Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by crob »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 1:19 pm
crob wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:36 pm after 3 weeks of travelling Thailand all i can say is it feel the same as pre-covid, except, a few escaping Russians and no Chinese.

highlights - driving Mae Hong Son Loop(wish i gave my self a few extra days) and learning to scuba dive(holy fuck i think I've found a new addiction).

Lowlight - being piss drunk n talking a bite out of hash brownie i was planning to eat by the pool the next day, waking up a few hours later both drunk n stoned was fucked... and suit sales men, fuck i hate suit sales men.
And why are all the shirts they wear so shit?

Fat drunk westerners in vests, shorts and flip-flops, all in +30c / 70% humidity, does not strike me as a good source of customers for a 3-piece suit.
Bingo, in my head, I'm like 'look at me, do I look like a suit person', try be polite, simple say Mị̀, then the cunt ask do you know what that means, so close to saying, yeah it means fuck off, but I'm to polite... Something about someone trying to sell me something whilst dressed in a suit makes instantly uncomfortable.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

just learned today that for over 50s its allowed to travel from uk to bkk at least, on a one way ticket.

the reasoning being its so easy to convert a 45 day on arrival visa into a retirement visa.. apparently.

sorry if this is old news.
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

grumpygit wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:57 pm just learned today that for over 50s its allowed to travel from uk to bkk at least, on a one way ticket.

the reasoning being its so easy to convert a 45 day on arrival visa into a retirement visa.. apparently.

is this word of mouth or is there an official statement?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 9:41 pm
grumpygit wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 8:57 pm just learned today that for over 50s its allowed to travel from uk to bkk at least, on a one way ticket.

is this word of mouth or is there an official statement?
its from a youtube interview with a pattaya visa agent that was posted sometime yesterday.

the agent is a man mountain from England Darren i think
the youtuber goes by daz or darren also. he tends to avoid his face being on camera but he has a very distinctive voice that can only be discribed as the child catcher off chitty chitty bang bang.

if you cant find it ill post it up once im home Jamie
Please don't confuse my personality with my attitude. The former is me, the latter a reflection of you.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

While it's true, in practice, that a visa exempt entry can be converted to a non-immigrant visa in country if you qualify, there's no official rule that exempts you from having an outbound flight if you plan to do so.

The reason being that it isn't airport immigration's job to assess if you do, in fact, qualify for such a conversion.

Anyway, immigration rarely asks, it's more likely your airline. As there's no such rule you could slap them with, if and when they do ask, you probably need to buy an outbound ticket or sign an indemnity form, at their discretion.
grumpygit
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by grumpygit »

Alex wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:14 pm

While it's true, in practice, that a visa exempt entry can be converted to a non-immigrant visa in country if you qualify, there's no official rule that exempts you from having an outbound flight if you plan to do so.

The reason being that it isn't airport immigration's job to assess if you do, in fact, qualify for such a conversion.

Anyway, immigration rarely asks, it's more likely your airline. As there's no such rule you could slap them with, if and when they do ask, you probably need to buy an outbound ticket or sign an indemnity form, at their discretion.
I actually had some issues with this a few years back. i was going Manchester uk to Phenom Pehn but my return ticket was HMC Vietnam back to Manchester. i got pulled out just before boarding the plane. and asked to explain myself by the gate crew.. they seemed a bit sceptical that it was an easy matter to catch a bus from PP to HMC and then my plane home. I didn't have to sign anything and in the end they just fobbed it off as one of the girls being new and a bit keen.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

grumpygit wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:35 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Nov 17, 2022 11:14 pm

I actually had some issues with this a few years back. i was going Manchester uk to Phenom Pehn but my return ticket was HMC Vietnam back to Manchester. i got pulled out just before boarding the plane. and asked to explain myself by the gate crew.. they seemed a bit sceptical that it was an easy matter to catch a bus from PP to HMC and then my plane home. I didn't have to sign anything and in the end they just fobbed it off as one of the girls being new and a bit keen.

Sounds like you didn't have the correct documentation to satisfy visa/entry requirements to fly to Thailand to be honest.

Not the airlines fault, its the passengers responsibility, sounds like you got lucky
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Not necessarily true
Depends on the airline ur flying with . Many check
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Nov 18, 2022 7:01 am

Not necessarily true
Depends on the airline ur flying with . Many check
yeah and they tend to be a lot more on the ball/stricter with it these days
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic