Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Doc67 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:45 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:08 pm Well that was short-lived, but I'm not surprised. To me it just confirms that you cannot make any plans, as things can and do change quite literally over night.
Yes, indeed. A pile of people in my condo just flew out to the UK, US, France and elsewhere the last few days for the holiday period, some of them teachers due to return early January. They're screwed If the gov extends the suspension period, which I think is a given.

Oops, it just hit me, as I write this in Pattaya, where I am for a week. What if Bangkok or Chonburi locks down? :facepalm:
A Christsmas sesh in the Buakhow/Lk Metro area ?
PM sent.
What's happening in Buakhow/LK these days? How about Soi 6?

Sit Rep please gentlemen... (pictures optional :good: )
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Fri Dec 31, 2021 12:47 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 9:45 am
Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Thu Dec 23, 2021 12:14 am
ExPenhMan wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 3:34 pm
Alex wrote: Wed Dec 22, 2021 12:08 pm Well that was short-lived, but I'm not surprised. To me it just confirms that you cannot make any plans, as things can and do change quite literally over night.
Yes, indeed. A pile of people in my condo just flew out to the UK, US, France and elsewhere the last few days for the holiday period, some of them teachers due to return early January. They're screwed If the gov extends the suspension period, which I think is a given.

Oops, it just hit me, as I write this in Pattaya, where I am for a week. What if Bangkok or Chonburi locks down? :facepalm:
A Christsmas sesh in the Buakhow/Lk Metro area ?
PM sent.
What's happening in Buakhow/LK these days? How about Soi 6?

Sit Rep please gentlemen... (pictures optional :good: )
PM sent, mate.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Soi 6 at least isn't completely dead anymore, but still, not nearly as lively as other areas.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

YEP, high season that never was. even thou hospitalizations and deaths are down worldwide, Omicorn is fucking with the travel industry reopening.
The Ministry of Public Health will recommend that the reopening of the Test & Go quarantine-free travel scheme be postponed until the end of January amid reports of 229 new Omicron COVID-19 cases.
According to Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the Department of Medical Sciences has recorded 229 new Omicron cases, bringing the total to 1,780. Most cases were discovered in Bangkok, Kalasin, Roi Et, Chon Buri and Phuket.

As the Omicron coronavirus variant rapidly spreads throughout the globe, the Ministry of Public Health will propose that the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) consider postponing the reopening of the Test & Go scheme from its original January 4 date to the end of January.
The proposal will be presented to the CCSA at a meeting attended by the permanent secretary to the Ministry of Public Health, the director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC) and medical professionals.

Travelers who have already registered with the scheme must arrive in Thailand by January 10. Visitors arriving after the deadline will be required to enter through the Phuket Sandbox program or Alternative Quarantine (AQ) services.
i wonder how long it will be before Cambodia ends its quarantine free arrivals? even with 89% vaccinated , does not mean you can't catch the virus> BUT as testing is out the door, who would know?

One of best friends from Ca recently travelled to Kenya to visit his son working there, all vacce'd up with booster yet 10 days into his trip, tested positive. Now he has had 2 other positive test, isolated in a hotel which means he could not make his dec 28th departure back to ca> completely fucked his new years as he waits for a negative test

what he needs to return home:
All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.
who would choose to travel nowadays ??
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

phuketrichard wrote: Mon Jan 03, 2022 2:18 pm YEP, high season that never was. even thou hospitalizations and deaths are down worldwide, Omicorn is fucking with the travel industry reopening.
The Ministry of Public Health will recommend that the reopening of the Test & Go quarantine-free travel scheme be postponed until the end of January amid reports of 229 new Omicron COVID-19 cases.
According to Deputy Prime Minister and Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul, the Department of Medical Sciences has recorded 229 new Omicron cases, bringing the total to 1,780. Most cases were discovered in Bangkok, Kalasin, Roi Et, Chon Buri and Phuket.

As the Omicron coronavirus variant rapidly spreads throughout the globe, the Ministry of Public Health will propose that the Center for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) consider postponing the reopening of the Test & Go scheme from its original January 4 date to the end of January.
The proposal will be presented to the CCSA at a meeting attended by the permanent secretary to the Ministry of Public Health, the director-general of the Department of Disease Control (DDC) and medical professionals.

Travelers who have already registered with the scheme must arrive in Thailand by January 10. Visitors arriving after the deadline will be required to enter through the Phuket Sandbox program or Alternative Quarantine (AQ) services.
i wonder how long it will be before Cambodia ends its quarantine free arrivals? even with 89% vaccinated , does not mean you can't catch the virus> BUT as testing is out the door, who would know?

One of best friends from Ca recently travelled to Kenya to visit his son working there, all vacce'd up with booster yet 10 days into his trip, tested positive. Now he has had 2 other positive test, isolated in a hotel which means he could not make his dec 28th departure back to ca> completely fucked his new years as he waits for a negative test

what he needs to return home:
All air passengers 2 years or older with a flight departing to the US from a foreign country at or after 12:01am EST (5:01am GMT) on December 6, 2021, are required show a negative COVID-19 viral test result taken no more than 1 day before travel, or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 in the past 90 days, before they board their flight.
who would choose to travel nowadays ??
If you must travel, then you must travel. But for pleasure it is too risky at the moment. Especially if you are coming from a high caseload country into somewhere like here or Thailand who will put you in quarantine at great expense, despite the virus already being endemic in both countries.

Far better to sit tight for another couple of months and let this thing burn itself out. It's already happening in South Africa.

As for Cambodia, I think they will do nothing. Their 'Three Wise Monkeys' approach to pandemic control is working just fine.
Doc67
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Doc67 »

I have a mate who is in BKK and is coming to PP for a week. He will then return to London via BKK.

He says he does not have a Thai insurance policy, only an AXA one that got him his Thai Pass. He arrived in Thailand on 16th December.

Is there any reason his insurance will not be accepted for his transit through BKK on his way back to London on 17th January?
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Doc67 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:08 am I have a mate who is in BKK and is coming to PP for a week. He will then return to London via BKK.

He says he does not have a Thai insurance policy, only an AXA one that got him his Thai Pass. He arrived in Thailand on 16th December.

Is there any reason his insurance will not be accepted for his transit through BKK on his way back to London on 17th January?
Leaving aside the potential for imminent amendments to the Thai Pass system (big meeting Friday), your friend might face the same thing I faced: By leaving Thailand (for Cambodia), one's current insurance policy expires with immediate effect. But he'd have to check the contract wording to see if it's true and email them to confirm.

Which means to pass through BKK again, he'd have to buy a short policy to cover possible COVID quarantine/treatment, even though he's transiting. I don't think there's any exemptions for transits.

More to the point, Thailand Pass is suspended and only those with current, valid passes can arrive up to Jan. 10 (possible change to this date tomorrow, mooted to be Jan. 15). So if he hasn't got a Thai Pass already and insurance (mandatory), I can't see how he can transit BKK on Jan. 17. He might be refused boarding in Phnom Penh.

However, if he has a single ticket for PP-BKK and BKK to UK, it just might work. But really I'm just flipping a coin. Sorry.

This site purports to have the latest Thailand protocols. At the site, click Thailand on the map, which gives you the summary of Thai requirements. Click on READ MORE. Search for Transit. Still need insurance.

I really would not want to do this route: BKK-PNH-BKK-LHR.

https://infopages.traveldoc.aero/Inform ... oronavirus
Kigna
BANNED
St Lucia

Post by Kigna »

but what are you saying? if i am in transit in bangkok why do i have to go to phnom penh by plane, why should i pay thai insurance?
MG3
Expatriate

Post by MG3 »

Kigna wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:38 pm but what are you saying? if i am in transit in bangkok why do i have to go to phnom penh by plane, why should i pay thai insurance?
Thailand requires transit folks to have insurance. I'm not sure it has to be Thai insurance.
MG3
Expatriate

Post by MG3 »

ExPenhMan wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:48 pm
More to the point, Thailand Pass is suspended and only those with current, valid passes can arrive up to Jan. 10 (possible change to this date tomorrow, mooted to be Jan. 15). So if he hasn't got a Thai Pass already and insurance (mandatory), I can't see how he can transit BKK on Jan. 17. He might be refused boarding in Phnom Penh.

I don't think a thailand pass is required for transit if on a single ticket.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic