Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Bluenose
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Bluenose »

Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 2:00 am
truffledog wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:57 am
Kenr wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:32 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:15 am Posted on social media tonight.
Welcome to Thailand !
Khaosod English
Arrival passengers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport today. Could the airport authority & immigration police try doubly hard to make them feel more welcome?
Visiting Thailand should be a hassle free experience.
Welcome to Thailand anyhow!
Fuck that. I’ll be waiting to go until low season.
I will be considering entering in a smaller INTERNATIONAL airport on my next visit if this situation persists.

I am sure we will soon see some express immigration paygates where procedures are faster. Time is money.
I actually looked at DMK, but the only airline out of Phnom Penh that I could find was Thai AirAsia, which I don’t think I would ever fly.
I have flown Thai Air Asia several times to DMK, most recently about 3 weeks ago. Never had any issues with the airline, and I was out of the front of the airport about 10 minutes after stepping off the plane, there was a row of staffed immigration desks with no queues at all.
kagi
Expatriate
Switzerland

Post by kagi »

Jamie_Lambo wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 12:20 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 7:47 am
CEOCambodiaNews wrote: Fri Nov 11, 2022 1:15 am Posted on social media tonight.
Welcome to Thailand !
Khaosod English
Arrival passengers at Suvarnabhumi International Airport today. Could the airport authority & immigration police try doubly hard to make them feel more welcome?
Visiting Thailand should be a hassle free experience.
Welcome to Thailand anyhow!
I've always wondered when I see this scenario or when I've experienced it myself when arriving whether it is down to either :

A) Total incompetence by AOT & Dept of Immigration - they know the daily schedules and likely arrival numbers so have no excuses to plan accordingly, god knowns they've been at it long enough.
B) Some perverse idea that creating a situation showing queues of people eager to get in the country will give the impression that Thailand is mega popular and booming for tourism again.
OR
C) Total disregard and disdain for their mainly foreign paying customers and customer service, a case of wait your turn you're privileged to be even allowed into our country.

Whichever it is, for a country desperate to get tourists back and project a positive tourism message it's a classic example of failing at the first hurdle, and predictably shows some things will never change when incompetent authorities are in charge. Really they should make the PM, Minister of Tourism, Heads of AOT and Immigration join the back of that queue and get a feel for the welcome Thailand is giving new arrivals after so long and judge whether they think it's acceptable in this day and age.

Sorry for the rant but I've experienced that shit before and it's horrendous when you're coming off a long-haul flight knackered.
seen loads of people online disputing this picture, all people who arrived this week saying the airport was dead and they breezed through in only 20minutes with only 2 desks open
There are two of these fairly close together.
People just don't go and look but one often has few people while one is like this
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:41 am i would imagine Nov will see another increase>

More than 3.1 million foreign tourists arrived in Thailand in October, an increase of 43.55% over September,

Arrivals by air accounted for 96.36% of all arrivals. 2.2 million (75%) arrived at Suvarnabhumi international airport, followed by 400,000 at Don Mueang Airport.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/tourist-ar ... n-october/
According to the article that I copied in full on the Vietnam visa thread, Thailand, one of the first countries in Southeast Asia to reopen its tourism industry, (in 2022) is likely to see a 75% decrease over 2019.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 12, 2022 10:15 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:41 am i would imagine Nov will see another increase>

More than 3.1 million foreign tourists arrived in Thailand in October, an increase of 43.55% over September,

Arrivals by air accounted for 96.36% of all arrivals. 2.2 million (75%) arrived at Suvarnabhumi international airport, followed by 400,000 at Don Mueang Airport.

According to the article that I copied in full on the Vietnam visa thread, Thailand, one of the first countries in Southeast Asia to reopen its tourism industry, (in 2022) is likely to see a 75% decrease over 2019.
Let us compare with 2021.

2019 is history and irrelevant everyone will get the same result
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

yong wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:47 pm

ARRIVALS ( not necessarily tourists)
2019 saw nearly 40 million
2021 maybe 1 million
2022 possibly 10-11 million
so even 75% decrease is still alot of arrivals :-)
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

yong wrote: Sun Nov 13, 2022 9:47 pm

Ha, irrelevent to you maybe but tell that to the banks that lent to tourist developers on the back of 2019 numbers, or the businesses that took out 5 year leases on the back of the same numbers etc etc.
And, no, it's not the same everywhere. The Dominican Republic is now down only 5% compared to 2019.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 7:04 am

ARRIVALS ( not necessarily tourists)
2019 saw nearly 40 million
2021 maybe 1 million
2022 possibly 10-11 million
so even 75% decrease is still alot of arrivals :-)
Yes it is a big number and the rate of change is positive. And Thailand (like Cambodia) has been very good at lifting Covid restrictions in 2022.
And you can make a case that as a big contributor to the fall in numbers since 2019 has been the Chinese sector, this can be largely discounted when looking at the general tourist market due to their zero dollar business model. Of course it has had a corresponingly massive impact on the specific hotels and companies devoted to that sector.
And I love the way that Thailand has invested well in infrastructure during the quiet times. You can see the effects in Bangkok, Pattaya and Samui - new roads, railways, etc. That will be a major plus later on when things eventually get back to 2019 levels.

OTOH, there is a tightening squeeze on consumer spending in all of the major tourist markets, Europe and the USA. Air fares have gone up a lot, and there is no indication that there will be a change in Chinese policy affecting tourism. Even the Thai baht is reversing its helpful fall.
crob
Expatriate
Australia

Post by crob »

after 3 weeks of travelling Thailand all i can say is it feel the same as pre-covid, except, a few escaping Russians and no Chinese.

highlights - driving Mae Hong Son Loop(wish i gave my self a few extra days) and learning to scuba dive(holy fuck i think I've found a new addiction).

Lowlight - being piss drunk n talking a bite out of hash brownie i was planning to eat by the pool the next day, waking up a few hours later both drunk n stoned was fucked... and suit sales men, fuck i hate suit sales men.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

crob wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:36 pm after 3 weeks of travelling Thailand all i can say is it feel the same as pre-covid, except, a few escaping Russians and no Chinese.

highlights - driving Mae Hong Son Loop(wish i gave my self a few extra days) and learning to scuba dive(holy fuck i think I've found a new addiction).

Lowlight - being piss drunk n talking a bite out of hash brownie i was planning to eat by the pool the next day, waking up a few hours later both drunk n stoned was fucked... and suit sales men, fuck i hate suit sales men.
:plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

crob wrote: Wed Nov 16, 2022 2:36 pm after 3 weeks of travelling Thailand all i can say is it feel the same as pre-covid, except, a few escaping Russians and no Chinese.

And why are all the shirts they wear so shit?

Fat drunk westerners in vests, shorts and flip-flops, all in +30c / 70% humidity, does not strike me as a good source of customers for a 3-piece suit.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic