Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by nemo »

Old lady shop is out of rice and small cans of mackeral. Noodles have gone from $4.50 to $10.
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Error404 »

We might be headed towards a Chinese-style lockdown. I got power tools and a cutting torch in case they decide to board us in.
Error404
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Error404 »

But really is the only twice-a-week supply run official news or is this just chatter.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

nemo wrote:It was full on buying on Saturday, when I mentioned seeing it with my own eyes I was called a panic merchant LOL.
Some people are blind to the world around them and deaf to the Khmer grapevine.
I don't think that's exactly fair, claiming that a Saturday at Makro before KNY was a sign of panic buying... People go to Makro to buy bulk items, that's the whole point. There have been rumours for of this for a year, but nothing yet. I was at Makro around six days ago and it was totally normal (along with the usual idiots who go to the under six item register with 20 items). I go in the mornings to avoid the crowds though.
Error404 wrote:But really is the only twice-a-week supply run official news or is this just chatter.
Nothing official yet, but Khmer news outlets seem to have alluded to it, there's also a voice message from the PM talking about it going across Telegram, and even KT followed up with it three times today. We'll have to wait and confirm, but seems the panic has set in and it's a done deal regardless. Getting pretty late for an announcement though, so I guess it also wouldn't surprise me if tomorrow morning was business as usual.

The supply run is all hearsay. That's the official guideline (for those who were in Stung Menchey) and you can find the list of places you're allowed to go to in the KT, but hearing from people who live there, it appears very unevenly applied. Some aren't allowed out, some are... People end up taking back roads out. Others have heard about this so it's probably adding fuel to the fire (the dear that you won't be allowed out at all or something). Wouldn't be a stressful thing if the guidelines and procedures were laid out as mentioned previously.

Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
WooWooWoo
Tourist

Post by WooWooWoo »

They should have announced this after 8 pm there were big crowds between 6-8 at all the markets.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

it's ridiculous
most khmers seem to go to the market for every meal
and have no plan for the next meal
let alone days ahead

monstra mihi bona!
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

A single statement from the authorities could have ended it all. But there's no statement.

Silence is also a way to tell something.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Tonight, taken by a friend
theKid
Expatriate
Macau

Post by theKid »

ImageImage
nemo wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:01 pm Tonight, taken by a friend
ali baba
Expatriate

Post by ali baba »

Went for a bike ride between 7 and 8 PM and saw large crowds in many supermarkets.

I did my bulk buy a year ago and just completed a stock rotation to keep up with best before dates.
Scarier than malaria.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic