Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Dunderhead
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Dunderhead »

Same as it ever was, when people who have never spent one day in the real economy are running things you get silly schemes like this
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Doc67 wrote: Sat Nov 28, 2020 11:17 am
Why would you invest $300k+ in real estate in a country that won't give you a right of residence for the duration of your ownership? They can change the rules at any times and make the cost of your visa, just to visit your condo, as much as the cost of renting one for a month.
I can understand that view and it's all about individual circumstance, motivations and attitude to risk.

I bought my place 16 years ago and took the view that as a significant % of the economy was dependent on foreign tourism growth and also a burgeoning construction/property sector seeking to attract foreign buyers, the risk of significant rule changes negatively affecting my decision was unlikely and one I was willing to take. It has panned out that way so far for me and the situation Thailand currently faces, staring at the scale of lost foreign tourist and investment revenue doesn't alter my original viewpoint, if it anything it strengthens it for the medium term beyond which time it is unlikely to impact me.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

"The visa, called Easy Access, will entitle members to perks, including a VIP guide at the airport, expedited immigration and passport control, free limousine transport from the airport to a hotel or residence 24 times a year, and other favors."

That's weird. Almost creepy.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

outbreak in Chiang Mai

326 people came in contact with a Thai woman in Chiang Mai who was diagnosed with #COVID19 and had visited a shopping mall, a pub and a cinema and used public transport & Grab car services.

This wont help getting Thailand open
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

their opinion and thoughts fit in with what i have been saying

No vaccine, no entry – the next Covid challenge
The approval of a reliable Covid-19 vaccine will be a game-changer. Over the past 2 weeks there has been several announcements, and a few bumps, about candidate vaccines that are now either in the latter stages of their Phase 3 trials, or now seeking approval from government health bodies. But a vaccine, and its roll out, brings the next Covid challenge…
What restrictions will be imposed on those people who don’t have the vaccine, or even actively choose not to have the vaccine?

And more locally…

Will Thailand allow people to enter Thailand without first having the Covid-19 vaccine?
But there is little doubt rejoining the world of international travel, even local travel, could become restricted to only those who are vaccinated. The rest will be stuck roaming around their own countries, or states, for… years with a raft of restrictions on their lives. Who knows.

Will shopping centres or public buildings also impose a “no vaccine, no entry” policy? Hotels? Public buildings? Job applications?

On top of the economic stress which has fallen on a lot of the world, with so many governments now facing the headwinds of deep recession, the vaccine ‘haves’ and ‘have nots’ will add even more public disquiet.

At this stage nobody is sure how the vaccine will be rolled out in Thailand. The Thai government has already signed up for several of the leading vaccine candidates and will most likely provide the vaccine for free to citizens under its public health system.
What does that mean for foreigners living here? If you are covered, with a work permit, under the country’s public health, are you able to get the vaccine for free too? Will the thousands of foreigners on private health insurance be covered?
and i ask, what about those living her without any medical insurance? Will we need to buy it?> Will we get it before OR after the thais?
Added to all this confusion, there is more than one vaccine, and some of the vaccines work in different ways than others. So do airlines and governments and shops and hotels and bowling alleys allow one vaccine through their doors but not another?
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/no-v ... f-covid-19
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

the worlds fucked wish could just rewind back to 2019 and start this year again, when people said it would be years until things got back to normal, i thought they were sill, but im starting to see their viewpoint now :(
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:24 am the worlds fucked wish could just rewind back to 2019 and start this year again, when people said it would be years until things got back to normal, i thought they were sill, but im starting to see their viewpoint now :(
I was quite optimistic back in May and June that the way forward would clear up by mid-summer and I'd be in Cambodia or Vietnam by now. Now I'm considering a new 6-month lease in Bangkok (because Pattaya is like a post-war zone) that I suspect I will even have to extend. How's that for a complete failure of forecasting? I'd laugh but I forgot how.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:46 am
Jamie_Lambo wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 1:24 am the worlds fucked wish could just rewind back to 2019 and start this year again, when people said it would be years until things got back to normal, i thought they were sill, but im starting to see their viewpoint now :(
I was quite optimistic back in May and June that the way forward would clear up by mid-summer and I'd be in Cambodia or Vietnam by now. Now I'm considering a new 6-month lease in Bangkok (because Pattaya is like a post-war zone) that I suspect I will even have to extend. How's that for a complete failure of forecasting? I'd laugh but I forgot how.
Just how bad is Pattaya? Soi 6 closed? How many places have been shuttered around LK Metro area? Is Frasers still open?

It is had to imagine the place without tourists. Phnom Penh just carries on, only on Riverside and surrounding streets is there much evidence of economic problems.

Have many of the long term expats bailed out and gone back to their home countries until good times return?
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

ExPenhMan wrote: Tue Dec 01, 2020 9:46 am
Here in Phuket most of the west coast beach towns are dead, ( except for Rawai and Kamala)
Phuket town is just a normal low season

I love it, this time last year we would be 75% full of tourists, now lucky to be 5% and 90% of them are thai's
No traffic, no lines at the malls and the best
Thai's are once again back at the beach, enjoying the water with their kids, fishing, walking, picnicking.
Hasn't been like this since pre tsunami
The Thais, especially the ones here in Kamala, ( moslem) do not go to the beach if there a bunch of foreigners there.

I dont see it changing till the summer and thats wishful thinking
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I've actually decided to do the opposite, I've been spending MORE time in Pattaya lately because I like it as quiet as it is. Still naughty enough in my book.

Just for a change of scenery, really, it's not like we're missing out on anything here in Bangkok.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic