Lastest "let's copy Thailand" move: anthem at the cinema

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Lastest "let's copy Thailand" move: anthem at the cinema

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Went to the movies the other day and lo and behold, right after all the commercials, big Khmer font: please rise for the national anthem and boom, here we go.

I'd always heard this was a thing in Thailand (never been to a cinema there myself), and was always happy that here it wasn't. I'm wondering if it'll be here for good, but my gut instinct is yes as they can't "back down" from the patriotism.

It doesn't bother me that much, but I do find it totally unnecessary and slightly bizarre. It's obviously yet another idea copied from Thailand, but I wonder who at the ministry comes up with these gems... Or maybe it's just a Major Cineplex initiative (which is Thai-owned)? For some reason it's not even the anthem or standing that bothers me, it's the blind "let's copy Thailand because if they do it it just be a good idea" mentality.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Lastest

Post by Spigzy »

Major Cineplex is from Thailand.

I stick to Legend myself, better popcorn.
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Not a new thing the national anthem has been played in cinema's as long a l have travelled here. (15 years). It also features on Khmer television broadcasts.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

chiltern wrote:Not a new thing the national anthem has been played in cinema's as long a l have travelled here. (15 years). It also features on Khmer television broadcasts.
What are you talking about? I live here and go to the cinema at least twice per month at both major chains (starting years ago at the original Legend at CityMall), even went to Lux cinema a few times around ten years ago and this is definitely a new development. 7am TV station anthem is a different thing.

Spigzy wrote:Major Cineplex is from Thailand.

I stick to Legend myself, better popcorn.
That's why I'm wondering if it's just MC, or a new requirement by the Ministry of Culture or something. Perhaps it's the same deal at Legend now.

I tend to stick to MC, much better screens and seats, but if it's their own initiative I'll switch to Legend. Legend do have much cheaper snacks as well.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

another reason to avoid giving money to any of these monkeys from hollyweed or any other lobotomy industry.
I have never paid for any music or movie and will never. I also do not respect any "artist" making money on poor gullible people.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

This is the very reason why I don’t go to the cinema. You love doesn’t mean I need to love, you respect doesn’t mean I need to respect, your father is not my father, your mother is not my mother.
programmer
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by programmer »

At the cinema here, the Thais come in 20 minutes after the announced movie time. I think it's for this exact reason (plus skipping the movie ads).
lostjeremy
Expatriate

Re: Lastest "let's copy Thailand" move: anthem at the cinema

Post by lostjeremy »

This has been a thing for a very long time at Legend.

Never had it at Major or Prime though.

Sent from my CPH1823 using Tapatalk

jubo2
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by jubo2 »

yong wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 7:35 pm This is the very reason why I don’t go to the cinema. You love doesn’t mean I need to love, you respect doesn’t mean I need to respect, your father is not my father, your mother is not my mother.

Exactly ! But anyway to watch what ? The usual hollywood $hit made by billionaire jews who are just happy to put more $hit in people head ?
Ghostwriter
Expatriate
France

Post by Ghostwriter »

jubo2 wrote: Fri Mar 06, 2020 11:19 pm Exactly ! But anyway to watch what ? The usual hollywood $hit made by billionaire jews who are just happy to put more $hit in people head ?
Yay jubo2, you sound like Mel Gibson on a meth binge.
Do you stand up and listen to the Deutschland Uber Alles anthem before watching the Schindler's List ?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic