Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Information for those of you who are diplomats or government agents...

Foreign Diplomats, UN Agents Can Quarantine at Himawari Hotel
AKP Phnom Penh, July 17, 2021 --

Foreign diplomats, and officials of UN agencies and international organisations holding diplomatic visa A can quarantine at Himawari Hotel in Phnom Penh.

This is for those who do not have separate residence, said H.E. Prof. Mam Bunheng, Minister of Health and Head of Inter-ministerial Commission for Combatting COVID-19, in a recent letter to Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs and International Cooperation H.E. Prak Sokhonn.

All expenses are borne by the quarantined person or the embassy or UN agency or international organisation, underlined H.E. Minister.
Those having separate residence can quarantine at their own places.
- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:09 pm Information for those of you who are diplomats or government agents...

The AKP & PPP are only several months behind on publishing this information :facepalm: This isn't new news whatsoever, the official directive relating to this was issued, and implemented, months ago. What is the purpose of reporting this now?

A-type (Diplomatic) Visa holders are permitted to self-quarantine at an approved Embassy Residence, or the Himawari Hotel.

B-type (Official) Visa holders cannot self-quarantine, they are required to quarantine at the Himawari hotel.

Everyone else gets sent to a quarantine hotel allocated by the MoH.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:28 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:09 pm Information for those of you who are diplomats or government agents...

The AKP & PPP are only several months behind on publishing this information :facepalm: This isn't new news whatsoever, the official directive relating to this was issued, and implemented, months ago. What is the purpose of reporting this now?

A-type (Diplomatic) Visa holders are permitted to self-quarantine at an approved Embassy Residence, or the Himawari Hotel.

B-type (Official) Visa holders cannot self-quarantine, they are required to quarantine at the Himawari hotel.

Everyone else gets sent to a quarantine hotel allocated by the MoH.
Not many diplomats reading this, no doubt, but as people on the forum are still asking if they can book a quarantine room at Himawari or Sokha, it bears repeating that the Himawari is only open for quarantining officials.

AKP also says:
Those (officials) having separate residence can quarantine at their own places.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sat Jul 17, 2021 11:52 pm but as people on the forum are still asking if they can book a quarantine room at Himawari or Sokha, it bears repeating that the Himawari is only open for quarantining officials.

AKP also says:
Those (officials) having separate residence can quarantine at their own places.
I wasn't questioning why you posted it, my comment was aimed at the AKP & PPP, who both published the same article today as if it were new news, which it certainly isn't.

The articles are also misleading, only A-type (Diplomatic) Visa holders can self-quarantine at an approved residence, B-type Visa holders can't, they have to quarantine at the Himawari...the statements/authors don't seem to understand the difference between A-type (Diplomatic) & B-type (Official ie. International organisations such as UN, Red-Cross, etc.) Visas.

The Media are responsible for spreading so much (unintentional obviously) misinformation, and publishing blatantly incorrect information about entry requirements and restrictions since the beginning of COVID-19 related restrictions by not conducting thorough research, or through very poor wording in their articles.

Oh, and myself and numerous others have clearly stated dozens of times in relevant threads that since the end of November last year, regular travellers cannot pre-book or choose their quarantine hotel (although that may be changing again soon).
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 12:19 am
Oh, and myself and numerous others have clearly stated dozens of times in relevant threads that since the end of November last year, regular travellers cannot pre-book or choose their quarantine hotel (although that may be changing again soon).
@PSD-Kiwi This was one of the reasons CEO News decided to post the AKP not-so-new news. (To give you guys a break.)

Taking time here to thank you and all those other posters for their information about Covid, Cambodian visas and quarantine. Much appreciated by everyone.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Given the virus tends to spread exponentially without meaningful lockdowns, I present this possibility/hypothetical. Testing is woefully inadequate here, and I truly believe the reported case numbers are a fraction of the real situation.

You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

I'd agree that there are many unreported cases. But I'd also point to the successful drive to get folks vaccinated. At the very least those that are vaccinated face a much lower rate of hospitalization (which is when I assume much of those testing positive are actually tested) and death.

Both Thailand and Vietnam are way behind Cambodia in that regard. So over time I'd expect Cambodia to see a less steep curve - partially due to lack of testing, but also due to fewer people becoming "seriously" sick with Covid. That would allow most people who are mildly sick to ride it out at home. Folks everywhere pretty much know they don't want to be tested if not really sick and risk getting sent off to quarantine.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

TWY wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:45 pm I'd agree that there are many unreported cases. But I'd also point to the successful drive to get folks vaccinated. At the very least those that are vaccinated face a much lower rate of hospitalization (which is when I assume much of those testing positive are actually tested) and death.

Both Thailand and Vietnam are way behind Cambodia in that regard. So over time I'd expect Cambodia to see a less steep curve - partially due to lack of testing, but also due to fewer people becoming "seriously" sick with Covid. That would allow most people who are mildly sick to ride it out at home. Folks everywhere pretty much know they don't want to be tested if not really sick and risk getting sent off to quarantine.
Yes there is a very high level of vaccination in PP but not in the provinces, many of which are reporting 100+ cases a day. Meanwhile vaccinated people in PP are testing positive (e.g. 45 people in Toul Tumpoung Pagoda yesterday). Vaccinated people might not get (very) sick but there are still the unvaccinated adults, children to worry about (12+yos are now starting to get jabs). My point was really that the official numbers are likely very misleading and I'm curious what would be revealed if they were testing >100k/day instead of a pitiful 6/7k.

In addition there will be less resistance to being tested now that they have accepted that mild cases can stay at home.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm Given the virus tends to spread exponentially without meaningful lockdowns, I present this possibility/hypothetical. Testing is woefully inadequate here, and I truly believe the reported case numbers are a fraction of the real situation.

Daily deaths have been relatively stable for 2-4 (?) weeks now (let's say 30 / day) so until about two weeks ago there has not been a exponential rise I think.

What makes you think there has been an exponential rise ever since? AFAIK nothing has changed over the last two weeks
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:32 pm
timmydownawell wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 3:13 pm Given the virus tends to spread exponentially without meaningful lockdowns, I present this possibility/hypothetical. Testing is woefully inadequate here, and I truly believe the reported case numbers are a fraction of the real situation.

Daily deaths have been relatively stable for 2-4 (?) weeks now (let's say 30 / day) so until about two weeks ago there has not been a exponential rise I think.

What makes you think there has been an exponential rise ever since? AFAIK nothing has changed over the last two weeks
My speculation is purely because Cambodia's line on the graph has plateaued despite no real action having been taken to cause that to happen. Compared to TH/VN it seems... highly unlikely.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic