Change in driving license renewal fees

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
holide
Tourist
Germany

Change in driving license renewal fees

Post by holide »

Hello,
I have heard lastly that the fees to renew a Cambodian driving license went up to 30$. I heard also that if your old driving license is expired you need to pay a penalty charge of 500 Riel per day now when you renew your license.
Can anyone confirm those information who has done a renew in the past 2 or 3 weeks please?
Thanks!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Change in driving license renewal fees

Post by phuketrichard »

thats what they are saying otof at Aeon form someone that went last week

$30 ++
122.000 riel for the license, 1000 riel for the photocopy and 10.000 riel for the eye test, 2000 riel for the payment service called "blablaPAY" (there was a sticker with this brand on her desk). There was an electronic ticket coming out of a small machine.
Khmer still pay $7.50
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

holide wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:18 am Hello,
I have heard lastly that the fees to renew a Cambodian driving license went up to 30$. I heard also that if your old driving license is expired you need to pay a penalty charge of 500 Riel per day now when you renew your license.
Can anyone confirm those information who has done a renew in the past 2 or 3 weeks please?
Thanks!
True. The 500 Riel p/d fine applies to licenses expired more than 30 days, no fine if expiry date less than 30 days.
holide
Tourist
Germany

Post by holide »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 am thats what they are saying otof at Aeon form someone that went last week

$30 ++
122.000 riel for the license, 1000 riel for the photocopy and 10.000 riel for the eye test, 2000 riel for the payment service called "blablaPAY" (there was a sticker with this brand on her desk). There was an electronic ticket coming out of a small machine.
Khmer still pay $7.50
Thanks for confirming this bad news! :(
holide
Tourist
Germany

Post by holide »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:09 pm
holide wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:18 am Hello,
Thanks!
True. The 500 Riel p/d fine applies to licenses expired more than 30 days, no fine if expiry date less than 30 days.
That's good to know! Thanks a lot!
Do you know if the 500 Riel p/d fine for driving licenses which expired more than 30 days will be counted from day 1 or from day 31? My wife will be in PP just 32 days after expiry. Will it be fined now with 32x500Riel or 2x500Riel?
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

holide wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:13 pm
Do you know if the 500 Riel p/d fine for driving licenses which expired more than 30 days will be counted from day 1 or from day 31? My wife will be in PP just 32 days after expiry. Will it be fined now with 32x500Riel or 2x500Riel?
No idea sorry...either way it's peanuts, less than USD$4 so nothing to be overly concerned about.
Clutch Cargo
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clutch Cargo »

Renewed my yearly cambo license last week @ Aeon 2

All up approx $33 give or take 2000riel.

In case someone asks..no requirement for residency for renewals of existing licenses..they didn't even ask what my address was.

If you want to save time and not muck around with photocopy lady there who is slow and the counter guy will attend to another customer while you go off and get the required photocopies, you need 1 copy passport page, 1 copy visa page, 1 copy (front and back) cambo license being renewed, 1 copy (front and back) of your homeland licence. No passport sized pics required...they do a digital one there.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

I'll not be back in Cambodia before my licence expires. Another bloody irritation.
Austman
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Austman »

phuketrichard wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 9:34 am thats what they are saying otof at Aeon form someone that went last week

$30 ++
Khmer still pay $7.50
I got a new license at Aeon 2 " I was told expats only at Aeon 2 kmers 1 or 2" June 10 2020! all above is correct!!
An English guy from Siem Reap had let his local license expire by 4 months "he said"... he paid $30 and a fine Sorry but I am not sure how much! But he was very happy when he left.
The expats are separated from kmers you get different numbers to the locals, when I was there was only one person who was looking after the expats (he spoke English quite well and some Chinese it seemed) and about 10 (I didn't count) looking after Cambodians. If you want a license for a car and motorbike so you can ride motorbikes over 125cc you will have to specify it! tell the person you want it for a motorbike also and you would be best to take something that explains the definitions of on your home country license ie my license has R (rider) for motorbike and ensure your home country license is valid (in date). I would suggest getting there early. It took me nearly 3 hours to get it all done!

A letter from the sangkat stating your address (proof of residence in cambodia) and stating you need a license (cost me $5)
passport
2 passport photos... they say 3
Your home country license .in date
Hope I didn't forget anything......... good Luck
My wife said to get one of those pills that'll give me a huge hard on for hours! I brought her back some diet pills, Now I am hiding out in Cambodia for a few years until she calms down!
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

PSD-Kiwi wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 6:00 pm
holide wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 3:13 pm
No idea sorry...either way it's peanuts, less than USD$4 so nothing to be overly concerned about.
Counted from day 31.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic