Coronavirus Diaries

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Coronavirus Diaries

Post by Kammekor »

I thought it was mentioned in one of the Medcram videos, but a five minute search didn’t make them come up, instead a lot of hearsay did pop up (reddit, zetohedge). So I won’t be bothered to classify is as hearsay.
Joe5
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by Joe5 »

Khmu Nation wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:15 am I have been told the virus is spreading faster in some countries than others due to temperature and humidity.

Viruses function best in 0 to 10 degrees c where the air is dry. I imagine this is the temp of Italy right now.

Hot and sunny and uv rays kill the virus and high humidity means airborne virus droplets hit the ground faster.

I am not saying this is correct or incorrect
I imagine this is true to a certain extent. although there are so many other factors.

The fact that it is now starting to spread in the warmer climates, (plus being recognised in SEA now it is not coming from China)

built a quick report based on the JHU data, with a few things added, feel free to have a look.

Can filter by region & date range to give a better outlook on the growth rates, currently growing at near exponential rates in Europe (the only region I believe are reporting accurate figures).

https://app.powerbi.com/view?r=eyJrIjoi ... EwfQ%3D%3D

armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

An academic study postulates that latitude 30-50 degrees north is the danger zone for the virus.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3550308
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

frizzie77 wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:52 pm Please @Kammekor @Phnom Poon read carefully. I'm not saying people don't die of corona and yes, maybe Cambodia is under-reporting its cases (although no-one knows for sure), but no-one has literally dropped dead on the street from it, as in all of a sudden falling over. Which is what was suggested in UT's post.

If you're having a lung infection caused by corona, you're not walking around.
Careful... apparently too much thinking can be fatal
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

update march 11th in Italy: our president just announced that just the vital parts of the economy stay open: Food retailers, pharmacies and all acitivities related to health care. Some transport will remain available whatever that means. Basically all other businesses have to close down. ALL!. Now I guess that will panic many fellow italians. We are facing a complete new situation and dont know what the consequences of such a shutdown will be. A lot of questions remain unasnwered for the moment, what will happen if we cannot stop the spreading? Some scientist already predict that 70% of citizens could carry the virus withinn the next 5 weeks. Intensive care beds are already not available anymore in the hardest hit places, respiratory helping machines are fully occupied already, how will we be able to handle the increasing number of people who need that kind of treatment? No answers for the moment. Most of the neighbouring countries have not (yet) adopted this severe measures but the increasing number of infected people will probably force them to copy the italian way. Europe is on the brink of a massive health tsunami with unprecedented economical and social consequences. I hope that I am completely wrong.
work is for people who cant find truffles
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

According to the Khmer Times a Health Ministry spokesman stated that two women on a cruise from Vietnam which docked in Phnom Penh and Kampong Cham have proved positive for covid 19. He went on to assure people that there is no infection in Cambodia as thoes people were infected outside Cambodia. I thought l was living in 2020 but it appears to be 1984
truffledog
Expatriate
Italy

Post by truffledog »

some figures about the situation in Italy march 12th 2020:

general situation in Italy by region:

daily new number of cases:

divided by actual state of health:

yellow: total number of people tested positive
white: deceased
green: healed

daily update: https://www.corriere.it/speciale/salute ... us-italia/
work is for people who cant find truffles
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

armchairlawyer wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:36 pm An academic study postulates that latitude 30-50 degrees north is the danger zone for the virus.
https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm ... id=3550308
Interesting theory. (It's also most of the wine making regions of the world!)

https://www.mapmania.org/static/map/ori ... _60432.jpg
Robins
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Robins »

The news of the last 24 hours is the first time I have seriously started to worry about this disease.
fsdfdsdf
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by fsdfdsdf »

Kuroneko wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:05 am
fsdfdsdf wrote: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:43 pm from what I have read theres only one hospital in PP that does tests and they are so disorganized they are unable to test people even if they have symptoms, so its just a wait a see what happens situation, without tests nobody knows the situation here
Where did you read this? The real danger of the covd-19 outbreak is the fear mongering and speculation infecting social media.

Phnom Penh
The Ministry has also advised those seeking more information on the so-called Wuhan virus to call the health hotline at 115 and that anyone experiencing symptoms should visit the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital on Street 271 in Phnom Penh for testing.

Im not sure the accuracy but you seem to confirm that the Khmer-Soviet Friendship Hospital is the only one doing tests in PP, and the 115 line is probably a prerecorded message in khmer
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic