Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 12:25 am
IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 8:08 pm
Since your memory seems to fail you, maybe you should take a moment to check the original post again an then you can give your reply?
IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 pm

38k cases and 335 deaths ... so a fatality rate of 0.87%
Or, in other words, a 99.13% chance of surviving.

Or have I missed something here?
Go ahead. Answer your own question.
The Fatality rate hits 100% for people who have died from COVID

Talking of 100% fatality rates, but much less amusingly, is this fact:

The fatality rate for people who need ICU/Intubation but can't get it due to 100% ICU capacity being reached is.....100%

100% ICU capacity might well have been reached here on occasions, which could explain the sudden spikes of daily deaths of 10 or 15 in one day. I bet they wouldn't make that fact public.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Update on schools
June 22, 2021
Schools stay closed despite appeals
The Ministry of Education yesterday said that all schools will remain closed and children will continue with their online classes.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50879205/v ... e-appeals/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by Brody »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:35 pm Update on schools
June 22, 2021
The Ministry of Education yesterday said that all schools will remain closed and children will continue with their online classes.
Thank god.

Children are horrendous vectors for Covid-19..........they are often the first to fall ill and get hospitalized........hence why children are being vaccinated first.

Lets just shutter schools in perpetuity. :thumb:

Am I living in the fucking twilight zone?
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

The problem is they don't really know if children are a vector or not.
But as a father of a nine year old who has been 'learning online' for nine months during the last twelve months I plead for opening the schools asap.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:05 pm The problem is they don't really know if children are a vector or not.
But as a father of a nine year old who has been 'learning online' for nine months during the last twelve months I plead for opening the schools asap.
Your kid is probably doing ok in comparison to so many other children who don't have the means and family support to study at home, but IMO keeping schools closed is depriving the poorest kids of any education at all.

And what are these kids doing while they are not in school ? Duh, they are hanging out with other kids anyway, ( with no social distancing or adult supervision), so I don't see the point of keeping the schools closed to prevent infection.

On the other hand, I read that there are increasing numbers of Covid in Ratanakiri now. Does that /would that affect your opinion on sending your kid back to class ?
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm On the other hand, I read (see below) that there are increasing numbers of Covid in Ratanakiri now. Does that /would that affect your opinion on sending your kid back to class ?
35 mins ago - BREAKING NEWS
Ratanakiri reports 43 new Covid-19 cases
The Ratanakiri Provincial Administration announced the discovery of 43 new cases in the province on June 21. They conducted 674 tests and in that 43 were positive.

After a relatively calm situation in the province, Ratanakiri experienced a sudden spike in cases and as a preventative measure the provincial authorities has implemented several precautionary actions. The latest of this preventive measure is the Governor’s announcement to the public about restricting unnecessary travels in and out of the province on June 21.
Source- Khmer Times
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Anchor Moy wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:40 pm
Kammekor wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:05 pm The problem is they don't really know if children are a vector or not.
Your kid is probably doing ok in comparison to so many other children who don't have the means and family support to study at home, but IMO keeping schools closed is depriving the poorest kids of any education at all.

And what are these kids doing while they are not in school ? Duh, they are hanging out with other kids anyway, ( with no social distancing or adult supervision), so I don't see the point of keeping the schools closed to prevent infection.

On the other hand, I read that there are increasing numbers of Covid in Ratanakiri now. Does that /would that affect your opinion on sending your kid back to class ?
I live in a small town. Most people have given up learning in private school last year, because online learning turned out to be pretty ineffective and expensive. I know my kid is privileged but this school lockdown which has basically been in place for over a year now effects loads of children. Open the schools, now. In return I offer to keep the bars closed. For the future of Cambodia.
Any kid attending government schools has been deprived of education for over a year now. I seriously wonder if the cost of that is worth it
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

Update on schools
June 22, 2021
The Ministry of Education yesterday said that all schools will remain closed and children will continue TO SCREW AROUND AND LEARN NOTHING.

Just wanted to correct the slight mistake they had in the story. Children around here aren't learning a thing. Some of the older children do a page of schoolwork a week.... and those are the studious ones. Mostly they are out riding bikes, playing ball, watching tv and looking at phones. I know of a few that are actually working. At this point many of them have been consigned to future tuk tuk drivers or construction workers.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

TWY wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:53 pm Update on schools
June 22, 2021
The Ministry of Education yesterday said that all schools will remain closed and children will continue TO SCREW AROUND AND LEARN NOTHING.

Just wanted to correct the slight mistake they had in the story. Children around here aren't learning a thing. Some of the older children do a page of schoolwork a week.... and those are the studious ones. Mostly they are out riding bikes, playing ball, watching tv and looking at phones. I know of a few that are actually working. At this point many of them have been consigned to future tuk tuk drivers or construction workers.
I sit next to my kid while my kid is learning online litteraly every day. Starts at 7.30, ends at 10.30. Normal schooldays start at 7 and end at 11.
Out of those three online learning hours at least one hour consists of breaks, half an hour is waiting time because everyone has to finish the exercise before they continue, half an hour is waiting for a late start (teacher late, busy, whatever) or a connection problem.

Effective learning time is an hour a day, maximum. We're talking private school here. It's a big fuckup, bigger here than elsewhere but being an ex-teacher myself I know this is a major fuckup worldwide. In primary, in secondary, in uni, in higher education, everywhere. It's just sad those having the lowest risk paying a major price at this time
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's a total mess for all involved, I think that the building blocks we're in place to reopen the schools. Even having the teachers at the front of the list for vaccination. But it's effectively the privite and government school's alike. I know of a school owner who is still paying for a handful of Cambodian teachers, the covid19 just emerged, then closer of the new school he had just bought, he had been hoping from the beginning that schools would be allowed to reopen. Also on the other hand, my partners son after being out of his lessons for one month, he found work, labouring for construction and local farm work, $160 per month avarage pay,. It will be difficult for him to return to school if they open soon, but he is only 12.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic