Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Kammekor wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:16 am
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:09 am this is NOT good;
from twitter:
-Phnom Penh Municipality announces 56 COVID-19 positive people who haven’t been located because they gave false contact details.

-This is a clear sign that there is no way we can suppress the transmission, and a worse situation might be looming.

PHNOM PENH--Prime Minister HE on April 10 recognized that the worsening situation prompted by the recent COVID-19 community outbreak, which has claimed 25 lives and infected more than 3,000 people over less than two months, was instigated by a governance issue.

“My habit is I don’t blame anyone for any crisis, but I recognize that our recent community outbreak has been due to our governance issue,” HE said, pointing out to the collusion between the security guard and people under quarantine as well as the opening of entertainment places without the local authorities being aware of it.

“That is why we need to strengthen our governances everywhere,” he stressed, adding that stringent administrative actions and law enforcement are needed.
https://cambodianess.com/article/hun-se ... h-disaster
It's sad the iron man doesn't realize these people gave fake contact details because they don't trust their government. 'Stringent administrative actions and law enforcement' are not going to change that.
When you say 'don't trust the government', do you mean to provide adequate medical care? Or, they just don't want to go into 14 day quarantine at a government facility if they are found to have covid? In that event, maybe they think they will be safer and better cared for at home with their family despite the risk of spreading it.
TWY
Expatriate
Macedonia

Post by TWY »

nemo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:39 pm
The WHO has been shown to be little more than a puppet for the Chinese Communist Party.
Where did all these conspiracy people come from?
They should go home and root out the evil doers.
------------------

I'm not sure what conspiracy theory your referencing. I'm not a conspiracy theorist to the best of my knowledge.

I believe everything in my post is factually correct and represents what took place in regard's to the WHO and their actions during this pandemic. If you think something is incorrect you should point it out.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

clutchcargo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 2:22 pm
When you say 'don't trust the government', do you mean to provide adequate medical care? Or, they just don't want to go into 14 day quarantine at a government facility if they are found to have covid? In that event, maybe they think they will be safer and better cared for at home with their family despite the risk of spreading it.
The level of distrust starts at a very low level, fear of being quarantined (forced) in a government facility, fear of losing income / job, fear of being released from quarantine late (requires two consecutive negative tests - might take ages), fear of forced admission to hospital etc etc.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

add on fear the vaccine u are given is not what it should be,
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/int ... eness-low/
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 3:31 pm add on fear the vaccine u are given is not what it should be,
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/int ... eness-low/
If I was this guy, I'd be worried about getting an unexpected knock on the door..
In a rare admission of the weakness of Chinese coronavirus vaccines, the country’s top disease control official says their effectiveness is low and the government is considering mixing them to give them a boost.

Chinese vaccines “don’t have very high protection rates,” said the director of the China Centers for Disease Control, Gao Fu, at a conference Saturday in the southwestern city of Chengdu.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

nemo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 1:39 pm
The WHO has been shown to be little more than a puppet for the Chinese Communist Party.
Where did all these conspiracy people come from?
They should go home and root out the evil doers.
I think it is a bit of hyperbole but lots of heads of state and important people have been voicing similar concerns that China is exercising undue influence over things like WHO who clearly has no problem calling viruses anything but a Chinese virus.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news ... ganization
:thumb:
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

Yes, it has been a talking point among Fox News and the Trump camp.
Your source falls within that spectrum as a dedicated Trump proxy.
Many of these entities also label Biden a communist in the employ of the CCP.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

nemo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:03 pm Yes, it has been a talking point among Fox News and the Trump camp.
Your source falls within that spectrum as a dedicated Trump proxy.
Many of these entities also label Biden a communist in the employ of the CCP.
:facepalm:
I just grabbed a source that had the quote in the title, I can grab more that say the same thing. I wouldn't call career Japanese politician and deputy PM Fox News or a Trump crony/proxy. I think lots of news outlets don't want to report it in a headline.
https://www.japantimes.co.jp/opinion/20 ... anization/
https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/worl ... china.html
"In Japan, Taro Aso, the deputy prime minister and finance minister, recently noted that some people have started referring to the World Health Organization as the “Chinese Health Organization” because of what he described as its close ties to Beijing. Taiwanese officials say the W.H.O. ignored its early warnings about the virus because China refuses to allow Taiwan, a self-governing island it claims as its territory, to become a member."

"Critics say the W.H.O. has been too trusting of the Chinese government, which initially tried to conceal the outbreak in Wuhan. Others have faulted the organization and its leader, Dr. Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus, for moving too slowly in declaring a global health emergency."

"The W.H.O. endorsed the government’s claims, saying in mid-January, for example, that human-to-human transmission had not been proven."

"Critics say the organization’s repeated deference to Beijing exacerbated the spread of the disease. A group of international experts was not allowed to visit Wuhan until mid-February."

"Mr. Huang noted that during the SARS epidemic in 2002 and 2003, which killed more than 700 people worldwide, the W.H.O. pushed the Chinese government to be more transparent by publicly criticizing it for trying to conceal the outbreak."

"Even as the virus spread to more than half a dozen countries and forced China to place parts of Hubei Province under lockdown in late January, the W.H.O. was reluctant to declare it a global health emergency."

"After the United States announced a ban on most foreign citizens who had recently visited China, the W.H.O. again seemed to show deference to Chinese officials, saying that travel restrictions were unnecessary. The group officially called the spread of the coronavirus a pandemic on March 11."
nemo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by nemo »

"Even as the virus spread to more than half a dozen countries and forced China to place parts of Hubei Province under lockdown in late January, the W.H.O. was reluctant to declare it a global health emergency."
Much the same reaction as the US Administration at that time.
KTabi
Expatriate
Japan

Post by KTabi »

nemo wrote: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:23 pm "Even as the virus spread to more than half a dozen countries and forced China to place parts of Hubei Province under lockdown in late January, the W.H.O. was reluctant to declare it a global health emergency."
Much the same reaction as the US Administration at that time.
Yes the whole US government and many figures in America on all sides were not taking it seriously which is bad. Part of their bad decisions were related to WHO statements.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic