Immigration Crackdown

Cambodia news in English! Here you'll find all the breaking news from Cambodia translated into English for our international readership and expat community to read and comment on. The majority of our news stories are gathered from the local Khmer newspapers, but we also bring you newsworthy media from Cambodia before you read them anywhere else. Because of the huge population of the capital city, most articles are from Phnom Penh, but Siem Reap, Sihanoukville, and Kampot often make the headlines as well. We report on all arrests and deaths of foreigners in Cambodia, and the details often come from the Cambodian police or local Khmer journalists. As an ASEAN news outlet, we also publish regional news and events from our neighboring countries. We also share local Khmer news stories that you won't find in English anywhere else. If you're looking for a certain article, you may use our site's search feature to find it quickly.
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Immigration Crackdown

Post by The Add Jay »

Hey guys. While getting a haircut today on Kampuchea Krom about 100 meters from Central market there was a massive crackdown. Inside my barbershop about 10 cops lined up everyone and demanded to see everyone's passport. After taken everyone's name down he lined 10 people inside the shop and took a group photo. Once the cops finished there they moved onto the next store. Outside 5 guys with AKMs along with various other men some in uniforms others dressed like Mao Zedong.

Also just heard from an older friend in Snookie. They come to his place and wanted to see his papers. They are also demanding back pay from years of living here!! He is freaking out but they gave him 6 months to come up with the paper work or the money. :dragonchase: :dragonchase:

You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Immigration Crackdown

Post by Username Taken »

The Add Jay wrote: and demanded to see everyone's passport.
Who carries a passport?

Obviously they weren't looking for you. I don't see a problem, nor do I see a connection with your buddy in SHV.

How many Afriques were in the shop?
wackyjacky
Expatriate

Post by wackyjacky »

^^^^ There's a long running thread on the other forum about this. I suggest you read it. This may be a problem or not.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Post by Username Taken »

Maybe a problem for some.

I can't imagine the Gestapo raiding Haircut shops, restaurants, bars, etc. demanding to see passports.

:beer1:
The Add Jay
Expatriate
Libya

Post by The Add Jay »

They all spoke khmer(I think) they pulled mostly Passports from Vietnam and some Chinese. The girls were scared.

How can you not make the connection between snookie and what I just saw?? I thought it was all hype and bullshit but after today its obvious. I teach p.t at night and I also got a letter saying if immigration comes to your own just show them this piece of paper and they will leave you alone.
You're a nobody in the gutter with a Smartphone in your a hand.

Ordinem ad Imperium
General Mackevili
The General
United States of America

Post by General Mackevili »

You were outside the barbershop when this happened? Did they give you any grief?
"Life is too important to take seriously."

"Life does not cease to be funny when people die any more than it ceases to be serious when people laugh."

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT ME

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

mostly being used against viets, koreans and chinese, but quite a few barang caught up in the work permit thing.
taabarang
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by taabarang »

Wackyjacky's advice to read the thread on "the other forum" is spot on. Vladimir's pessimism is shared by me as well. This is just the beginning. First they target the easy victims, but it will not stop there. For those of us us who are married to Cambodians and or retired with only break even income the nightmare has just begun. I'm afraid the readers of the other forum have reached a correct decision based on better information than the scanty bits here. They appear to be better read.
As my old Cajun bait seller used to say, "I opes you luck.
Soi Dog
Expatriate

Post by Soi Dog »

taabarang wrote: For those of us us who are married to Cambodians and or retired with only break even income the nightmare has just begun.
I don't know about the "married to Cambodians" bit, but life as an expat is getting much more difficult across the board for those of very modest means. Visa requirements everywhere will continue to get more strict and costly, and there don't seem to be any relief valves left....no other places to go (relatively inexpensive, fun and with desirable climates, anyway). The ending of era. Learn how to swim or sink like a stone.....
frank lee bent
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by frank lee bent »

barang businesses in sihanoukville and kampot have been the subject of raids by immigration over the past few months for work permits.
The PP Post and Cambo daily have been full of it for weeks now.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic