Coronavirus Diaries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Clemen »

Thought I'd start a new topic instead of cluttering up the main thread.
"Coronavirus Diaries is a series of dispatches exploring how the coronavirus is affecting people’s lives" from Slate.
Quite a few interesting stories
https://slate.com/tag/coronavirus-diaries
up to you...
perter
Tourist
Aruba

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by perter »

how s incidents in PP

any?
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

I work in a school, undoubtedly a breeding ground for germs. I came home from work today, feeling under the weather with a sore throat and itchy eyes. It's most likely a simple cold, but I take care of my elderly parents, so have today by-passed them and disappeared in to my room to avoid any contact with them, just in case. I'm 99.99% sure that it's nothing to be concerned about, but I would be devastated if I was carrying and passed it to my parents.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

Just diverted from permanent return to Cambodia by a 12 month gig as live in residential hotel manager.
Guests flying in from everywhere.
I'm not paranoid - just very nervous.

If i die...
i want you to know i will have made my peace with everybody, even Nuke
but i'm not dead yet - lol.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 am I work in a school, undoubtedly a breeding ground for germs. I came home from work today, feeling under the weather with a sore throat and itchy eyes.
Same. At work(school) today they had a giant meeting with Everyone stuffed into a tiny room with fans going(because, you know, Cambodia. Media and basic knowledge of how germs work say not to, but they don't really believe in germs...). Now tonight I'm running a slight fever. I'm not Too worried, but that's gonna be pretty damn annoying if I got a case of the coronas. I've been fighting a slight cold(I think) for a bit over a week now, but haven't felt feverish. I'm just staying in and trying not to spread it to anyone, just in case. I hope your parents stay well. Wash your hands often.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:18 am
Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 12:00 am I work in a school, undoubtedly a breeding ground for germs. I came home from work today, feeling under the weather with a sore throat and itchy eyes.
Same. At work(school) today they had a giant meeting with Everyone stuffed into a tiny room with fans going(because, you know, Cambodia. Media and basic knowledge of how germs work say not to, but they don't really believe in germs...). Now tonight I'm running a slight fever. I'm not Too worried, but that's gonna be pretty damn annoying if I got a case of the coronas. I've been fighting a slight cold(I think) for a bit over a week now, but haven't felt feverish. I'm just staying in and trying not to spread it to anyone, just in case. I hope your parents stay well. Wash your hands often.
Working in kitchens, I wash my hands ridiculously regularly. Schools are just breeding grounds for all sorts of germs and stuff. Even in the UK, the potential exposures are ludicrous. I don't see it being too long before UK follows a number of other countries and shut schools down. I'm supposed to be flying to France in 4 weeks. I suspect that this might be cancelled. It's getting beyond a joke. My view is that if it has your name on it, it has your name on it. Live normally and just take sensible basic precautions. I'm in a healthy demographic. I just don't want to be responsible for making my olds sick.
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

I am living in a red zone of Italy, all kind of activities have been stopped. Need a medical certification to travel anywhere out of my commune. Having two elderly parents of 85+ years makes me worry more for them than my personal health. They stay in but I have to go shopping for food, pharmacy and do the minimum necessary. Always afraid of bringing anything bad back to my parents home. Masks are NOT worn generally but there is 90% less people on the road/streets. Supply of fresh foods starts to decline, some empty shelves, disinfectants of any kind not available since 2 weeks. People are scared, if you cough a little (smokers always do) everybody will turn away immediately. A totally new experience. It does not feel nice to be in the middle of it instead of safely watching TV and see how things develop far away.
work is for people who cant find truffles
willyhilly
Expatriate
Albania

Post by willyhilly »

Cambodia is on the Australian governments list of dodgy countries. But they only have one case don’t they?
Khmu Nation
Expatriate
Laos

Post by Khmu Nation »

Zero cases where I am despite being 1800km from Wuhan which can’t be right.

If people are sick from work they have to get a medical certificate from a french clinic and take 2 weeks off if it is a fever. Some guy went to Hanoi at the weekend and he has been sent home and told to stay home all week and get a doctors note.

I was considering going to Vietnam for a few days in June but have been told there is no visa on arrival for people from UK now due to the virus. Not sure if this is true. Is it?

Might go to Cambodia instead. Or maybe stay at home in face mask prepping for Armageddon
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

willyhilly wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 8:05 am But they only have one case don’t they?
of course, only one!
and it came from japan

as ever, watch what 'they' do
not what they say

monstra mihi bona!
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic