Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by timmydownawell »

In the absence of case numbers for Phnom Penh being announced, I did an exercise.

I started with the national total yesterday: 471. I then added up all the provincial totals posted by Noan on Twitter. They came to 520-something. So I guess either some of those totals were from a previous day, or the "national total" is not correct. There are obviously enough new cases in PP to justify re-implementing Orange Zones around the city. And enough for them to continue to rule out reopening schools. The secrecy about it concerns me a little.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Following the Coronavirus (COVID-19) Outbreak - News and Discussion

Post by Kammekor »

IraHayes wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:44 pm
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 2:58 pm Image
COVID-19: Tally Rises to 38,427 with 468 New Cases
AKP Phnom Penh, June 13, 2021 --

The total confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Cambodia jumped to 38,427 this morning with the detection of 468 new infections.

According to a press release of the Ministry of Health, 31 of the new cases are imported and the rest are community cases linked to the Feb. 20 incident.

At the same time, 636 more patients have successfully recovered from COVID-19; the total recovered cases in Cambodia now stood at 31,858.

Besides, there were 15 new coronavirus-related deaths; the total fatal cases rose to 335.
- AKP
38k cases and 335 deaths ... so a fatality rate of 0.87%
Or, in other words, a 99.13% chance of surviving.

Or have I missed something here?
Yes, you missed the potential death of all the apr. 7,000 active cases. Not all of them will die of course, but some will so the case fatality rate will turn out to be well over 1% for these 38,427 cases. Pretty high IMHO.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:46 am In the absence of case numbers for Phnom Penh being announced, I did an exercise.

I started with the national total yesterday: 471. I then added up all the provincial totals posted by Noan on Twitter. They came to 520-something. So I guess either some of those totals were from a previous day, or the "national total" is not correct. There are obviously enough new cases in PP to justify re-implementing Orange Zones around the city. And enough for them to continue to rule out reopening schools. The secrecy about it concerns me a little.
I was just doing the same thing after looking at the KT.

From the KT today, 20th June:

Svay Reng 55

Rattanakkiri 104

Koh Kong 67

Oddar Meanchey 25

Kampong Thom 26 (plus 63 on Friday)

Prey Veng 31

Total 308.

And these are just the ones they reported, it obviously isn't the true number.

Nothing about Phnom Penh at all. Do we have many cases? With numbers like these in the sticks, how is the daily grand total not going over the magic 1000 mark?

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/category/national/
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Kammekor wrote:

The total confirmed cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) in Cambodia jumped to 38,427 this morning with the detection of 468 new infections.

According to a press release of the Ministry of Health, 31 of the new cases are imported and the rest are community cases linked to the Feb. 20 incident.

At the same time, 636 more patients have successfully recovered from COVID-19; the total recovered cases in Cambodia now stood at 31,858.

Besides, there were 15 new coronavirus-related deaths; the total fatal cases rose to 335.
- AKP

Yes, you missed the potential death of all the apr. 7,000 active cases. Not all of them will die of course, but some will so the case fatality rate will turn out to be well over 1% for these 38,427 cases. Pretty high IMHO.
Over 1%. ImageImageImage

Seems you forgot to include the people that have not been tested but have catched covid (most likely a large part of society) ..​ The world wide ifr has been lowered from 0.23% to 0.15% a few weeks ago...

How​ many cycles are they running the PCR test on Image
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:13 am

- AKP

The death rate % is so distorted as to be meaningless. It is certainly far less than the 2% global average.

You can't hide deaths. Some may not get reported as Covid-19 (especially in the beginning of 2020) but generally if people get sick enough they will go to the hospital, get tested and join the Covid-19 club. However, many Covid-19 infections, possibly up to 30%, are asymptomatic, neither tested nor counted. Many infections have only mild symptoms and don't get tested either but just stay at home and recover. I suspect this is more prevalent in the countryside.

The true number of infections could be many multiples of the official figures and without mass testing it will always be supressed and therefore meaningless number. I think it is their policy. If they wanted to know the real numbers with mass testing, and make those numbers public, they could of ramped up testing by now. The fact that the positive rate is about 10% of those tested is the most revealing fact.

If the true number of infections in this country since the start of 2020 was 400,000 and not 42,000, would anyone be surprised?
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Global death rates haven't fluctuated in a meaningful manner after, what, 18 or 19 months of largely English language news media driven hysteria over covid

Said it last year here; checking all these stats daily or even weekly in the sorry excuses for media we have is not good for the head, there's too much static and babble and it's easy to end up obsessing over useless noise
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Equinix wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:11 pm
Kammekor wrote:

- AKP

Over 1%. ImageImageImage

Seems you forgot to include the people that have not been tested but have catched covid (most likely a large part of society) ..​ The world wide ifr has been lowered from 0.23% to 0.15% a few weeks ago...

Apples and pears. The question was about the people tested positive.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Jerry Atrick wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:40 pm Global death rates haven't fluctuated in a meaningful manner after, what, 18 or 19 months of largely English language news media driven hysteria over covid

Said it last year here; checking all these stats daily or even weekly in the sorry excuses for media we have is not good for the head, there's too much static and babble and it's easy to end up obsessing over useless noise
While this is true in general, the 104 cases in Ratanakiri on one day for instance is a serious health issue considering the facilities available. And that's the case in more remote places around Cambodia and around the globe
xandreu
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by xandreu »

I don't get it. I really don't.

Cases continue to rise, further lock-downs continue to be discussed, safety measures continue to be implemented, life largely remains unchanged from how it's been for the past 18 months,

So what effect, if any, has the ongoing mass vaccination of Phnom Penh had exactly?

Can anyone explain it in simple layman's terms for me please because I just can't put the pieces together.
The difference between animals and humans is that animals would never allow the dumb ones to lead the pack.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 1:13 pm
Equinix wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 12:11 pm
Kammekor wrote:

- AKP

Over 1%. ImageImageImage

Apples and pears. The question was about the people tested positive.
And in other news

The Fatality rate hits 100% for people who have died from COVID

You just deflected the whole asymptomatic case numbers just because I didn't mention them in my original post?
I must have missed the news articles about how overwhelmed the Cambodian Health services are with COVID cases.

oh wait .... whats this Mr. Google?
"phnom penh hospital overwhelmed covid"
The no. 1 article for that search string (no quotes obviously) is about stress from the fear of COVID... says it all really.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic