Turning Oneself Into Immigration

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Turning Oneself Into Immigration

Post by Lost50 »

So recently we see more & more posts about people handing themselves into immigration asking to be sent home.

I asked before on a thread but did not get a reply, but my question is a simple one...

Has anyone ever heard anything from these people after they handed themselves in?

I know most are not known & are just randoms but a lot of us knew Martin Cleary for example, anyone hear from him?

I ask because I wonder how things go in there & the overall experience.

I also ask because I expect an acquintance to be in that very situation soon, not because of lack of help or people caring just because he cannot grasp how life goes.

Thank you to one & all.
Spigzy
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Turning Oneself Into Immigration

Post by Spigzy »

I can only recommend the route of that Australian(?) woman of going for a 5-star hotel buffet, declaring you have no money to pay & wait for the competent authorities to come & remove you. Sure beats being scraped off the pavement on street 51 ... "If you're gonna go, go with a smile!"
:hattip:
Meum est propositum in taberna mori,
ut sint Guinness proxima morientis ori.
tunc cantabunt letius angelorum chori:
"Sit Deus propitius huic potatori."
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Lost50 wrote:
I know most are not known & are just randoms but a lot of us knew Martin Cleary for example, anyone hear from him?
Martin​ Cleary is doing alright..​Very active on fb =)

What happens to others.. No idea...

Last edited by Equinix on Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

Sweet, thats good news, glad he is well. If he ever feels like sharing his experiences, which may help others, it would be great.

On a sidenote, why quote my whole post? I think admin have mentioned in the past that long quotes are not needed.
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Lost50 wrote:On a sidenote, why quote my whole post? I think admin have mentioned in the past that long quotes are not needed.
There ya go
Equinix
Expatriate

Post by Equinix »

Lost50 wrote:Sweet, thats good news, glad he is well. If he ever feels like sharing his experiences, which may help others, it would be great.
I'll ask him =)
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Many of the reports which claim that the illegal overstayers "handed themselves in" are false, most have actually been caught out and apprehended by the authorities. No idea why they are all being reported as handing themselves in.
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Thu Mar 05, 2020 5:57 pm Many of the reports which claim that the illegal overstayers "handed themselves in" are false, most have actually been caught out and apprehended by the authorities. No idea why they are all being reported as handing themselves in.
Cool. I presume one of those who spent time in detention told you because surely you had a credible source. Can they give an insight into treatment, conditions & life after?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

Yes, from a credible source. I have visited someone at the DoI detention cells to deliver cash from a family member of a bloke locked up, I didn't know the guy personally, just helped the family member after they reached out to me on FB, I didn't enquire into his situation but had a brief chat about his time in detention.

Conditions seemed fairly decent - clean and comfortable - and they all appeared to be treated well by the staff. Most in there had mobile phones with them, most weren't kept locked up in cells during the day, and as long as they had money then they could purchase their own food/drinks (yes, even beer) to supplement the food provided and buy supplies like toiletries, phone credit, etc. The majority detained weren't criminals, just extremely irresponsible people (I originally wrote losers - but I guess that's a bit harsh generalising that all of them are losers) who for whatever reasons overstayed their visas by excessively long periods of time.

I have no sympathy for the majority of those caught and detained for overstaying, it is extremely simple and inexpensive to maintain a legal Immigration status in Cambodia. There are the odd cases where someone has overstayed due to unforeseen circumstances, ie. had an accident or serious illness and have been hospitalised without/with minimum support, but the majority of those who overstay have brought it on themselves, whether they have gone off the rails due to drugs, alcohol or women - or have intentionally tried to deceive the system due to being "top blokes".
Lost50
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Lost50 »

I am so thanful that you replied, thank you from the bottom of my heart
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic