Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Hot off the press, looks like more closures in Thailand again
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

A relevant opinion piece from the Bangkok Post on Thailand's vaccine approach.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... e-strategy

At the time I thought the monopolising of a deal likely to involve huge state funds which by the nature of ownership will be protected from questions of transparency went against the national interest. I think it's clear even at this stage that unless something changes, which seems highly unlikely, there is going to be a massive negative impact on the recovery of Thailand's travel sector and wider economy due to the slow progress of their own vaccine strategy. Rather than the methodical, disciplined, and time effective approach I can see currently happening in the UK, here in Thailand we are already starting to see the impact of an incompetent military junta self appointed government run for vested interests not the general public across the whole country.

I'm already thinking the lack of action now is likely to have a damaging impact on the next high season.
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

I believe today's numbers will be worse than this
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

I wonder where all those Thonglor partying young Thais are planning on going for their Songkran holidays ?
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
yong
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by yong »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 9:18 am I wonder where all those Thonglor partying young Thais are planning on going for their Songkran holidays ?
No where really. Unlike last Songkran where holiday was postponed this year the holiday is on. But like last Sonkran no street spraying of water and that powder thing on face.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Post by ExPenhMan »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 7:41 am A relevant opinion piece from the Bangkok Post on Thailand's vaccine approach.

https://www.bangkokpost.com/opinion/opi ... e-strategy

At the time I thought the monopolising of a deal likely to involve huge state funds which by the nature of ownership will be protected from questions of transparency went against the national interest. I think it's clear even at this stage that unless something changes, which seems highly unlikely, there is going to be a massive negative impact on the recovery of Thailand's travel sector and wider economy due to the slow progress of their own vaccine strategy. Rather than the methodical, disciplined, and time effective approach I can see currently happening in the UK, here in Thailand we are already starting to see the impact of an incompetent military junta self appointed government run for vested interests not the general public across the whole country.

I'm already thinking the lack of action now is likely to have a damaging impact on the next high season.
Yep, I heartily agree: a very relevant piece, though very carefully crafted not to upset any Very Important Persons. I may have said this before but there won't be any vaccines coming out of that factory for a very long time, possibly late autumn. I hope that at some point, say late summer after missing the promised June debut date of the product vaccine, that they will hastily buy vaccine imports. But there may be little to buy on the market, and if there is any, it will be very expensive -- since Thailand has passed up on the COVAX membership. Alas, our chance of getting a first shot is not looking good for the near to mid-term future. From my selfish point of view, this typically Thai business protection racket is rather upsetting.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

i expect maybe, possible there might be a 2 million tourists this year between april 1st and dec 31st
with 90% of those between Oct 1st and dec 31st
Phuket's tourism income of 442 billion baht in 2019 evaporated to 108 billion last year because of the pandemic, with 98.8 billion of that total coming from the first two months before the nationwide lockdown.

From June to December 2020, local guests generated only 1.3 billion baht per month for the province, a stark contrast to the 32.7 billion earned from the mostly foreign market in the pre-pandemic period.
https://www.bangkokpost.com/business/20 ... LK7d-44o_w

dropped my car off in town to have the bumper painted and took the local bus back home,
I was amazed at how many shops were closed/for rent/sale, although it appears busy an the traffic is crazy
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

UK variant arrives in Thailand, top virologist warns against unnecessary Songkran travel
“Whatever will be, will be. The reason is, it’s a matter that involves a huge number of people. The government will have to try to cope with that later.” – Thai PM Prayut Chan-o-cha.

A prominent Thai virologist has confirmed that the so-called UK Covid-19 variant is behind the latest cluster of infections detected at Bangkok nightlife venues, and now potentially spreading out to other provinces. Prof. Yong Poovorawan from Chulalongkorn University warns that this variant is 1.7 times more contagious than the original one and is urging people to avoid unnecessary travel over the Songkran holiday.

“If Thailand can administer 100,000 doses of Covid-19 vaccines per day, it will take about 3 years to achieve effective herd immunity against the pandemic, while if up to 300,000 doses are given a day, it will take only 1 year to achieve that goal.”
https://thethaiger.com/coronavirus/uk-v ... ran-travel
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic