Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by AndyKK »

Has anyone seen the sign of the virus in their areas?
Last week I was traveling on a road nearby and I saw the ambulance with the medics all dressed in the covid gear, there was a lot of bystanders looking on. I don't know if that is normal now for the ambulance people to do so.
Also, my partner tells me on the return from the local shop someone a few streets away was just diagnosed with covid19.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates April 2021)

Post by timmydownawell »

They really are pinning their hopes on the vaccines stopping Covid spreading in PP. It was a gamble to lift the red zones but so far there's only been relatively small increases in numbers so it looks like they're getting away with it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am Has anyone seen the sign of the virus in their areas?
Last week I was traveling on a road nearby and I saw the ambulance with the medics all dressed in the covid gear, there was a lot of bystanders looking on. I don't know if that is normal now for the ambulance people to do so.
Also, my partner tells me on the return from the local shop someone a few streets away was just diagnosed with covid19.
A neighbour in my building was taken away at the beginning of May and my building was sealed. Only the next day did the sangkat release it (for whatever reason I do not know). That was quite close enough thank you.

Plenty of ambulances along Sisowath quay.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

AndyKK wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:18 am Has anyone seen the sign of the virus in their areas?
Every time I have seen an ambulance they've been suited up. And watched by a crowd of onlookers. Standard these days. My regular beer guy is still not back but his wife/store was taped off for two weeks - his wife must have tested negative because she has since reopened. The other drinks shop across from me, also closed and taped for two weeks and reopened. Their whole building (including the local doctor) was also closed and taped off, with guards stationed outside to make sure nobody left the building. Drinks shop has reopened but the doctor is still closed and he's probably at the field hospital with my regular beer guy.

Edit: I still can't get vaccinated and have to wait until they announce a mass vaccination plan for Daun Penh.
LIVIDZX
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by LIVIDZX »

Anyone take a guess at when night market will re-open?
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

June 2, 2021
Phnom Penh authority imposes new regulation on businesses

The Phnom Penh authority has instructed business owners to provide information on employees who request leave under suspicion of COVID-19 infection. These businesses include restaurants, hotels, and companies. This was the latest move made by the authorities to contain the spread of the pandemic in Phnom Penh.

According to a report by the Phnom Penh Municipal Administration, employees who served in various businesses requested for leave due to illness unaware that they were carrying COVID-19 and after their testing they did not wait for their results before returning to their place of employment. This put them in direct contact with people, who were in turn infected with COVID-19 as well.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50866941/p ... usinesses/
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Gilmore
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Gilmore »

Is anyone aware of a centre in PP that is still giving Astazenica shots to people over 60? I tried 2 of the newly opened centres and one had Sinovac only, while the other had Sinovac and Sinocham. Both these Chinese vaccines have now been approved by the WHO. They say there is no evidence yet that these vaccines have a negative effect on the elderly, but that there has not been enough testing yet to make a definitive statement on the subject. As a result, I would prefer the Astrazenica, if it is available anywhere.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Gilmore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:13 pm Is anyone aware of a centre in PP that is still giving Astazenica shots to people over 60? I tried 2 of the newly opened centres and one had Sinovac only, while the other had Sinovac and Sinocham. Both these Chinese vaccines have now been approved by the WHO. They say there is no evidence yet that these vaccines have a negative effect on the elderly, but that there has not been enough testing yet to make a definitive statement on the subject. As a result, I would prefer the Astrazenica, if it is available anywhere.
I recall reading they ran out of the AZ vaccine here a long time ago. As to whether they will get more..dunno.. I think the last lot was supplied from India but with their own covid problems.. who knows?
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:28 pm
Gilmore wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:13 pm Is anyone aware of a centre in PP that is still giving Astazenica shots to people over 60? I tried 2 of the newly opened centres and one had Sinovac only, while the other had Sinovac and Sinocham. Both these Chinese vaccines have now been approved by the WHO. They say there is no evidence yet that these vaccines have a negative effect on the elderly, but that there has not been enough testing yet to make a definitive statement on the subject. As a result, I would prefer the Astrazenica, if it is available anywhere.
I recall reading they ran out of the AZ vaccine here a long time ago. As to whether they will get more..dunno.. I think the last lot was supplied from India but with their own covid problems.. who knows?
The AZ was donated via the COVAX initiative. According to their site they only have a total of 1.1m shots earmarked for Cambodia (at least, at this stage):

First doses received: 2 March 2021
Doses received: 324,000 SII-AstraZeneca (COVISHIELD) vaccine*
Doses allocated: 1,104,000

https://www.gavi.org/covax-vaccine-roll-out/cambodia
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

clutchcargo wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 6:28 pm
Khmounh medical centre (way way out past Makro) was giving AZ shots as of last Tuesday 25th. I was very surprised to see they had any left. I told an 65 year old aussie mate who shot up there the next day. He was told they had 2nd doses only. They offered him Sinovac which he refused.

The Covax scheme is overwhelmed with demand and given Cambodia's enviable access to Sinovac, I can't see them getting much more out of them. I think there were 320,000 doses, so that's 160,000 over 60's. The important people went first and a bit made it's way out to ordinary people, but that window of opportunity seems to be closed now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic