Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
orussey98
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by orussey98 »

hburns wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm
Lockdowns have definitely had a huge effect here in UK, that's pretty clear if you look at the infections. The virus spreads by human contact so, by reducing human contact, you reduce the opportunities that the virus has to spread. Pretty basic really.

Maybe you have a better idea. If so the world would love to hear it as nobody enjoys lockdowns.
Is it the lockdown? is it the season? is it just the dynamic of the virus?

It sounds and is pretty basic that's why it's easily accepted by most of the people

Better idea?

Isolate the people with symptoms and sick & population at risk like old people
"young " people are not at risk
There is still no evidences of asymptomatic contagion so there's no need to lockdown everyone
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Error404 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 pm
Error404 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm It will be at least 2 weeks before we can see if this lockdown is working.
I believe we will be in lockdown for months to come since draconian lockdowns don't work. But if anyone believes otherwise, please name one place that eradicated covid with lockdowns. And don't say China because we all know they are full of shit.
Lockdowns have definitely had a huge effect here in UK, that's pretty clear if you look at the infections. The virus spreads by human contact so, by reducing human contact, you reduce the opportunities that the virus has to spread. Pretty basic really.

Maybe you have a better idea. If so the world would love to hear it as nobody enjoys lockdowns.
Agreed reduced human contact reduces the spread of the virus, but with a lockdown, you are forcing people to be confined to a smaller area. That isn't exactly reducing human contact is it, plus humans are social creatures so we will still be interacting with friends and family that live in close quarters to us. And I for one am not going to live my life in fear of a virus with a 2% percent death rate, we will die from something eventually. So if you want to lock yourself in your basement and wait until this all blows over more power to you.
Ah, there's the crux of the matter. You don't care about anyone else so long as your life isn't affected.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Please use this thread for updated information on the coronavirus in Cambodia. Plenty of other threads for discussion of the pandemic elsewhere. Thanks.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Error404 »

hburns wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:30 pm
Error404 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 pm
Error404 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm It will be at least 2 weeks before we can see if this lockdown is working.
I believe we will be in lockdown for months to come since draconian lockdowns don't work. But if anyone believes otherwise, please name one place that eradicated covid with lockdowns. And don't say China because we all know they are full of shit.

Agreed reduced human contact reduces the spread of the virus, but with a lockdown, you are forcing people to be confined to a smaller area. That isn't exactly reducing human contact is it, plus humans are social creatures so we will still be interacting with friends and family that live in close quarters to us. And I for one am not going to live my life in fear of a virus with a 2% percent death rate, we will die from something eventually. So if you want to lock yourself in your basement and wait until this all blows over more power to you.
Ah, there's the crux of the matter. You don't care about anyone else so long as your life isn't affected.
And you don't complain unless it affects you and as per CEO News request, I'm done discussing this with you.
:wave:
newkidontheblock
Expatriate

Post by newkidontheblock »

Missus just showed a video on Facebook. Apparently in the video, a block of villagers houses were put under ‘quarantine’. They house has Khmer spray painted on it, indicating a quarantined house. Cops not allowing them to leave their property for any reason.

Because of the quarantine, they can’t leave their house to get money, either from their bank or WING. No money, no deliveries. And they can’t leave their house to get food, either.

The villagers are standing outside their house and appealing to the village chief and to the Commune Chief for help.

They are now penniless and starving.

‘Please help us’ is their message.

<sad>

Please stay safe out there.

IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 am Missus just showed a video on Facebook. Apparently in the video, a block of villagers houses were put under ‘quarantine’. They house has Khmer spray painted on it, indicating a quarantined house. Cops not allowing them to leave their property for any reason.

Because of the quarantine, they can’t leave their house to get money, either from their bank or WING. No money, no deliveries. And they can’t leave their house to get food, either.

The villagers are standing outside their house and appealing to the village chief and to the Commune Chief for help.

<sad>

I popped to the ATM yesterday and after the first machine had no money in it I took money from the next but it only had 100's in it. I had a quick check of the other machines and they were the same. Just 100's. If they stop people working in banks and the ATMs are depleted of cash that will cause problems for the middle classes I am sure.
If gold sellers/buyers are not working people can't even convert gold to cash. And if they are able to the buyer will almost certainly be buying in at less than market value.

People will not forget this and the next election will be interesting. Of course, there is the possibility that the CPP will postpone the next elections because of the virus and the fact they know they are going to get hit hard at the ballot box.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am People will not forget this and the next election will be interesting.
Election?

Hard to have one when there is no viable opposition party.

It will be the CPP and a couple of the token "opposition" groups that are partially funded by the CPP itself to prop up the appearance of free and fair 'elections'.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

IraHayes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am
newkidontheblock wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 8:58 am Missus just showed a video on Facebook. Apparently in the video, a block of villagers houses were put under ‘quarantine’. They house has Khmer spray painted on it, indicating a quarantined house. Cops not allowing them to leave their property for any reason.

<sad>

I popped to the ATM yesterday and after the first machine had no money in it I took money from the next but it only had 100's in it. I had a quick check of the other machines and they were the same. Just 100's. If they stop people working in banks and the ATMs are depleted of cash that will cause problems for the middle classes I am sure.
If gold sellers/buyers are not working people can't even convert gold to cash. And if they are able to the buyer will almost certainly be buying in at less than market value.

People will not forget this and the next election will be interesting. Of course, there is the possibility that the CPP will postpone the next elections because of the virus and the fact they know they are going to get hit hard at the ballot box.
Against who? The last score was 125-0 in a one horse race.

Anyway, the election is not for 2 years and if this pandemic is still raging this place would have unravelled by then.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Post by Jerry Atrick »

Phnom Poon wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 10:07 am
IraHayes wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 9:06 am
If gold sellers/buyers are not working people can't even convert gold to cash.
it's worth taking riel from atms at this point, since $100s may become difficult to change
i hear gold 'offer' prices are way down anyway

Gold is way down this year anyhow
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

@timmydownawell @CEOCambodiaNews

Do we have a new infection tally for today yet?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic