Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by AndyKK »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:28 am District authorities to issue “Shopping” ID cards for families during lockdown
Phnom Penh governor Khoung Sreng last night ordered all district administrations in the capital to issue “shopping” cards, which will allow one member per household to go buy food supplies and other nessessities amid the lockdown.

Making the remark during a videoconference last evening, Sreng asked the authorities to be fair in issuing the cards and ensure that both shoppers and vendors follow the health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Shopping for necessities has been quite a problem since the lockdown began last week, with many people reporting they are facing supply shortage, as many markets have been closed after they have been identified as COVID-19 hotspots while travelling from one district to another, even for shopping purpose, has been prohibited.
\

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50841804/d ... -lockdown/
My apartment owner (lucky to have a good one) stopped by the local Khan/district office this afternoon after I asked if he knew about this, seems they are aware of the announcement to issue the shopping ID but no guidance on how to put it into practice yet
There lays the biggest problem, keeping people at home is the idea to stop the spread of covid19. Can you imagine the crowds of people outside the local Khan/district office trying to get a shopping id card?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
beerlaodrinker
Expatriate
France

Post by beerlaodrinker »

Bluenose wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 8:30 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:28 am District authorities to issue “Shopping” ID cards for families during lockdown
Phnom Penh governor Khoung Sreng last night ordered all district administrations in the capital to issue “shopping” cards, which will allow one member per household to go buy food supplies and other nessessities amid the lockdown.

Making the remark during a videoconference last evening, Sreng asked the authorities to be fair in issuing the cards and ensure that both shoppers and vendors follow the health measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19.

Shopping for necessities has been quite a problem since the lockdown began last week, with many people reporting they are facing supply shortage, as many markets have been closed after they have been identified as COVID-19 hotspots while travelling from one district to another, even for shopping purpose, has been prohibited.
\

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50841804/d ... -lockdown/
My apartment owner (lucky to have a good one) stopped by the local Khan/district office this afternoon after I asked if he knew about this, seems they are aware of the announcement to issue the shopping ID but no guidance on how to put it into practice yet
They had better get a move on. Lockdown finishes in a week. Those cards will all be wasted!
Or are they trying to say it will be extended?
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 5:03 pm Wish they had drone deliveries so I could get food delivered to my balcony.
In Myanmar, my friends had a little bucket hoist system for their apartment to the balcony/windows. I wish it was standard. :chin:
:thumb:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It will be at least 2 weeks before we can see if this lockdown is working.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

I come to check in after a week and see that things have gotten much much worse. I pray that everyone here is fairing alright despite it, and that everyone has a more secure situation than many of the street workers who must be suffering with difficulties affording to live now. Stay safe.
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Error404 »

nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm It will be at least 2 weeks before we can see if this lockdown is working.
I believe we will be in lockdown for months to come since draconian lockdowns don't work. But if anyone believes otherwise, please name one place that eradicated covid with lockdowns. And don't say China because we all know they are full of shit.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Australia, New Zealand.
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:29 pm Australia, New Zealand.
The Victoria lockdown (started at a quarantine hotell) lasted 4 months.

The PP one can't go on for that long
hburns
Expatriate
Togo

Post by hburns »

Error404 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:03 pm It will be at least 2 weeks before we can see if this lockdown is working.
I believe we will be in lockdown for months to come since draconian lockdowns don't work. But if anyone believes otherwise, please name one place that eradicated covid with lockdowns. And don't say China because we all know they are full of shit.
Lockdowns have definitely had a huge effect here in UK, that's pretty clear if you look at the infections. The virus spreads by human contact so, by reducing human contact, you reduce the opportunities that the virus has to spread. Pretty basic really.

Maybe you have a better idea. If so the world would love to hear it as nobody enjoys lockdowns.
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Error404 »

hburns wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm
Error404 wrote: Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:20 pm
Lockdowns have definitely had a huge effect here in UK, that's pretty clear if you look at the infections. The virus spreads by human contact so, by reducing human contact, you reduce the opportunities that the virus has to spread. Pretty basic really.

Maybe you have a better idea. If so the world would love to hear it as nobody enjoys lockdowns.
Agreed reduced human contact reduces the spread of the virus, but with a lockdown, you are forcing people to be confined to a smaller area. That isn't exactly reducing human contact is it, plus humans are social creatures so we will still be interacting with friends and family that live in close quarters to us. And I for one am not going to live my life in fear of a virus with a 2% percent death rate, we will die from something eventually. So if you want to lock yourself in your basement and wait until this all blows over more power to you.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic