Rooms on Wat Bo Road

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Rooms on Wat Bo Road

Post by angkorjohn2 »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 6:32 pm
WildA wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 5:22 pm
JUDGEDREDD wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:41 am
WildA wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:53 am
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:17 pm I was watching this YouTube channel (Dave Does Cambodia) and he was saying you can get rooms for $150-200.

Are they plentiful?

I would rather spend an extra $100 per month on air con to escape heat so cheaper room would be great if they exists.

I’m just coming to work for x months so wouldn’t mind working 10 hours per day in air con.

Anyone seen any of these rooms before?
:ast month I looked at a bunch of those $200 rooms. And $300 rooms. And I rented a place that wasnt either.
Can you elaborate
Yeah those $200-300 rooms sucked. You want nice, go $500 and negotiate them down. I have 125 sqm 500 meters from Pub street in a quiet area in an elevator building.
I know what you say is correct, but like I said it's work, gym, eat, sleep for up to 12 months.

Maybe I little day at a swimming pool on a Saturday if anyone has any suggestions on the ones where you can pay some money or buy drinks.

Here is a list - a bit out of date but mostly accurate https://www.siemreap.net/forum/topic/sw ... mate-list/
was a thread here from it post287566.html#p287566 -

I gotta ask what Gym you think you are near at Wat Bo? there is one at the end of Tep Vong which is a basic khmer $1 a time, no fans, no aircon and dated equipment and often busy with tuk tuk drivers on their break. Best Gyms are Angkor InterFitness (5 min walk from Wat Bo) and Gold Fitness ($1 tuk tuk ride, 5 min bike ride, 15 min walk from Wat Bo) Gold FItness is $5 a time or $50 a month. you get the use of the pool, steam, sauna and brand new gym equipment. for something a bit less fancy Mr Ly's gym.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

JUDGEDREDD wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 7:52 pm I'm quite a basic bitch so I'm certain I'd be happy with less than most tbh.

Either that or Kampot, jampot.
Same, I wouldn't want an apartment too westernized or I'd live in the west.
Last edited by SiemReapRoddy on Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Wed Mar 11, 2020 8:39 pm

:ast month I looked at a bunch of those $200 rooms. And $300 rooms. And I rented a place that wasnt either.
Can you elaborate
Yeah those $200-300 rooms sucked. You want nice, go $500 and negotiate them down. I have 125 sqm 500 meters from Pub street in a quiet area in an elevator building.
I know what you say is correct, but like I said it's work, gym, eat, sleep for up to 12 months.

Maybe I little day at a swimming pool on a Saturday if anyone has any suggestions on the ones where you can pay some money or buy drinks.

Here is a list - a bit out of date but mostly accurate https://www.siemreap.net/forum/topic/sw ... mate-list/

I gotta ask what Gym you think you are near at Wat Bo? there is one at the end of Tep Vong which is a basic khmer $1 a time, no fans, no aircon and dated equipment and often busy with tuk tuk drivers on their break. Best Gyms are Angkor InterFitness (5 min walk from Wat Bo) and Gold Fitness ($1 tuk tuk ride, 5 min bike ride, 15 min walk from Wat Bo) Gold FItness is $5 a time or $50 a month. you get the use of the pool, steam, sauna and brand new gym equipment. for something a bit less fancy Mr Ly's gym.
I will get a monthly membership at Gold Fitness to use their pool, steam room, sauna, kettlebells, slam balls, sled prowler, etc.

I will use Angkor Muscle Gym which is just south of Wat Bo for the weight lifting equipment.

I might sometimes use the MRLY gym for their boxing bags.

I'll be buying a bicycle so will ride everywhere. A little extra cardio never hurts :)
WildA
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by WildA »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 4:17 pm I was watching this YouTube channel (Dave Does Cambodia) and he was saying you can get rooms for $150-200.

Are they plentiful?

I would rather spend an extra $100 per month on air con to escape heat so cheaper room would be great if they exists.

I’m just coming to work for x months so wouldn’t mind working 10 hours per day in air con.

Anyone seen any of these rooms before?
Can you elaborate

Well dude you are saying you have to be trapped in a room for 10 hours a day and dont want any luxury? Full size fridge? No drinking water delivery? Linen changes? Maid service? Poo lright downstairs? Enough sqm to walk around when you take a break from work? Washing machine? Elevator? Balconies? View?

Im generally home all day working on my pics. I wouldnt even be here in Siem if I had to live in a $300 room. Broaden your horizens.

PS if you want to PM me, I can give you some tips of places in the $450 range. Pool tips are optional.
Naturam expelles furca, tamen usque recurret. Horace
Just because you are paranoid doesn't mean they arent out to get you. Pynchon
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 am

Can you elaborate

I will get a monthly membership at Gold Fitness to use their pool, steam room, sauna, kettlebells, slam balls, sled prowler, etc.

I will use Angkor Muscle Gym which is just south of Wat Bo for the weight lifting equipment.

I'll be buying a bicycle so will ride everywhere. A little extra cardio never hurts :)
all sounds like a good idea but completely nullifies why you originally said you wanted to be on Wat Bo Road seeing as Mr Ly and Gold Fitness are not by there and AMG is more like down river from wat damnak. To put it simply and to assist you Roddy, every westerner hears of Wat Bo Road and therefore wants to rent there. ergo, prices are higher for the same stuff you'd get elsewhere. Svay dangkum is near Mr Ly and Gold Fitness and also near the center of town (as is everything) and will be more bang for your buck. Although busy neighborhoods (same as Wat Bo) you could go down the river across from AMG and also get something good and very quiet area and cheap.

If you want to stretch your money, lose the fascination with Wat Bo as I haven't a clear idea why you were so obsessed with it aside from seeing a video. You don't need it to be near an office, although Bio Lab cafe on Wat Bo is a nice workspace there are dozens of places that would fall into the same bracket all over town. It isnt super close to the gyms or the supermarkets and is a spill off from national road 6 so is very busy and noisy. As I'm sure has been mentioned, book a cheap hotel and have a cycle around the areas to decide what you want and also to see what you get for your money.

My buddy lives about 500m down the river from the bridge connected to AMG as you head to the lake. Convenient and quiet, he pays $180 has a lounge/kitchen with big fridge , tv, fast wifi, and separate bedroom with balcony and A/C. plus access to a shared roof terrace. quiet and peaceful. nice landlady, no washing machine but the landlady owns a laundry downstairs...the only issue is she also has a big croc farm at the back but it would be hard to fall in but sure keeps the thieves away :D

he said what he was shown Wat Bo side for that price was smaller and half the amenities.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 4:35 pm
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Thu Mar 12, 2020 8:48 am

all sounds like a good idea but completely nullifies why you originally said you wanted to be on Wat Bo Road seeing as Mr Ly and Gold Fitness are not by there and AMG is more like down river from wat damnak. To put it simply and to assist you Roddy, every westerner hears of Wat Bo Road and therefore wants to rent there. ergo, prices are higher for the same stuff you'd get elsewhere. Svay dangkum is near Mr Ly and Gold Fitness and also near the center of town (as is everything) and will be more bang for your buck. Although busy neighborhoods (same as Wat Bo) you could go down the river across from AMG and also get something good and very quiet area and cheap.

If you want to stretch your money, lose the fascination with Wat Bo as I haven't a clear idea why you were so obsessed with it aside from seeing a video. You don't need it to be near an office, although Bio Lab cafe on Wat Bo is a nice workspace there are dozens of places that would fall into the same bracket all over town. It isnt super close to the gyms or the supermarkets and is a spill off from national road 6 so is very busy and noisy. As I'm sure has been mentioned, book a cheap hotel and have a cycle around the areas to decide what you want and also to see what you get for your money.

My buddy lives about 500m down the river from the bridge connected to AMG as you head to the lake. Convenient and quiet, he pays $180 has a lounge/kitchen with big fridge , tv, fast wifi, and separate bedroom with balcony and A/C. plus access to a shared roof terrace. quiet and peaceful. nice landlady, no washing machine but the landlady owns a laundry downstairs...the only issue is she also has a big croc farm at the back but it would be hard to fall in but sure keeps the thieves away :D

he said what he was shown Wat Bo side for that price was smaller and half the amenities.
Tbh I only said Wat Bo because I've heard it the most.

I'm quite open to anywhere if anyone has good suggestions.

Like the place down the river. But I Googled AMG and nothing came up, so do you mind telling me what it is.

Any suggestions based on the gyms I mentioned and access to local market would be highly appreciated.

I will check out them all.

Thanks.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

AMG = Angkor Muscle Gym - I have also provided you already with several locations. Siem Reap is small everywhere is close.

You want pub street and noise look around the sok san area
you want a lot of expats nearby and western bars and restaurants - Wat Damnak/Wat Bo/Makara 7 Area. You will also pay for the privilege
You Want quieter - look down the river (as i described earlier) or further up near Angkor Conservation/Wat Polanka
You want to be near the gyms but a bit more khmer - svay dangkum area/Taphul Village
you want to be out in the countryside - Phare roundabout area

but here is my best advice. write down what are the key things you cannot live without in your accommodation- i'm guessing it is good wifi / AC (good choice as it is already hot as hell at 102), fridge? cooking amenities? space? balcony? security? ground floor? top floor?

Next think about what type of area do you like - as I have said, there nowhere is too far on a pushbike and you are never more than a $1-$2 grab ride from anywhere centrally. so does it need to be near a supermarket/minimart or a local market, does it need to be near a gym, if so how near. does it need to be quiet, does it need to be full of western neighbors. once you have these two lists, post them along with your max price in the groups I shared with you earlier which you have hopefully joined or email the agents i also gave you and see what comes back. Only then will you be able to make your choice as the perfect spot will not exist, something will have to give, but only you know what that is, nobody else. good luck with the search sir.
SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

You've convinced me I want to live down the river now ha

You're right, anywhere is accessible on a pushbike in little time.

All the stuff you said your mate had access to sounds great.

I basically want a quiet area with decent wifi, air con, desk/chair, fridge, and cooking area. Balcony a bonus.

Just one quick question if you don't mind because I don't really know much about the town. When you say down the river do you mean around area 1 or area 2 where there are apartments you can just show up and rent.

Or are there any road numbers/main attractions you can point me to?

I'll go through everything you said and take notes for future reference.

Thanks a lot.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

SiemReapRoddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:24 am You've convinced me I want to live down the river now ha

I basically want a quiet area with decent wifi, air con, desk/chair, fridge, and cooking area. Balcony a bonus.

Just one quick question if you don't mind because I don't really know much about the town. When you say down the river do you mean around area 1 or area 2 where there are apartments you can just show up and rent.

Thanks a lot.

Neither of those Roddy, I meant across the river - approx here. but as i said first and foremost. get a cheap guesthouse, get a bike and cycle around. see the neighborhoods for yourself. see if the amenities are what you want, and speak to the agents, ain't no point getting excited for an area to find there is no accommodation that suits your needs there. When are you moving anyway? I feel you've been about to move for about 8 months now and still haven't made it.

SiemReapRoddy
Expatriate
Equatorial Guinea

Post by SiemReapRoddy »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:54 pm
SiemReapRoddy wrote: Fri Mar 13, 2020 6:24 am You've convinced me I want to live down the river now ha

Thanks a lot.

Neither of those Roddy, I meant across the river - approx here. but as i said first and foremost. get a cheap guesthouse, get a bike and cycle around. see the neighborhoods for yourself. see if the amenities are what you want, and speak to the agents, ain't no point getting excited for an area to find there is no accommodation that suits your needs there. When are you moving anyway? I feel you've been about to move for about 8 months now and still haven't made it.

Thanks buddy, I appreciate the help.

I will check out your circled area first, but will look around other areas to see how they feel too.

I will be moving in just over 1 week when my Thai visa runs out. I would like to be in long term apartment by first week of April.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic