Information on Coronavirus / COVID-19 in Cambodia (Latest Updates December 2021)

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Information on Coronavirus in Cambodia from 8 March 2020 (Latest Updates)

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

PSD-Kiwi wrote:He probably needed a "fix" and didn't give a shit about his passport (also possible that he has both a Cambodian and a US passport). Many cheap hotels and guesthouses will still check people in without a passport/ID, especially Cambodians.

Well done to the authorities for managing to track him down so quickly.
Haha ive checked into loads of places without a passport, i think my favourite time was when a khmer girl receptionist tried photocopying a picture of my passport page i had on my phone, to my surprise it actually appeared to work, it was just very small ImageImageImage
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Two More Imported Cases of COVID-19 Reported
AKP Phnom Penh, January 19, 2021 --
Cambodia’s Ministry of Health this morning reported two new imported cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19); bringing the tally to 441.

According to the ministry’s press release, one of the two new positive cases is a one-year-old Indonesian boy arriving in Cambodia on Jan. 12 from Indonesia via Singapore. His parents were tested positive for the deadly virus a day after their arrival. He has been admitted to the National Centre for Combating Tuberculosis and Leprosy Control in Phnom Penh.

The other one, it added, is a 31-year-old migrant worker returning from Thailand. She lives in Serey Sophorn city of Banteay Meanchey province. She arrived in Cambodia on Jan. 15. She has been tested positive on her second test and now hospitalised at Banteay Meanchey Provincial Referral Hospital.

- AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

There's an awful lot coming in from Thailand lately.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Doc67 wrote:There's an awful lot coming in from Thailand lately.
Pretty much all the recent cases, but it seems they all having to quarantine so hopefully nothing breaks through, if a few come through undetected though we could end up shit creek like our neighbours Image

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

An interesting piece in the KT today, although it raises as many questions as it answers.

https://www.khmertimeskh.com/50805137/m ... -covid-19/

The centre for Alliance of Labour and Human Rights (CENTRAL) senior programme officer Dy Thehoya said financial difficulties and the fear of punishment for holding invalid or expired documents are the main reasons why Cambodian migrant workers are continuing to return home each day.

“Most of them return not because of COVID-19 but because they have no job, no money to survive and their legal documents will be invalid very soon,” he said.

Thailand has previously announced that migrant workers, even illegal ones, can stay and work in Thailand for two years, although there are many stipulations. Undocumented workers need to find an employer, and employers have to purchase two-year health insurance plans for their employees, among other requirements.

Thehoya said some employers prefer to terminate their workers rather than adhere to the regulations.

Thehoya also said the process of registering and renewing their documents is convoluted and complicated, especially for Cambodians holding passports which are set to expire.

“The general situation of Cambodian migrant workers is they have hardships with the validity of their legal documents. I think hundreds of thousands of Cambodians passports will be invalid very soon, March 31, and they are all afraid of legal measures of the Thai government,” he added.

Thehoya said it could take up to five months to renew a passport.

He also said that he had heard from people who had knowledge of the situation that the workers have been treated well since returning to Cambodia.

While many are housed in schools for quarantine, they are provided with basic amenities and three meals per day, which costs the government $5 per day, according to Thehoya.

A Cambodian migrant worker currently in quarantine near the border said she returned from Thailand after working as a farmer for a year in Korat. While COVID-19 played a minor role in her leaving, the main reason was to attend a family wedding.

“At the quarantine centre, I have enough food and a good place to stay,” she said.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Only putting this here , because its relevant to arm chairs post above. Otherwise i'd put it ( along with his link) in the Thailand section. so feel free to move his and my post

At the moment its not difficult for Migrants ( Khmer's, Burmese, laos) to extend their extensions/wp's
here.

My gf is on a L-A visa/wp, this gives her 4 years to live/work ( 2+2 year visa) here legally, she has an employer.
In normal times after 4 years she would need return to Cambodia and start the process over.
NOW she can extend here in country for another 2 years AT a reduced cost!!

One problem, as the above states, is the reduction of work for the migrants and companies letting their employees go, NOT cause their documents will be invalid as Thailand is allowing even those that were working illegally before to remain here.
But even saying that, there is plenty of work available for Migrants.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... QZg8G5osQI

In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

Looking at the cost it's no wonder they are returning
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

COVID-19: Seven New Infections Recorded
AKP Phnom Penh, January 20, 2021 --

Seven new imported cases of the novel coronavirus (COVID-19) were reported in Cambodia; bringing the tally to 448, pointed out the Ministry of Health in a press release this morning.

According to the source, the new cases, of which three women, are all Cambodian migrant workers coming back from Thailand on Jan. 6 and 17. Two of them have been tested positive for the deadly virus on their second test. They all have been admitted to Banteay Meanchey Provincial Referral Hospital.

The total 448 confirmed cases include 322 Cambodians, 45 French, 18 Chinese, 13 Malaysians, 13 Indonesians, 12 Americans, 6 British, 3 Vietnamese, 3 Canadians, 3 Indians, 2 Hungarians, 2 Pakistanis, 2 Japanese, 1 Belgian, 1 Kazakhstani, 1 Polish, and 1 Jordanian. Of them, 77 are Cambodian migrant workers from Thailand.

Meanwhile, the press release added, six new patients – all migrants workers returning from Thailand – have recovered; the total number of cured cases in the Kingdom thus rose to 392, with no fatal case.

By C. Nika
AKP
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

atst wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm Looking at the cost it's no wonder they are returning
It costs me for my gf 10,000 baht/2 years
for that she gets a 2 year visa, 2 year work permit, and 2 year health medical card which gives her the same as a thai when she needs visit a hospital, including check ups and dental exams
Pretty dam good deal i think

Most Cambodian and Burmese i know here that are working in phuket are earning 10,000+ /month Plus accommodations and food

Now thats why they would rather be in Thailand than their own country.

from ceo news above;
....Two of them have been tested positive for the deadly virus on their second test. They all have been admitted to Banteay Meanchey Provincial Referral Hospital.
so they caught it in quarantine?
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 2:17 pm
atst wrote: Wed Jan 20, 2021 1:39 pm Looking at the cost it's no wonder they are returning
It costs me for my gf 10,000 baht/2 years
for that she gets a 2 year visa, 2 year work permit, and 2 year health medical card which gives her the same as a thai when she needs visit a hospital, including check ups and dental exams
Pretty dam good deal i think

Most Cambodian and Burmese i know here that are working in phuket are earning 10,000+ /month Plus accommodations and food

Now thats why they would rather be in Thailand than their own country.

from ceo news above;
....Two of them have been tested positive for the deadly virus on their second test. They all have been admitted to Banteay Meanchey Provincial Referral Hospital.
so they caught it in quarantine?
no it means it can take up to 5-7 days or so to be detectable so they could have caught it a few days before leaving
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic