Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

KTabi wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:51 pm
nemo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 am I note many small businesses are handing out rice, free to those in need.
Any good charities or organizations to support in person or financially in the city?
@KTabi This question would be better off in Ask the Expats ? Otherwise the answers will get lost amongst the rest of the Covid news. What do you think ? ( If you want to repost your question elsewhere, we can delete this one.)
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Vietnam reacts to the latest Covid-19 outbreak in Cambodia:

HCM City tightens pandemic prevention measures at border with Cambodia
Update: April, 13/2021 - 15:16

HCM CITY — The chairman of HCM City People’s Committee has called for stricter implementation of anti-pandemic measures at the border with Cambodia as the number of COVID-19 cases there is surging, which could lead to the collapse of that country’s healthcare system as warned by the World Health Organization (WHO).

Speaking at a meeting on Monday on pandemic control and prevention, Nguyễn Thành Phong said that the COVID-19 situation had become worse in neighbouring countries, especially Cambodia, which borders southern Việt Nam.

The number of cases in Cambodia has soared from about 500 last year to more than 4,081 just a few days ago, following a local incident related to a number of Chinese who legally entered the country but violated quarantine regulations.

On April 10, the number of new cases reported in Cambodia was 454, he said.

“The situation in Cambodia has posed a significant risk of infection for HCM City, so the city must closely monitor illegal entries from Cambodia,” Phong said.

Phong told agencies to continue to tighten control of illegal entries from Cambodia to prevent the spread of the virus.

HCM City will continue to take medical declarations and do periodic monitoring and screening of high-risk people.

The city has not recorded any new cases in the community for two months. It has completed the first round of vaccinations for frontline medical staff.
https://vietnamnews.vn/society/925510/h ... bodia.html
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Kandal’s Koki market temporarily shut amid Covid outbreak
Orm Bunthoeurn | Publication date 13 April 2021 | 17:19 ICT

The Kandal Provincial Administration has shut Koki market in Kien Svay district after some vendors there had contracted Covid-19 linked to the February 20 community outbreak.

“We will temporarily close Koki market, effective April 13 until further notice, in order to prevent Covid-19 from spreading to other vendors and customers,” the announcement said.

It said the authorities will provide security for their belongings in the free of charge, though vendors have to handle products that can spoil quickly such as fruit, vegetables and meat by themselves.
https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... d-outbreak

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

It's understandable of Vietnam to have its concerns.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

If they keep closing the markets something's going to bust, people have no income no access to food.
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

atst wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:45 pm If they keep closing the markets something's going to bust, people have no income no access to food.
Markets are always more or less closed at Khmer New Year. But this is because the sellers go back to their villages or hometowns to celebrate the New Year.
This year, many markets are closed and the sellers are left with rotting produce. However, some people will sell produce out of their home, and in unofficial stalls outside the markets.
As someone said for the beer sales, there is always a way around this. And the authorities do not want to cut off food sales. They just want to stop people from gathering in places which could spread the virus.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

atst wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:45 pm If they keep closing the markets something's going to bust, people have no income no access to food.
I talk to Cambodians frequently and they will tell me (slightly joking) the rich are scared of covid but the poor are scared to lose their lively hood. There's quite some truth in it to be honest.
Sheepdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Sheepdog »

nemo wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 8:11 am I note many small businesses are handing out rice, free to those in need.
Any good charities or organizations to support in person or financially in the city?
Hi mate,

You can check out this FB page for making donations to help supply food and hygiene kits to those in need. It was originally started off by Claire Hoi about a month ago I think to help tuktuk and cyclo drivers. You can check her posts on her page too.. I think a kit costs $7 but you can offer whatever.

https://www.facebook.com/covdhelp/
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 5:34 pm
@KTabi This question would be better off in Ask the Expats ? Otherwise the answers will get lost amongst the rest of the Covid news. What do you think ? ( If you want to repost your question elsewhere, we can delete this one.)
Oh, apologies. I will do so later in that section when I have the time.
:thumb:
cautious colin
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by cautious colin »

Kammekor wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 7:05 pm
I talk to Cambodians frequently and they will tell me (slightly joking) the rich are scared of covid but the poor are scared to lose their lively hood. There's quite some truth in it to be honest.
I think there's a lot of truth in that. For a country that lives day to day rather than week to week/month to month. Restrictions like this are incredibly serious
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic