What Should Top NGO Executives Make?

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Re: What Should Top NGO Executives Make?

Post by vladimir »

Well, people have to eat, so that's a bit idealistic, even for me, but I suspect you're being sarcastic for the first time in your life.

Some understand the difference between reasonable or comfortable, as opposed to cushy. I have worked for 2 NGOs here, the first was part-time, only petrol allowance and a meal, no problem with that, the second FT, and I could barely survive, I had to teach PT to make do.

How many NGOs are there in this country?

Why do they recruit mostly only outside Cambodia?

Hint: tax breaks, salaries for buddies

$8500 here can buy you a lifestyle close to double or triple that in western countries.

One aspect that hasn't been mentioned is what this looks like to the recipients of NGO work. People surviving on very little, surrounded by SUV-driving, villa-dwelling, medevac-insured, international-schooling, mostly under-worked expats.

Obviously they are here for charity, right?
Jesus loves you...Mexico is great, right? ;)
Sir_Quality_U_Feel
Expatriate

Post by Sir_Quality_U_Feel »

General Mackevili wrote:Fuck it. I think all positions in all NGO's/charities should be volunteer positions. Then we could be sure we don't have anyone in the sector that's doing it only/partially for the money.
Scott Neeson used to be able to say " I make 7 figures per year" .... Now he doesn't even break 100k and people have a problem with that!?

Vlad... People can't live comfortably off 2,000 per month. A person can. A single guy in Phnom Penh might be "comfortable" (vague) but add a wife and 2 kids and a net income of 2k p/m... Lol
I'll give ya 500 Riel for it...
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

vladimir wrote:

Why do they recruit mostly only outside Cambodia?
Probably for the same reason that international schools typically recruit outside Cambodia.

I hate to say it, but unemployed people in Cambodia applying for executive positions in any organizations probably aren't the cream of the crop.

They want/need the best people in these positions, and they need to offer a little more than "you can live comfortably here in a 3rd world on it" salary.

And before you/anyone starts to put words in my mouth, I'm not saying that there aren't some assholes running these NGO's, I'm just saying I have no problem at all with them making what seems like a ridiculously high salary to some English teachers in Cambodia.

Also, I consider these people to be what I truly call an "expat."

They will come to Cambodia and work for a few years or so. Meanwhile, they have every intention to go back to their expensive lives back in the West after their contract. They're probably buying a house, sending a couple kids through college, etc.

Yes, Cambodia is cheap, but their salary for these executive positions need to reflect their lives back home where costs are much more. This is not a "year off to help underprivileged kids" before they go and finish their masters, this IS what they trained/studied for.

Let's face it, I consider English teachers who come to stay in Cambodia more as immigrants than expats. So what some people living in Cambodia consider to be a HUGE salary because they live here with no plans to leave, it wouldn't likely be enough to get anyone out of bed in the West who's qualified to do these jobs, even if they're charitable folks.

$100,000 a year just isn't that much money for people back in the West to move to a developing world to come do.

Again, and in no way am I sticking up for the dodgy NGO's, I'm just saying that a high salary in itself is NOTHING that gets my feathers ruffled.

Anyways, I will never expect you to be OK with people making a lot of MONEY, Vlad. Image Image
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

General Mackevili wrote:It is high. I think he and others deserve it.

Have you already answered the amount that you think Neeson should be paid? That would be an interesting amount. What is it?

And I think that offering a high salary isn't a big deal as far as attracting the people only in it for the money. Surely they have to go through a interview process, etc. That should be more of a factor than just thinking people are doing it only for the money.

What about the qualified people who want to help, but ALSO want to earn good money. I think that's fair. With a low salary you exclude them from even wanting to apply.

So I say offer a high salary. Yes, unsavory money hoarding anti-vladamirists will apply, but that's the price you pay for attempting to attract the best to apply, and you DON'T have to hire them.

I personally think that low, vlad-approved salaries would do more harm than good for the over all goals of these NGO's. I think you'd have a lot of qualified people that would like to run these NGO's, but just won't do it for silly wages. They'll instead work for regular businesses that are willing to pay them what they deserve. And then, because of the low salaries being offered, the NGO's will have to settle for less qualified people to fill this important roles.

So Vlad, how much should Neeson make?
Agreed.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

General Mackevili wrote:I hate to say it, but unemployed people in Cambodia applying for executive positions in any organizations probably aren't the cream of the crop.

How would you know? Seriously? You worked for a mid-range school, one that doesn’t even feature on the list of truly ‘international schools’ here. You had almost no experience in any NGO, did you? Have you ever recruited staff as an administrator for any organisation here?

Who mentioned unemployed people? You’re an idiot if you don’t know that already gainfully-employed people also apply for positions.

And before you/anyone starts to put words in my mouth, I'm not saying that there aren't some assholes running these NGO's, I'm just saying I have no problem at all with them making what seems like a ridiculously high salary to some English teachers in Cambodia.

Who was comparing it to what an English teacher earns? You deliberately ignored the most important factor, that is these people are doing CHARITY work. Do you support evangelical pastors earning millions? The obscene wealth of the Roman Catholic Church?

Also, I consider these people to be what I truly call an "expat."

Yeah, well, maybe you should inform the Oxford English dictionary and Merriam Webster that they don’t know what they’re talking about, I’m sure they’ll adjust their entries. The rest of us non-enlightened ones will have to use their standard definitions.

Yes, Cambodia is cheap, but their salary for these executive positions need to reflect their lives back home where costs are much more.

Why? They are living here. Seriously,what a stupid, dumb statement.

This is not a "year off to help underprivileged kids" before they go and finish their masters, this IS what they trained/studied for.

So the guy in the NGO studied NGO admin, and most NGO admins studied NGO admin? Really? Wow, maybe you should check your facts.

Anyways, I will never expect you to be OK with people making a lot of MONEY, Vlad.

That’s just fucking childish, you being you again. I have consistently qualified my statement to show that money earned ethically/morally is no problem, and you know that, but perhaps you’re just being a jock. That’s never happened before, it seems to be …just you.

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Studied "NGO Admin"? Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Stop being silly.

Would it be fair to say you only did such a low-paying NGO job because you wrongly assumed you'd get bumped up to a well-paid position, and were very upset and quit when that didn't happen?
Anyways, if you think the best and most qualified applicants are in Cambodia versus back in the West, I have nothing more to add, LoL.

You have already been proven on the other site to sell books that were given to you (and you know damn well you would have crucified your enemies if they had done the same thing), ask a "lawyer" for a job then act like you had no idea you'd be essentially be working for a, surprise, law firm, and the list goes on.

Get off you high humanity horse and admit you're only in the lowly paid positions you're always in because it's the only jobs you're remotely even qualified for.

All I'm saying is that these salaries that seem enormous to you ain't that much in the real world, and even if you work for a charity I have no problem with you making good money that makes some of us English teachers in Cambodia cry bloody murder.

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Satiated Parrot
Expatriate
Armenia

Post by Satiated Parrot »

Good point, GM. 93k for an executive is peanuts in the real world.
vladimir
The Pun-isher
Russia

Post by vladimir »

General Mackevili wrote:Studied "NGO Admin"? Now you're just putting words in my mouth. Stop being silly.

No, I'm not. You implied that these guys studied for these jobs, and many of them didn't. At least one was an ex=policeman, and many others have no relevant experience.

Would it be fair to say you only did such a low-paying NGO job because you wrongly assumed you'd get bumped up to a well-paid position, and were very upset and quit when that didn't happen?
Anyways, if you think the best and most qualified applicants are in Cambodia versus back in the West, I have nothing more to add, LoL.

Obviously everybody wants to improve their position in every job, right? How about you? No? And no, it's not teh only reason I took the job, but I fail to see this line of questioning's relevance to the argument.I'm willing to sit down with you and the Director of said NGO and prove to you that they fucked up when they hired me, because they wouldn't need the curricula I was hired to design because of ASEAN. So yes, I was kind of angry that people signed a 2 year contract when they should have known that it was not necessary to hire anyone.

You have already been proven on the other site to sell books that were given to you (and you know damn well you would have crucified your enemies if they had done the same thing), ask a "lawyer" for a job then act like you had no idea you'd be essentially be working for a, surprise, law firm, and the list goes on.

1. wtf have books got to do with this? Seriously, your logic is...

2. Are you blind? scobienz is not a lawyer, SP will vouch for that. I know that. He works in a legal office, but he's not a lawyer. Pay attention at the back, there. This argument has absolutely zit to do with the thread. Again, try and stay on topic, OK?

Get off you high humanity horse and admit you're only in the lowly paid positions you're always in because it's the only jobs you're remotely even qualified for.

Yeah, you're spelling/grammar mistakes on here prove how qualified you are, right? Ha! Low paid? Hah, compared to yours, only the NGO was low paid. Let's ask how many international organisations you have worked for here...And how is this even relevant to the argument? It's NOT. I've worked for two international companies in Cambodia, how many have you worked for ? Zip. Why? Because you're sooo qualified, right? LOL.

All I'm saying is that these salaries that seem enormous to you ain't that much in the real world, and even if you work for a charity I have no problem with you making good money that makes some of us English teachers in Cambodia cry bloody murder.

Is that all you're saying? Really. Because here, as in so many of your posts and in real life, you've once again shown what you really are like.
So many irrelevant, rambling bitchy comments, you being you.

Now can you answer the relevant questions I raised in my previous post, without going into snide/bitchy mode?

General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Vladimir wrote:Is that all you're saying?
Yes. Image

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Satiated Parrot wrote:Good point, GM. 93k for an executive is peanuts in the real world.
Yeah. I just think that's incomprehensible for the Vlad. I think I'm finished replying to him on this thread. I think we can ALL predict where this will go by now.

Vlad can paint whatever picture he wants to about his previous work history here in the kingdom/elsewhere but I don't think he'll change my mind about how I perceive it, LoL.

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic