Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Thailand is Cambodia's neighbor to the West, and this forum is dedicated to Thai news, stories, reviews, blogs, videos, Thai people and anything else related to the country. A lot of expats have both lived and worked in Cambodia and Thailand, and this area is a place to discuss all aspects of life in Thailand and what's going on there. Most topics are about Bangkok and Pattaya because of their larger populations of expatriates and tourists in those cities, but this is for all things Thai.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Thailand Travel Restrictions and Info

Post by phuketrichard »

what a difference a day makes

sucks for Pattaya

BREAKING: The Governor of Chonburi has ordered the closure of all hotels & tourist attractions in the province (this includes Pattaya) from now until further notice. Hotels that want to remain open have 7 days to file a petition. Employees can now apply for government benefits.

to help the employees get their SS benefits or......
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:50 am what a difference a day makes

sucks for Pattaya

BREAKING: The Governor of Chonburi has ordered the closure of all hotels & tourist attractions in the province (this includes Pattaya) from now until further notice. Hotels that want to remain open have 7 days to file a petition. Employees can now apply for government benefits.

:please:

If you know the background and read the detail it's actually what the hotels were asking for and doesn't have any adverse difference to the overall situation in Pattaya at the moment .

Prior to the provincial travel ban the only real market Pattaya hotels had was primarily the Bangkok weekenders taking advantage of the government subsidised hotel deals, as soon as the ban came in that obviously stopped. The hotels have been running on empty incurring staff and other costs, some of the bigger ones like Hard Rock closed weeks ago, so it benefits both the workers put on temporary gardening leave or on reduced wages who can now claim government aid and the hotels saving some costs.

Any hotel that wishes to stay open can apply for permission to do so, so they won't be turfing their few if any guests out on the street, but they will be in a better position cost wise to make a booking dependent reopening decision whenever the government decides to lift the provincial travel ban.

Assuming some level of communication between central and provincial government, big assumption I know but they really should be getting good at this by now, it perhaps indicates the Bangkok travel ban will still be in place for at least the next 2 weeks until Chinese New Year which I'm sure they are hoping to fully relax restrictions for.

On the bright side I believe we will be able to get a meal with our beer again tonight. :Yahoo!: :beer3:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

Cowshed Cowboy wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 8:48 am
phuketrichard wrote: Fri Jan 29, 2021 7:50 am what a difference a day makes

sucks for Pattaya

:please:

If you know the background and read the detail it's actually what the hotels were asking for and doesn't have any adverse difference to the overall situation in Pattaya at the moment .

Prior to the provincial travel ban the only real market Pattaya hotels had was primarily the Bangkok weekenders taking advantage of the government subsidised hotel deals, as soon as the ban came in that obviously stopped. The hotels have been running on empty incurring staff and other costs, some of the bigger ones like Hard Rock closed weeks ago, so it benefits both the workers put on temporary gardening leave or on reduced wages who can now claim government aid and the hotels saving some costs.

Any hotel that wishes to stay open can apply for permission to do so, so they won't be turfing their few if any guests out on the street, but they will be in a better position cost wise to make a booking dependent reopening decision whenever the government decides to lift the provincial travel ban.

Assuming some level of communication between central and provincial government, big assumption I know but they really should be getting good at this by now, it perhaps indicates the Bangkok travel ban will still be in place for at least the next 2 weeks until Chinese New Year which I'm sure they are hoping to fully relax restrictions for.

On the bright side I believe we will be able to get a meal with our beer again tonight. :Yahoo!: :beer3:
ahh thats a bit clearer

yeah i saw some rumours on facebook that the restaurants on Soi 6 might be able to open again soon :plus1:
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
CrabbyBobby
Tourist

Post by CrabbyBobby »

I believe I read in Stickman's column that the notorious Lolita's on Sukhumvit Soi 8 had placed a BBQ in front so they could continue operating as a "restaurant"
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

BANGKOK DINE-IN HOURS TO BE EXTENDED, BUT BARS WON’T REOPEN
BANGKOK — Starting next week, restaurants in the capital may serve diners until 11pm, though consumption of alcoholic beverages in the premises is still banned, the government’s pandemic response center announced Friday.

Nightlife venues such as bars and nightclubs will also remain closed in Bangkok and the neighboring provinces including Samut Prakan, Pathum Thani, and Nonthaburi, spokesman Taweesin Visanuyothin said. The new measures will come into effect on Monday, Feb. 1.

Taweesin justified the booze ban as a necessary measure to prevent coronavirus infections from large gatherings.
concerning Pattaya and Cowboy's statement....
Meanwhile, all hotels and tourist attractions in Chonburi, where the resort town of Pattaya is located, have been ordered closed until further notice – a blow to the local tourism and hospitality industry.

The order was issued by Gov. Pakarathorn Thianchai on Thursday, citing an unspecified “urgent need” despite seeing no new infection there for the past week. Hotels that are still occupied by guests may file an appeal to remain open within seven days, the order state.

There is a small silver lining. Phisut Sae-khu, president of the eastern chapter of the Thai Hotels Association, said the order was issued at the industry’s request so that employees could be eligible for compensation from the social security funds.

“We have been demanding the closure order for months already,” Phisut said. “It doesn’t mean that all hotels are now closed. Hotels can still open if they wish to do so.
https://www.khaosodenglish.com/news/cri ... nt-reopen/

The country’s latest tally of cases now stands at 17,023. At least 76 deaths associated with the virus have been recorded.
From 15 December 2020 onwards ......so 6 weeks ONLY
12,786 people infected (+21 imported cases & +781 local cases)
16 dead
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

I had to read this twice, as first time thought it was 2021

But nope
Government arranges to vaccinate 70% of Thais by end of 2022
BANGKOK (NNT) - The government has arranged to vaccinate 70% of Thais against COVID-19 by the end of 2022, not a whole year later.
Public Health Minister Anutin Charnvirakul insisted that every process has been overseen by medical doctors and experts because the government considers public safety of paramount importance.
He said the government is following the COVID-19 vaccine plan, adding that Thailand has the capability to produce the vaccines locally and does not have to worry about competing over vaccines with other countries.
https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/120387 ... d-of-2022/
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

@PR Hey, Enjoy your life in Thai lockdown. The people in charge seem to be totally ga-ga, but you could be stuck some place else, and it could always be worse. :shrug: :rave:
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

agree
life in phuket sans tourists is grand, cant think of anyplace i'd rather be "stuck"

did ya own one, 34 years ago

Not me
Cowshed Cowboy
Expatriate
Thailand

Post by Cowshed Cowboy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:33 am agree
life in phuket sans tourists is grand, cant think of anyplace i'd rather be "stuck"

did ya own one, 34 years ago

Not me
Just checked for fun, that was the equivalant of $3,800 at the exchange rate in 1987. Even just sticking the 97,900 baht in the drawer you could buy 2 * Apple Iphone 12 Pro Max and still have 18k spending money left. :plus1:
Yes sir, I can boogie, I can boogie, boogie, boogie all night long.
Jamie_Lambo
The Cool Boxing Guy
Great Britain

Post by Jamie_Lambo »

phuketrichard wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:33 am agree
hows life in Phuket mate? it doesnt seem to have been effected much with covid, are bars n restaurants still open etc? life pretty normal?
:tophat: Mean Dtuk Mean Trei, Mean Loy Mean Srey
Punchy McShortstacks School of Hard Knocks :x
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic