Burma travel

Yeah, that place out 'there'. Anything not really Cambodia related should go here.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Burma travel

Post by phuketrichard »

[Mod edit: created a new topic from some off topic posts]
johnny lightning wrote: Sun Mar 01, 2020 4:11 pm Boats are fine for a day or 2 but not exactly the simplest thing to arrange, other than a ferry from A to B. If I had taken a boat for all the destinations I have been to (assuming it's not hundreds of miles from a coastline) over the last 2 years I would still be on the water 2 years from now. Nice idea but not that practical.

I haven't given up but it is getting pretty tiresome, not to mention a big financial drain.
Next person to find the new paradise, let us know! (I know, I wouldn't either).

Johnny
BURMA :thumb: :thumb:
and i am NOT referring to just the big 4, ( Yangon, Mandalay, Bagan & Inle lake)

Boats, (down the Chindwin & Irrawadday rivers and from Dawei to Kwathoung), Trains,(all over), Motorcycles, (thru the Chin & Shan state), horse carts & of course some flights

Traveling there is great and a lot like the traveling i did thru Thailand, Laos, Malaysia & Indonesia back in the 80's-90's
https://phuket.zenfolio.com/f125862719
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: More Chinese Takeover in Sihanoukville

Post by johnny lightning »

Back to clichés, but as for Burma, been there done that 33 years ago. I did do boats and trains, can't recall if you could even fly to Mandalay back then. I quite like both the country and the people but I am not in a hurry to go back for the usual reasons. Place has changed beyond recognition, too many jumping on the bandwagon, prices skyrocketing for accommodation blah blah blah. That said if I hadn't been there already I would certainly go take a look.

Johnny
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

johnny lightning wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:02 pm Back to clichés, but as for Burma, been there done that 33 years ago. I did do boats and trains, can't recall if you could even fly to Mandalay back then. I quite like both the country and the people but I am not in a hurry to go back for the usual reasons. Place has changed beyond recognition, too many jumping on the bandwagon, prices skyrocketing for accommodation blah blah blah. That said if I hadn't been there already I would certainly go take a look.

Johnny
Just got an inquisitive question, how did you travel Burma 33 yrs ago, being illeagle at the time, I did my self only because I was one crazy SOB back then and bribed a border guard with 2 bottles of johhnny walker and two cartons of Marlborough reds, directed to a taxi driver under strict instructions if not back within 48 hrs security forces would come find me me, where you are a welcomed guest?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

mouytiet wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:53 pm
johnny lightning wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:02 pm Back to clichés, but as for Burma, been there done that 33 years ago. I did do boats and trains, can't recall if you could even fly to Mandalay back then. I quite like both the country and the people but I am not in a hurry to go back for the usual reasons. Place has changed beyond recognition, too many jumping on the bandwagon, prices skyrocketing for accommodation blah blah blah. That said if I hadn't been there already I would certainly go take a look.

Johnny
Just got an inquisitive question, how did you travel Burma 33 yrs ago, being illeagle at the time, I did my self only because I was one crazy SOB back then and bribed a border guard with 2 bottles of johhnny walker and two cartons of Marlborough reds, directed to a taxi driver under strict instructions if not back within 48 hrs security forces would come find me me, where you are a welcomed guest?
well i first visited in 1988( legally) an there was an airport in Mandalay an Yangon, all land borders closed, you were only allowed 1 week and pretty much a bottle of johnny walker red ( black preferred) and 1 carton of 555's would almost cover ur full trip

Johnny, i have to say ur just dammed jaded as there were only a few places you could visit 33 years ago,(unlike now) and given you only had 7 days you could see fuck all. :stir:

Its still a great country to visit.
Last edited by phuketrichard on Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
mouytiet
Expatriate
Cook Islands

Post by mouytiet »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 5:23 pm
mouytiet wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 4:53 pm

Johnny
well i first visited in 1988( legally) an there was an airport in Mandalay an Yangon, all land borders closed, you were only allowed 1 week and pretty much a bottle of johnny walker red ( black preferred) and 1 carton of 555's would almost cover ur full trip

Johnny, i have to say ur just dammed jaded as there were only a few places you could visit 33 years ago,(unlike now) and given you only had 7 days you could see fuck all. :stir:

Its still a great country to visit.
impressed mate and that youve managed to hang on to that passport all these years, i got away with red label.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Burma travel

Post by Marty »

All you dudes are impressive. I travelled Burma 66years ago, but cant remember that much. I do remember all the usual bribery stuff. Tip: these days bribe with gold coins.
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Burma travel

Post by johnny lightning »

Mouytiet - Don't know where you got the idea it was illegal in 1987. I am pretty sure the other people and myself that flew in from Bangladesh were not smuggled in or anything of the sort. And yes the black label and 555s did pretty much pay for the trip.

PR - I don't know what you did with your 7 days but I can assure you I saw plenty. As for being too damn jaded, you are absolutely right. I am not in a hurry to go back for the same reason I have not visited Angkor Wat since my first and only time in 1996. Irrevocably changed (for the worse in my opinion).

Marty - I wish you remembered more. Must have been fascinating back then.

Johnny
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic