significantly higher than the 800+ currently reported. What they would do with that information I don't know. Their strategy seems to be to just to roll out the vaccines in the most affected areas ASAP in the hope that they will eventually get on top of it. As Doc notes there aren't nearly enough ICU beds. And the field hospitals got maxed out with probably mostly asymptomatic cases, which is why they're now allowing people to isolate at home. Just have to keep on masking up, minimising contact and ride it out until the whole country is vaccinated I guess.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:44 am
AndyKK wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 9:40 am

Well, yes. Anyway just coming back to my original feelings: Cambodia is not testing nearly enough people to know how many cases there are. They should be doing >100k tests/day. And they'd find the case numbers to be significantly higher than the 800+ currently reported. What they would do with that information I don't know. Their strategy seems to be to just to roll out the vaccines in the most affected areas ASAP in the hope that they will eventually get on top of it. As Doc notes there aren't nearly enough ICU beds. And the field hospitals got maxed out with probably mostly asymptomatic cases, which is why they're now allowing people to isolate at home. Just have to keep on masking up, minimising contact and ride it out until the whole country is vaccinated I guess.
You and I have been on the same page regarding testing for a long time.

A mate of mine has a wife, a daughter and the in-laws all in one house. He said to his wife the other day, "I haven't seen or heard many ambulances lately". She translated this to her father who happens to be a policeman. He said, "they have nowhere to take them, everywhere is full".

True story. And I suspect a true state of affairs.

Cambodia is going for herd immunity, with the help of the vaccine to stop as many people as possible getting very sick or dying. It's going to get and stay messy for quite a while.
canucklhead
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by canucklhead »

Yesterday it was reported that cases fell, treated rose and deaths were down. Give it a rest .
The numbers reported are pretty small given the population. Where are all these sick people? I havent seen any. The qt centerrs are full of bored positive tested people that largely arent sick.
The only death Ive personally heard of was of a woman who had the jab and died 24 hrs later. She was 45 and overweight but no health issues to that point. Its obvious by now the Chinese vaccines arent effective and are not recognised in the western world for travel.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Jul 20, 2021 8:23 am
Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:32 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm Given the virus tends to spread exponentially without meaningful lockdowns, I present this possibility/hypothetical. Testing is woefully inadequate here, and I truly believe the reported case numbers are a fraction of the real situation.

Daily deaths have been relatively stable for 2-4 (?) weeks now (let's say 30 / day) so until about two weeks ago there has not been a exponential rise I think.

What makes you think there has been an exponential rise ever since? AFAIK nothing has changed over the last two weeks
My speculation is purely because Cambodia's line on the graph has plateaued despite no real action having been taken to cause that to happen. Compared to TH/VN it seems... highly unlikely.
If the vaccine is working it is likely there's a major difference between Cambodia and its' neighbors. Just imagine Vietnam had Ho Chi Minh and Hanoi vaccinated, and Thailand had Bangkok vaccinated, that would make a large difference in those countries I think.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

timmydownawell wrote:
TWY wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:45 pm I'd agree that there are many unreported cases. But I'd also point to the successful drive to get folks vaccinated. At the very least those that are vaccinated face a much lower rate of hospitalization (which is when I assume much of those testing positive are actually tested) and death.

Both Thailand and Vietnam are way behind Cambodia in that regard. So over time I'd expect Cambodia to see a less steep curve - partially due to lack of testing, but also due to fewer people becoming "seriously" sick with Covid. That would allow most people who are mildly sick to ride it out at home. Folks everywhere pretty much know they don't want to be tested if not really sick and risk getting sent off to quarantine.
Yes there is a very high level of vaccination in PP but not in the provinces, many of which are reporting 100+ cases a day. Meanwhile vaccinated people in PP are testing positive (e.g. 45 people in Toul Tumpoung Pagoda yesterday). Vaccinated people might not get (very) sick but there are still the unvaccinated adults, children to worry about (12+yos are now starting to get jabs). My point was really that the official numbers are likely very misleading and I'm curious what would be revealed if they were testing >100k/day instead of a pitiful 6/7k.

In addition there will be less resistance to being tested now that they have accepted that mild cases can stay at home.
You don't need to worry for the ones under 30, much less "children" under 18.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

As of July 20, Cambodia had recorded a total of 68,796 Covid-19 cases with 61,039 recoveries and 1,149 fatalities and still no news on the whores who started this.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic