Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by jaynewcastle »

armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:02 am The best quote I can get for a one night TestandGo stay in Bangkok for 3 adults and a baby is 16,400 THB.

There are around 15 Bangkok Test & Go hotels on the list under 4000bt a night, the cheapest on the list is 3500bt, so 3 rooms = 10500bt, I doubt a baby would add much extra to the overall bill

2 adults in 1 room, and a 2nd room for other adult & baby would bring the cost down even further

My Bangkok hotel for Test & Go is 3900bt
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

jaynewcastle wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 9:36 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 11:02 am The best quote I can get for a one night TestandGo stay in Bangkok for 3 adults and a baby is 16,400 THB.
There are around 15 Bangkok Test & Go hotels on the list under 4000bt a night, the cheapest on the list is 3500bt, so 3 rooms = 10500bt, I doubt a baby would add much extra to the overall bill

2 adults in 1 room, and a 2nd room for other adult & baby would bring the cost down even further

Helpful, thanks.
I did find that when you make a booking (which has to be done with the hotel direcrly in most cases), the price was always higher than stated on the list that I saw.
Can you link to your list?
I'll probably wait for the new scheme starting on Dec 16 but I don't expect prices to come down a lot, even though no night stay is required and the test is the cheaper type.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Nov 26, 2021 8:04 pm
Outrageous pricing when there are so many good deals if you're free to book in regular hotels. I stayed 5 nights in Bangkok last week in what I consider a really nice hotel for 2,800 total with a decent buffet breakfast for an extra 100 baht a day. Pretty busy but the clientele seemed to be primarily youngish Thai 20 somethings.
It's interesting that the Cambodian authorities were decisive enough to cut the hotel's quarantine gravy train down to 7 days then quickly down to zero.
In Thailand, it's happening more gradually.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

list of 50 : https://www.thaiembassy.com/travel-to-t ... ree-hotels
still best wait, if u can , til after dec 16th and than u just need book the transport and test
by than they might even wake up and test at the airport.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

wow. if ur in Laos>
but where do u get tested when u arrive in Nong Khai?
Lots still to be worked out
The Centre for COVID-19 Situation Administration (CCSA) decided today (Friday) to allow travellers to enter Thailand by sea and land, in addition to current access by air. The north-eastern province of Nong Khai, bordering the Lao PDR, will be the first overland entry point to reopen on December 24th, according to CCSA spokesman Dr. Taweesin Visanuyothin.
https://www.thaipbsworld.com/travellers ... mber-24th/
According to the CCSA, 104,065 foreign and Thai travellers entered Thailand between November 1st and 25th under the “Test and Go”, “sandbox” and quarantine programs. Of these, 135 or 0.13% were found to be infected with COVID-19.
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Insurance. You can start yawning now. LOL.

Found out yesterday, after reading the 6-month contract, my re-entry insurance for Thailand is a trip-based insurance. Nowhere did I see that on the government site listing Thai companies offering coverage, with some attached summaries.

My concern was triggered by a post on ASEAN Now, a guy noting the possibility of losing his insurance if he carries out a planned multi-trip scenario from Bangkok and outbound. That's when I thought I'd better look at my insurance contract with Tune Protect: coverage of 3.5 million baht/US$100,000.

If I leave Thailand early -- say, to do a shorty to Cambodia -- the insurance expires automatically, even though my policy runs from early November to early May 2022 (18,000 baht for 180 days). I got an email confirmation from the insurer pointing this out. I could wave bye bye to more than 9000 baht (about 3000 baht/month) for the last three months' coverage, plus having to spend an equal amount in a new policy to cover the rest of my time back in Thailand after a Cambodia trip. Insurance is mandatory under the Thailand Pass system.

Now I really regret not buying insurance while I was in Canada. However, at the time of filling out the Certificate of Entry (this was before TP), none of us in October were sure we could use an overseas policy. Now you can in the TP system.

Conclusion: what a ripoff. And looks like there will be no trip to Phnom Penh in early '22.
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:43 pm Insurance. You can start yawning now. LOL.

Found out yesterday, after reading the 6-month contract, my re-entry insurance for Thailand is a trip-based insurance. Nowhere did I see that on the government site listing Thai companies offering coverage, with some attached summaries.

My concern was triggered by a post on ASEAN Now, a guy noting the possibility of losing his insurance if he carries out a planned multi-trip scenario from Bangkok and outbound. That's when I thought I'd better look at my insurance contract with Tune Protect: coverage of 3.5 million baht/US$100,000.

If I leave Thailand early -- say, to do a shorty to Cambodia -- the insurance expires automatically, even though my policy runs from early November to early May 2022 (18,000 baht for 180 days). I got an email confirmation from the insurer pointing this out. I could wave bye bye to more than 9000 baht (about 3000 baht/month) for the last three months' coverage, plus having to spend an equal amount in a new policy to cover the rest of my time back in Thailand after a Cambodia trip. Insurance is mandatory under the Thailand Pass system.

Now I really regret not buying insurance while I was in Canada. However, at the time of filling out the Certificate of Entry (this was before TP), none of us in October were sure we could use an overseas policy. Now you can in the TP system.

Conclusion: what a ripoff. And looks like there will be no trip to Phnom Penh in early '22.
That's a nasty exclusion they've got there, not common in travel insurance. Did you mention the insurer is a Thai company? :shock:
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 1:07 pm
ExPenhMan wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 12:43 pm Insurance. You can start yawning now. LOL.

That's a nasty exclusion they've got there, not common in travel insurance. Did you mention the insurer is a Thai company? :shock:
Yes, a Thai company, a proud member of the Thai Insurance Scam Association. Here's the contract language:
2.3 Period of Insurance
As for an insuring period or a travelling period in this Policy, the insured person is covered only by the beginning and the end as part of an insurance period as described below:
2.3.1 Single Trip Coverage
For an inbound trip into Thailand, the coverage period under this Policy shall commence at the arrival in Thailand by the insured person and continue to either the departure from Thailand by the insured person, or the end of the insuring period, whichever is earlier (unless otherwise stated in this Policy). The case shall be confirmed by all complete registration steps at an immigration checkpoint.
jaynewcastle
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by jaynewcastle »

armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:21 am

Helpful, thanks.
I did find that when you make a booking (which has to be done with the hotel direcrly in most cases), the price was always higher than stated on the list that I saw.
I'll probably wait for the new scheme starting on Dec 16 but I don't expect prices to come down a lot, even though no night stay is required and the test is the cheaper type.
This is the list of Test & Go hotels. As it appears this is all going to be scrapped in mid-December now & just a test only upon arrival required, I wouldn't book immediately, unless you are travelling before the 16 December & the change in rules

https://asq.in.th/
armchairlawyer
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by armchairlawyer »

jaynewcastle wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 2:05 pm
armchairlawyer wrote: Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:21 am

Helpful, thanks.
This is the list of Test & Go hotels. As it appears this is all going to be scrapped in mid-December now & just a test only upon arrival required, I wouldn't book immediately, unless you are travelling before the 16 December & the change in rules

https://asq.in.th/
Thanks again, I hadn't seen that list.
Waiting to see how much the ride and test packages will cost after the 16th.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic