Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

International tourist arrivals to Thailand 2022, April figures added.

Jan - 133,903
Feb - 152,954
Mar - 210,836
Apr - 306,198

With the easing of travel requirements from May 1st the first 3 days arrivals suggest around the 500k mark for this month.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

From the Bangkok Post today,

As of May 3, Thailand had welcomed 853,165 tourists, of which 74,414 came from the UK, followed by Germany (63,342), Russia (55,995), India (51,783) and the US (49,792).

Presumably these are figures starting Jan 1. Interesting to see India numbers pick up. Russia will have collapsed of course.

Mr Yuthasak said prospects for the long-haul market in the off-peak season are quite positive, raising hopes the country could log 500,000 tourist arrivals this month.

Airlies may not share this optimism as the weather in the cold countries improves. Scoot, which started a new flight from Gatwick to Bangkok this year, have discontinued it as of 1 June.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The Chong Chom/O'Smach checkpoint on the border with Cambodia reopened on Friday,

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... o-cambodia
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 5:49 pm The Chong Chom/O'Smach checkpoint on the border with Cambodia reopened on Friday,

https://www.bangkokpost.com/thailand/ge ... o-cambodia
:thumb: :thumb:
my favorite crossing
A checkpoint on the border between Thailand and Cambodia reopened today in the northeastern province of Surin. A line of cars began crossing the border this morning, and the crossing is now open to Thais and foreigners every day from 6am-10pm. This news comes on the same day as three Thailand – Malaysia border crossings have also reopened.

Last week, a spokesperson for Thailand’s CCSA said the deparment agreed to reopen 31 land border checkpoints in 17 provinces on May 1, including Loei, Nakhon Phanom, Nong Khai, Mukdahan, Bueng Kan, Sisaket, Surin, Sa Kaeo, Chantaburi, Trat, Tak, Kanchanaburi, Ranong, Song Khla, Narathiwat, Yala, and Satun provinces.
https://thethaiger.com/travel/tourism-t ... eVxjE_BKAo
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

The analysts at JP Morgan are not buying the tourism recovery story.

JP Morgan downgrades Thailand on fading tourism recovery

https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/23 ... m-recovery
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Multiple coups and attempted coups, sars, murders in Koh Tao, the collapse of the baht in 97, moslem men suffocated in the south, the tsunami of 2004
Each and every one , Thailand made a comeback. Might not be in 2022/ 2023, but it will take place
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

good news for locals
To enter Thailand by land, vaccinated Thai citizens and travellers from neighboring countries, including Laos, Cambodia, Myanmar, and Malaysia, can enter without the need to submit Covid-19 tests or insurance.

Foreigners who desire to enter the country by land are still required to register via Thailand Pass prior to entry and purchase insurance that covers at least $10,000.
https://www.khmertimeskh.com/501070783/ ... X3lHIXlH84
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:20 pm From the Bangkok Post today,

As of May 3, Thailand had welcomed 853,165 tourists, of which 74,414 came from the UK, followed by Germany (63,342), Russia (55,995), India (51,783) and the US (49,792).

Presumably these are figures starting Jan 1. Interesting to see India numbers pick up. Russia will have collapsed of course.

Mr Yuthasak said prospects for the long-haul market in the off-peak season are quite positive, raising hopes the country could log 500,000 tourist arrivals this month.

Airlies may not share this optimism as the weather in the cold countries improves. Scoot, which started a new flight from Gatwick to Bangkok this year, have discontinued it as of 1 June.
I wondered how long that Scoot service would last, I was thinking about using it myself one way back to the UK to utilise an outstanding Thai Airways return. Air Asia tried a similar budget experiment from KL to Stansted years ago which I flew once, it only lasted a few months as well.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:12 am

I wondered how long that Scoot service would last, I was thinking about using it myself one way back to the UK to utilise an outstanding Thai Airways return. Air Asia tried a similar budget experiment from KL to Stansted years ago which I flew once, it only lasted a few months as well.
I am surprised that a Stansted to BKK or KL or SIN service hasn't caught on. There are lots of people north and east of London including all of Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk and Hertfordshire that would want to use Stansted instead of having to get to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Try living in Norwich and getting to either Heathrow, Gatwick or Birmingham! You'd be better of flying from Norwich to Amsterdam and using KLM to get anywhere.
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

Doc67 wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 11:22 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 10:12 am

I am surprised that a Stansted to BKK or KL or SIN service hasn't caught on. There are lots of people north and east of London including all of Essex, Norfolk, Suffolk and Hertfordshire that would want to use Stansted instead of having to get to Heathrow or Gatwick.

Try living in Norwich and getting to either Heathrow, Gatwick or Birmingham! You'd be better of flying from Norwich to Amsterdam and using KLM to get anywhere.
Tell me about it, I live in Newmarket when I'm in the UK and workwise for 15 years I was a KLM frequent flyer Lagos, Entebbe, Amsterdam, Stansted and Bangkok. Then KLM decided to pull their Stansted service, absolutely gutted as it was so convenient. Now it's a 3 hour National Express from Heathrow, killer after a Bangkok flight. Stansted these days seems to be totally geared towards European budget airline city breaks/commutes or holiday airline charters.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic