Coronavirus Diaries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

Gilli Islands Closed
“We temporarily closed the entrance to Gili to ensure that the destination was free of the Coronavirus,” NTB Governor H Zulkieflimansyah said.

According to the NTB Governor, so far the three Gili areas have always been filled with both foreign and domestic tourists. In particular, foreign tourists who come through Bali.

“Because in Bali there have been found positive cases of coronavirus, we have closed all three Gili accesses,” he said./quote]

https://soperth.com.au/gili-islands-off ... ears-37485
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Deep-cleaning going on at the Canadian International School (CIS) in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, after a staff member was reported to be infected with the coronavirus:
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

Kung-fu Hillbilly wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 8:53 pm Gilli Islands Closed
“We temporarily closed the entrance to Gili to ensure that the destination was free of the Coronavirus,” NTB Governor H Zulkieflimansyah said.

According to the NTB Governor, so far the three Gili areas have always been filled with both foreign and domestic tourists. In particular, foreign tourists who come through Bali.

“Because in Bali there have been found positive cases of coronavirus, we have closed all three Gili accesses,” he said./quote]

https://soperth.com.au/gili-islands-off ... ears-37485
We just left Gilli Air (and the other Gili Islands) a couple weeks ago. Seems we just beat all the shutdowns around the globe.

ImageImageImageImageImage

It was rainy season, but still had a lot of fun:

"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Kung-fu Hillbilly
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Kung-fu Hillbilly »

General Mackevili wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 10:24 pm
cdn.com/20200316/2891476ed97536c1286dd0c24eeeb217.jpg[/IMG]Image[IMG]https://uploads.tapatalk-
Nice.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Re: 115

Post by Freightdog »

cautious colin wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 7:00 pm
Freightdog wrote: Mon Mar 16, 2020 6:46 pm ...whether you meet the criteria, in which case visit the Khmer-Soviet hospital, or not.
Is it free? For locals and/or foreigners?
I gather, but can’t state for sure, that it’s free if you meet the criteria.

If you don’t meet their criteria (medical; have Cough & Fever, etc) but wish to be tested as a precaution, then there may be a charge, but I never found out what. The flow on the phone never differentiated between native Khmer and foreigner.
But, this was about ten days ago...
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

An outbreak of optimism

Post by Freightdog »

In the aftermath of the schools being closed, we received this-

In response to the schools closure
Dear sir,
I would like to inform you that our school will have a small vacation from today until the 19th of April.
In response to my request for some outline info about the lessons that would have been planned, such that I can set some homework myself if needed
I would like to inform you sir. That our school closed beacause of the virus.
But we try our best to teach all of the student via video .
Facebook/messenger conference call, to teach via video link. A 4yr old and a 6 yr old, normally in separate classes, who fidget.

Now, between you and me, I was no angel, but was hardly the most disruptive at school.
In the days when the head and deputy head had a single barrel sawed off cane in their top drawer.
In a grammar school annex that we set fire to, blew up, sabotaged and rugby was trench warfare sans trench.
And the teachers had swivel eyes in the backs of their heads, throwing skills of the best cricketers, and seemingly some sort of sixth sense...

Somehow, I get the feeling they haven’t thought this one through.
Still....baby steps
andy1
Expatriate
Korea North

Re: An outbreak of optimism

Post by andy1 »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 17, 2020 12:58 am In the aftermath of the schools being closed, we received this-

In response to the schools closure
Dear sir,
I would like to inform you that our school will have a small vacation from today until the 19th of April.
In response to my request for some outline info about the lessons that would have been planned, such that I can set some homework myself if needed
I would like to inform you sir. That our school closed beacause of the virus.
But we try our best to teach all of the student via video .
Facebook/messenger conference call, to teach via video link. A 4yr old and a 6 yr old, normally in separate classes, who fidget.

Now, between you and me, I was no angel, but was hardly the most disruptive at school.
In the days when the head and deputy head had a single barrel sawed off cane in their top drawer.
In a grammar school annex that we set fire to, blew up, sabotaged and rugby was trench warfare sans trench.
And the teachers had swivel eyes in the backs of their heads, throwing skills of the best cricketers, and seemingly some sort of sixth sense...

Somehow, I get the feeling they haven’t thought this one through.
Still....baby steps
They have thoroughly thought it through,they still want your money.................whether your children are there or not.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Not sure if this is the correct thread but beyond caring right now.

South American trip in tatters. Due to fly Mex to Medellin today. Yesterday Colombia banned all foreigners. Tried to get back to Vancouver and accross the big pond. Was about to book mex to YVR and then onwards when son texted, Canadian borders shut. All of central America has, this weekend, closed their doors with one exception- Mexico.

I am currently sitting in departures awaiting a flight from mex to Madrid and transiting to London Gatwick. Not cheap at 14 hours notice. But it is better that being in a very foreign land in a time of crisis with no support system. Being sick on the 3rd floor of an apartment with no friends and at 7500 feet above sea level just doesn't appeal.
So, back to the UK and death by boredom until I can get back to PP.
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

Wow, doc67, that really sucks for your trip, but as you say, you don't want to be stuck alone and possibly in lockdown in Mexico where you know nobody.
All the best for the return home. AM
paul2d
Expatriate
Canada

Post by paul2d »

Not much more to say.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic