Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

If confirmed that's a really good July result to date and suggests a monthly figure of around 1.2 million up from 812k, that equates to 36% of the same month in 2019 up from 26% in June. Given the monthly increases to date and looking at the recovery rate relative to the Aug-Dec 2019 figures I still think at least 9 million is achievable this year.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Direct daily flights between Bangkok and Siem Reap, the Cambodian tourism mecca and home to the world’s largest religious complex Angkor Wat, will launch again on August 1. Flights to the former capital of former Burma, Yangon (nee Rangoon) will also resume on August 1 despite the humanitarian crisis in Myanmar since the military junta overthrew the government last February.

Bangkok Airways will then resume flight service to the former French colonial port of Da Nang, a coastal beach destination in central Vietnam. Direct flights will start again on September 1.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

I think the arrival numbers as such aren't really a good indicator for tourism recovery in particular.

I've visited Cambodia twice within the last two months, simply because it's so simple now. So upon my return to Thailand, I've been counted as "two tourists" from my country already, although I live here in Thailand. And I'll go again next month, as well as to a number of other countries. Many other expats are now traveling a lot more again, too.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Alex wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:53 pm I think the arrival numbers as such aren't really a good indicator for tourism recovery in particular.

I've visited Cambodia twice within the last two months, simply because it's so simple now. So upon my return to Thailand, I've been counted as "two tourists" from my country already, although I live here in Thailand. And I'll go again next month, as well as to a number of other countries. Many other expats are now traveling a lot more again, too.
I don't know the answer to this but do you know for sure that you are recorded in the system as a tourist given you are not on a tourist visa and are coming in on a re-entry permit ? I don't know what the immigration officer types into his screen but I would have thought it would be an easy exercise to get the visa classification correct. If they were recording every foreign arrival as a tourist surely it would result in ridiculous and false levels of tourist numbers from Myannmar, Cambodia and Laos. There is zero benefit to Thailand inaccurately recording its arrivals.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:08 pm
Alex wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:53 pm I think the arrival numbers as such aren't really a good indicator for tourism recovery in particular.

I don't know the answer to this but do you know for sure that you are recorded in the system as a tourist given you are not on a tourist visa and are coming in on a re-entry permit ? I don't know what the immigration officer types into his screen but I would have thought it would be an easy exercise to get the visa classification correct. If they were recording every foreign arrival as a tourist surely it would result in ridiculous and false levels of tourist numbers from Myannmar, Cambodia and Laos. There is zero benefit to Thailand inaccurately recording its arrivals.
I was referring to their raw arrivals numbers by nationality. Sure, they could break that down by visa type, but I've never seen that published.
CaptainCanuck
Expatriate
Canada

Post by CaptainCanuck »

I flew Bangkok to SR last week .... Air Asia has offered it for awhile .....

phuketrichard wrote: Thu Jul 28, 2022 3:28 pm Direct daily flights between Bangkok and Siem Reap, the Cambodian tourism mecca and home to the world’s largest religious complex Angkor Wat, will launch again on August 1. Flights to the former capital of former Burma, Yangon (nee Rangoon) will also resume on August 1 despite the humanitarian crisis in Myanmar since the military junta overthrew the government last February.

Bangkok Airways will then resume flight service to the former French colonial port of Da Nang, a coastal beach destination in central Vietnam. Direct flights will start again on September 1.
Kammekor
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Kammekor »

Wouldn't they have counted u the same way pre- COVID?

If yes, this is a non issue I guess.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

Arrival figures have always counted everybody arriving ?

Didn't ex-pats in Thailand travel abroad before Covid happened ?
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Is Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza fully open again?

Anything like pre 2019 or am I dreaming?

Also, Patong in Phuket, is that up and running again or still a ghost town?
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:32 am Is Soi Cowboy and Nana Plaza fully open again?

Anything like pre 2019 or am I dreaming?

Also, Patong in Phuket, is that up and running again or still a ghost town?
Can't answer any of that but just a note of thanks for raising your passport renewal query on another thread. It prompted a reply on timings from PSDKiwi that got me thinking/investigating the situation re visa and passport renewal in Thailand. I now have an appointment with VFS in Bangkok on Wednesday to submit my application, I would have faced a nasty surprise had I waited until after my visa renewal in May as I had previously intended. :thumb:
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic