Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Arget »

This morning at 0530 I walked from 172 past the Palace and through Wat Bottom Park. There where 20 / 30 people walking , jogging and a few police on corners. I had my passport just in case but nobody stopped, asked for ID or worried about me.

I wore a mask at all times.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

cautious colin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 pm
His Excellency Mao Ayutth, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Information, passes away due to COVID-19

April 15, 2021

#National

The Ministry of Information has just announced that His Excellency Mao Ayutth, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Information, passed away at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital (Russian Hospital) on April 15, 2021 due to Kovid 19.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/?p=839535

Guessing that makes it more serious in the eyes of the people that make the rules
This man would have been at the very close to the front of the queue for vaccination. I don't suppose his Ministry of Information will be informing us on the issue of what he had and when he had it.

This Sinovac affords very limited protection after one shot and takes at least a month after the second shot to achieve just over 50% efficacy, according to real time studies in Chile. The great and the good may well be under the illusion they are now out of danger.

But the study by the University of Chile also found that one dose of the Sinovac jab was only 3 per cent effective against infection, underscoring the need to get fully vaccinated. Efficacy rises to 27.7 per cent within two weeks after the second jab, reaching 56.5 per cent a fortnight later, according to the university.

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/science ... icacy-data
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

rip
i don't recall his illness being announced

is covid rampaging through the political class?
that might explain the shift to chicken-little mode
couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Phnom Poon wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:55 am rip
i don't recall his illness being announced

is covid rampaging through the political class?
that might explain the shift to chicken-little mode
couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of people
I think think a lot of them have had a (singular) jab and now think they are untouchable (again). I wonder how many have had their second jab and waited the 4 weeks to achieve it's 50% efficacy?

My neighbour, a policeman who is on the Royal Protection squad (he wears his badge and picture of the queen lanyard around his neck with pride, bless him). He enthusiastically told me about 6 weeks ago that he had got his vaccine jab. I saw him yesterday and asked if he had his second jab. He looked a bit confused but eventually understood the question. He has had one jab only and seemed a bit baffled by the question.

How many of the top brass are bothering to wear masks and practice social distancing in their endless huge committee meetings. How many have set up zoom to avoid such daily contact?

In London in March/April last year, virtually the entire government, including Boris Johnson, had Covid-19 and at one stage Number 10 had lost the PM, the cabinet secretary and most of the top civil servants and ministers. Dominic Raab, the Foreign Secretary was the de facto PM (entirely without any constitutional authority). The whole of Whitehall was a huge super spreader.

I do wonder how much the government here have learned from the experience of other countries. I suspect that haven't been paying attention.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 7:30 am
His Excellency Mao Ayutth, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Information, passes away due to COVID-19

April 15, 2021

#National

The Ministry of Information has just announced that His Excellency Mao Ayutth, Secretary of State of the Ministry of Information, passed away at the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital (Russian Hospital) on April 15, 2021 due to Kovid 19.

Guessing that makes it more serious in the eyes of the people that make the rules
This man would have been at the very close to the front of the queue for vaccination. I don't suppose his Ministry of Information will be informing us on the issue of what he had and when he had it.

This Sinovac affords very limited protection after one shot and takes at least a month after the second shot to achieve just over 50% efficacy, according to real time studies in Chile. The great and the good may well be under the illusion they are now out of danger.

But the study by the University of Chile also found that one dose of the Sinovac jab was only 3 per cent effective against infection, underscoring the need to get fully vaccinated. Efficacy rises to 27.7 per cent within two weeks after the second jab, reaching 56.5 per cent a fortnight later, according to the university.

At the age of 77 and being a high top guy I'd expect him to have received AstraZenica instead of Sinofuck.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kammekor wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:31 am

April 15, 2021

#National

At the age of 77 and being a high top guy I'd expect him to have received AstraZenica instead of Cinofuck.
Well, if he did, and had a second within the correct timeline, he's pretty unlucky. If that is the case there is going to be a lot of very worried people at the top table.

Maybe a curious and brave journalist will ask the question.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:35 am

April 15, 2021

#National

At the age of 77 and being a high top guy I'd expect him to have received AstraZenica instead of Cinofuck.
Well, if he did, and had a second within the correct timeline, he's pretty unlucky. If that is the case there is going to be a lot of very worried people at the top table.

As the second AZ shot is after 12 weeks, he wouldn't have had it.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

timmydownawell wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:55 am
Doc67 wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:35 am
cautious colin wrote: Thu Apr 15, 2021 8:53 pm https://www.khmertimeskh.com/?p=839535

As the second AZ shot is after 12 weeks, he wouldn't have had it.
Yes, you are right. The AZ didn't get here until March 2nd.

But, AZ initially recommended a 4 week gap, their trials were based on that. The UK just took a flyer and stretched it out to 12 weeks to get as many people vaccinated with the first shot as quickly as possible. It was a big gamble that seems to have paid off.

There is no reason to delay the booster shot for another 8 weeks.

https://www.sps.nhs.uk/articles/dosing- ... 9-vaccine/
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Once the first person died from covid now everyone is dieing from it, before it was heart attack or fainting.
Watching the clip of guys spraying in Sihanoukville, does covid hang on walls, floors waiting for you to touch it then you pick your nose, and obviously that spray must kill it.
When will the spray truck and men be seen in PP
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

atst wrote: When will the spray truck and men be seen in PP
Hopefully never. The risk of transmission through formites is tiny at best. The obsession over putting alcohol on everything is based on outdated research from a year ago.

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-00251-4

I'd be more worried about what chemicals they put in there. What doses are being put in? Are they being diluted properly (ppm)? Had the "chemical" been proven to kill Covid-19? Any long-term effects to exposure?
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic