Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
ItWasntMe
Expatriate
Ethiopia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by ItWasntMe »

rogerrabbit wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:05 pm There was no vaccination requirement prior this Saturday. So unvaccinated people who had book their flights last month, flying on tonight, are now in trouble. Go and get a doctor for whole family with few hours notice on Sunday, maybe yeah? :D

Final kill for Thai tourism.
Indeed. I was supposed to go there in two weeks but just canceled everything today. Won't be considering Thailand again anytime soon that's for sure.
Money can't buy happiness but it can buy beer
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Kenr wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:07 pm
Doc67 wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 2:53 pm If you have been fully vaccinated you just show your card. What's the problem? I assumed I would have to show it anyway. Or am I missing something?

It sounds like they are trying to keep out hoards of Chinese who haven't been vaccinated.
What about when they turn around and require insurance? Got it already. What about when they start enforcing a mask policy? I will leave. What about when they implement a curfew? I will leave that day.

One of the reasons I retired in Cambodia rather than Thailand was because of their fluctuating policies and mandates. Love the place, but it’s too unpredictable.
I think people are over-reacting a bit, but that doesn't mean you are wrong. I was planning a weekend in BKK in a couple of weeks when my new visa comes back, so will keep my powder dry and see what develops. It might make the flights a bit cheaper!
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

curfew??
Masks? even now 99.9% of tourists dont wear them and many thai's
weed wont be sold anymore , yea right>

the box has been opened
People are coming ( they figure by end of this year tourism will be back to 70% of 2019)

If anything, Thailand follows the $$$, This new policy wont last long
...Indeed. I was supposed to go there in two weeks but just canceled everything today. Won't be considering Thailand again anytime soon that's for sure.
Why? if you have had ur 2 shots an have ur vac card... no problem, i dont expect any future "rules" concerning covid

I am more interested in when they will announce Princess Bajrakitiyabha has passed

FYI: flights are only 1,900 baht one way ( $55, thats for next week !!) i dont see them getting any cheaper :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Kenr
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Kenr »

LOL. I just stated that Thailand right now is unpredictable. There is always the possibility of them mandating something that tourist like myself don’t want to deal with, they definitely have earned a reputation for that. If that’s overreacting then maybe I am, but I don’t think I am. It is what it is, but they just turned me off for the 3-4 trips I was going to take there this year. Unfortunately no one can predict the future as to what the Thai government will do.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:45 pm curfew??

the box has been opened
People are coming ( they figure by end of this year tourism will be back to 70% of 2019)

...Indeed. I was supposed to go there in two weeks but just canceled everything today. Won't be considering Thailand again anytime soon that's for sure.
Why? if you have had ur 2 shots an have ur vac card... no problem, i dont expect any future "rules" concerning covid

I am more interested in when they will announce Princess Bajrakitiyabha has passed

FYI: flights are only 1,900 baht one way ( $55, thats for next week !!) i dont see them getting any cheaper :-)
Good point, that's going to cause more knee-jerk, inconsistently applied and fun-killing rules than Covid will.

What's the latest on her condition? Or was Andrew Marshall right and she is already de facto dead?
rogerrabbit
Expatriate

Post by rogerrabbit »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Jan 08, 2023 3:45 pm curfew??

the box has been opened

Why our group (11 people) cancelled our February Thailand trip?

Some of the people were coming from Europe and already got burned last year when Thailand made sudden changes to entry requirements. Now again sudden change, although might no be so restrictive changes yet. Anyways they don't want it to happen again. They are not coming to Thailand anytime soon.

Two in the group don't have vaccinations so they don't want to take the risk to take multiple PCR tests and decided to stay in Europe instead and spend the $10k there.

Last year they didn't care much about the tourist $$$ either when they made erratic changes every other week. I doubt they can achieve the 70% of 2019 thanks to this. Let's see end of the year.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

from andrew:
Prince Dipangkorn appears to be on his way back to Bavaria, for the new term at the special school he attends in Geretsried outside Munich, for children with developmental issues such as autism.

He made a couple of high-profile visits to Chulalongkorn Hospital during his brief visit to Bangkok, to visit his sister Princess Bajrakitiyabha who has tragically been brain dead since suffering a ruptured brain aneurysm on December 14.
he's clearly now the heir presumptive to the throne.

The fact he is going back to Germany suggests that the palace intends to keep Bajrakitiyabha artificially alive for quite a long time, instead of admitting the truth

as to when they will announce it<< ur guess is as good as anyone's>
after Songkran??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

told ya, the back tracking begins:

URGENT UPDATE AT 6:10 PM: Unvaccinated tourists can now fly to Thailand without being refused boarding due to a last minute update to the latest Notice to Airmen (Notam).
See Point 5 below for full details.
1. Passenger 18 years old or older must provide proof of full vaccination or proof of covid-19 recovery not more than 6 months (180 days) passenger who does not have vaccine must have a letter from doctor providing reason.
2. Passenger from country that has requirements which may prevent passenger to go back due to covid-19 shall be required to have health insurance covering at least usd $10,000 of treatment of covid-19 for the itineraries in Thailand plus 7 days. Those with business arrangement, including flight crew, student, may have a letter from the host or other form of insurance to cover such need.
3. Holder of official and diplomat passport, United Nations Laissez-passer are exempted health insurance requirements.
4. Holder of Thai passport and transit/transfer passengers are exempted from vaccination check and health insurance requirements.
5. The airlines must check the documents as required. If passenger fails to produce document proving these requirements are met, the passenger is subjected to be tested at the port of arrival.
6. The airlines must adhere to related regulation and comply with the guidance as appropriate such as asking passenger to wear mask at all time except during meal or emergency situation.
7. Any passenger having symptoms of covid-19 during travel shall be recommended to test at arrival.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

concerning princess
Andrew MacGregor Marshall
@zenjournalist
·
4h
⚠️ The palace has released a third health update on Princess Bajrakitiyabha, confirming she has never regained consciousness and weirdly attributing this to acute heart arrhythmia due to inflammation after mycoplasma infection. Fails to admit she had a brain aneurysm.\

How long is the monarchy going to last?

ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

:facepalm: So you think Thailand has wrecked planning/arrivals already. What is the likelihood of them torching more air tickets for arrivals after Jan. 31 with this little gem? See the last 8 words. From Bangkok Post last night.
The aviation regulator has formally notified all parties about the change to arrival rules for international travellers aged 18 and over. They will take effect for flights landing in Thailand from 1am local time on Monday and will remain in effect at least until the end of the month.
Not even amateurs.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic