Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 1:28 pm Bus to Trat. Mini bus to Hat Lek.
and than taxi to pp
so about 10 + hours travelling
for a few $$ less
just go to airport 3 hours before

But up to you :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

I'm going to Kampot so not so bad from Koh Kong. There were several people around me in the immigration line that were also very close to missing their flights. I wonder how many people miss their flights a day because of the wait time? They have 8 immigration booths there but only use 6. Airline tried selling me another ticket to Phnom Penh for 6,600 baht. More than I originally paid for my round-trip ticket.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

You will always have people who turn up late at the airport for their flights, scoffing at the idea of arriving early. Most of the time, I'd imagine they manage to make it, but when there are delays, these people will be the ones who will miss their flights

Anybody arriving at the airport the recommended 3hrs before an international flight shouldn't have missed their flight, my airline Emirates advised to get to the airport 4hrs in advance 2 weeks ago

I generally arrive at BKK about 4hrs before my flight back to the UK anyway
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:27 pm Just tried flying from BKK back to PNH. Mile -long lines everywhere. Took over 2 hours to get through security and immigration. Missed my flight. No apologies or refunds from anyone. They couldn't have cared less. Last time I ever go through that airport again for any reason.
That is horrible.
I saw recently that AoT advised the worst times of day for wait times. Thwy were 1500-1600 for arrivals and 2300-0000 for departures. I'm guessing you were not in the 2300-0000 slot.

The road journey will be a little better now there is the new road. But I hear the big bus fron Koh Kong does not use it. The Larryta minibus does, I believe.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:30 pm You will always have people who turn up late at the airport for their flights, scoffing at the idea of arriving early. Most of the time, I'd imagine they manage to make it, but when there are delays, these people will be the ones who will miss their flights

Anybody arriving at the airport the recommended 3hrs before an international flight shouldn't have missed their flight, my airline Emirates advised to get to the airport 4hrs in advance 2 weeks ago

I generally aim for 90 minutes before and never missed a flight in several decades and hundreds of flights.
Since Covid, however, delays have got worse.
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:55 pm
Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 12:27 pm Just tried flying from BKK back to PNH. Mile -long lines everywhere. Took over 2 hours to get through security and immigration. Missed my flight. No apologies or refunds from anyone. They couldn't have cared less. Last time I ever go through that airport again for any reason.
That is horrible.
I saw recently that AoT advised the worst times of day for wait times. Thwy were 1500-1600 for arrivals and 2300-0000 for departures. I'm guessing you were not in the 2300-0000 slot.

The road journey will be a little better now there is the new road. But I hear the big bus fron Koh Kong does not use it. The Larryta minibus does, I believe.
This was a 10:30 am flight. They had to stop people coming down the escalators into the immigration area because it was completely packed. They could have opened up the additional 2 booths and decreased the wait time by 25% for everyone but I guess that didn't work for them.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:58 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 6:30 pm You will always have people who turn up late at the airport for their flights, scoffing at the idea of arriving early. Most of the time, I'd imagine they manage to make it, but when there are delays, these people will be the ones who will miss their flights

I generally aim for 90 minutes before and never missed a flight in several decades and hundreds of flights.

If you had turned up for my Emirates flight 2 weeks ago, just 90mins in advance, you would have missed the flight, same as you would have missed Cooldudes flight too

I prefer to turn up with plenty of time
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:10 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 7:55 pm
That is horrible.

This was a 10:30 am flight. They had to stop people coming down the escalators into the immigration area because it was completely packed..
They were doing the same 2 weeks ago when I flew home. Took me a hour from heading up to security, to getting through airside past Passport Control
Cooldude
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Cooldude »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 pm

If you had turned up for my Emirates flight 2 weeks ago, just 90mins in advance, you would have missed the flight, same as you would have missed Cooldudes flight too

I guess it comes down to this: When I have to turn up 4 hours early for less than an hours flight, I just stop using that airport until they get it sorted out.
cabron
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by cabron »

Cooldude wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:49 pm
jaynewcastle wrote: Sun Mar 05, 2023 9:43 pm

I guess it comes down to this: When I have to turn up 4 hours early for less than an hours flight, I just stop using that airport until they get it sorted out.
Right, just stay away from airports.
Boredom is like a shroud
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic