Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by timmydownawell »

Seriously, announcing this (well, not even announcing it) less than two hours before curfew? Really?
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

bossho wrote:wtf is wrong with these people's brains? now everyone is going to get it tonight - what a huge miscalculation
Indeed. Beyond stupid. As usual, the ones at the top knew ahead of time and did their shopping early on. But of course, no one can keep a secret and everyone knows someone, so by 3-4pm word is quickly spreading so that even before any "surprise" evening (why always the evening?) official announcement is made, everyone is out in huge lineups in markets with zero distancing panic buying, driving like maniacs and so forth. Guaranteed you'd see a real-time spike in cases BECAUSE of this. You'd think they'd have learned something from watching all the different approaches all over the world over the course of s year but no... Let's take the most reckless approach ever! Off the top of my head, I can think of like five better ways of going about it, but I'd have to actually sit down and think about it to come up with a worse plan. You have to wonder who/how they come up with these gems.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

how will this all work exactly? The lock down .. how will it be enforced? The logistics of it all are just staggering.
So people can exit their home twice a week? To buy essential? From whom do they buy their essentials? Are market traders included in this lockdown?

Just who, exactly, is being locked down and who is an essential worker?

You know.. This bunch of clowns couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 pm
bossho wrote:wtf is wrong with these people's brains? now everyone is going to get it tonight - what a huge miscalculation
Indeed. Beyond stupid. As usual, the ones at the top knew ahead of time and did their shopping early on. But of course, no one can keep a secret and everyone knows someone, so by 3-4pm word is quickly spreading so that even before any "surprise" evening (why always the evening?) official announcement is made, everyone is out in huge lineups in markets with zero distancing panic buying, driving like maniacs and so forth. Guaranteed you'd see a real-time spike in cases BECAUSE of this. You'd think they'd have learned something from watching all the different approaches all over the world over the course of s year but no... Let's take the most reckless approach ever! Off the top of my head, I can think of like five better ways of going about it, but I'd have to actually sit down and think about it to come up with a worse plan. You have to wonder who/how they come up with these gems.

Why would they want it kept secret? What purpose could that possibly serve? Are they that disconnected from the general population they have no idea how the majority of people live?
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I don't know, but most of the official announcements are made in the evening for whatever reason. Nothing official has been announced yet, but they didn't try to quell the rumours so it's pretty much a done deal but with no warning or real announcement. Yet.

Perhaps they thought that announcing it beforehand would create even more panic. Who knows what's going on in the government chambers at the moment. I personally can't figure out the logic behind the way they went about this though. Maybe huge numbers today that haven't been made public?
Last edited by Bitte_Kein_Lexus on Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:51 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Isn't it a stupid idea to keep people cooped up indoors for 14 days where the virus transmits better, rather than just let them lounge around outside on their fold up chairs watching the world go by?

In 14 days, when this thing is supposed to end, the spike from tonight's mayhem will be registering.

Two weeks? Bullshit. Two months minimum.
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

It was full on buying on Saturday, when I mentioned seeing it with my own eyes I was called a panic merchant LOL.
Some people are blind to the world around them and deaf to the Khmer grapevine.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Bitte_Kein_Lexus wrote: Wed Apr 14, 2021 7:40 pm You have to wonder who/how they come up with these gems.
well we know exactly who must have come up with this plan, or at least, approved it
perhaps westpoint tactics (surprise your enemy!) aren't quite suited to the general community

monstra mihi bona!
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Well, lets all stick our noses out on the street tomorrow at 7am and see what Lockdown Khmer style looks like.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the army out in force.
Arget
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Arget »

I do have a case of coke to go with the wild turkey
I do have a case of soda to go with the Hendricks gin.
I do have a dozen beers.
I do have a dozen small bottles of red wine.

I have 6 pies..
Some ice cream
Some chocolate
Pkt 3 in 1 coffee
Large bottle of water
3 tins of baked beans
Rice
Cake mixes
Chinese medicine
Jar of vegemite

Ah well cant have everything.

All in all should last the two weeks (fortnight) Probably wont remember parts of it so it will be shorter.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic