Amazing Wildlife Sighting: Tourist Photos Two Rare Wild Gaurs

Breaking news from Cambodia can be found here. CEO often finds Khmer news and translates it into English for our readers if it is interesting to expats, locals, Cambodians living abroad and anyone who wants to stay informed of the latest local and international news stories about Cambodia and our neighbors in South East Asia. There are many sources for Khmer news articles and they can all be found here in one place. Most of the media comes out of Phnom Penh, Siem Reap or Sihanoukville, but we cover national Cambodian news from all provinces.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

Amazing Wildlife Sighting: Tourist Photos Two Rare Wild Gaurs

Post by CEOCambodiaNews » Tue Mar 03, 2020 1:58 pm

Cambodia News (Preah Vihear): There was a rare sighting reported of these endangered animals, when a tourist saw and photographed two gaurs in Chep forest. A tour guide of Sam Veasna center named Sean Madi, said that it was the first time that he had seen a live gaur after working as a tour guide for 10 years in that area.

The guide said the gaur is a vulnerable animal that is recorded on the red list in the IUCN (International Union for the Conservation of Nature) organization. Chep forest is a good shelter for them.
https://www.iucnredlist.org/species/2891/46363646
Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Google+
Instagram
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Re: Amazing Wildlife Sighting: Tourist Photos Two Rare Wild Gaurs

Post by Splashback » Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:39 pm

Beautiful animals. These are the largest bovine that's not extinct. I recommend a trip to Phnom Tamao if you've not seen them. Or have a look at the statue in Wat Phnom to see the size. A mate of mine claims a fair portion of his village was levelled by a rogue beast about 20 years ago. Fucking massive and pure muscle.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Tue Mar 03, 2020 4:53 pm

Splashback wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 2:39 pm
Beautiful animals. These are the largest bovine that's not extinct. I recommend a trip to Phnom Tamao if you've not seen them. Or have a look at the statue in Wat Phnom to see the size. A mate of mine claims a fair portion of his village was levelled by a rogue beast about 20 years ago. Fucking massive and pure muscle.
Spot on!! and the purple tinge
Go take a ride out to Phnom Tamao just for these.
oh, and the otters too of course
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by John Bingham » Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:13 pm

Splashback wrote:
Or have a look at the statue in Wat Phnom to see the size.
That's a Kouprey Statue.

Here's one of the Gaurs at Phnom Tamau.
Splashback
Expatriate
Australia

Post by Splashback » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:26 pm

John Bingham wrote:
Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:13 pm
Splashback wrote:
Or have a look at the statue in Wat Phnom to see the size.
That's a Kouprey Statue.

Here's one of the Gaurs at Phnom Tamau.
Right you are. Nice photo, just as I remember with that reinforced fence. I see they're both in the Bos genus but different species. Another beast to add to my list of things not to poke a stick at.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Post by SternAAlbifrons » Tue Mar 03, 2020 6:50 pm

Good photo JB!.
but you gotta go out there to see them, everybody.

Normal cattle of any descrioton never really turned me on before.
Then i met the Banteng in Bali and fell in love. So softly and seductively beautiful.

I never even heard of Guar until i saw them in Phnom Tamao and was transfixed. I used to just quietly watch for an hour or more, easily. Just quietly transfixed.
And moved, to the core, in an involuntary physical way , viscurally.
(But not sexually, i am not into that huge bulked up hard mustle thing, at all)

But that is exactly what they are, the largest and most raw-powered bovine beasts on the planet today.
20% or more longer and higher than kouprey and banteng.
And 50% heavier, of pure muscle and power.
Fab colours too, that perfectly match the attitude.

Lots of LOLs Splash. Try poking a stick at one without the fence. :mrgreen:
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by John Bingham » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:45 pm

I took that photo when I was up there again a couple of weeks ago. It's hot and dry as hell up there at the moment.

Here's a couple more not particularly great pictures from 2013.

John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by John Bingham » Tue Mar 03, 2020 7:49 pm

Some trivia from Wiki:
The gaur is the State Animal of Goa.
The Gaur is the State animal of Bihar.
The Red Gaurs (Thai: กระทิงแดง Krathing Daeng ) were an extreme right-wing paramilitary organization active in Thailand during the 1970s.
"Krating Daeng" today is a brand of energy drink featuring a pair of charging red gaur bulls in the logo; also used on the licensed derivative, "Red Bull".
John Bingham
Expatriate
Yemen

Post by John Bingham » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:04 pm

Splashback wrote:
Beautiful animals. These are the largest bovine that's not extinct.
I was surprised when I learned that, the ones in Phnom Tamao don't really look that big. I've seen pictures of much larger/ stockier looking ones but apparently the SE Asian ones can be biggest:

Indian Gaur from Wiki

The gaur (previously Bibos gauris) belongs to the same genus, Bos, as cattle (Bos taurus) and yaks (B. grunniens) and is the largest wild bovid (family Bovidae), being bigger than the Cape buffalo (Syncerus caffer), water buffalo (Bubalus bubalis), and bison (Bison sp.).

Gaurs are the only wild bovids to exceed a shoulder height of two meters.

Gaurs are the heaviest and most powerful of all wild bovids. Males often reach 1000 to 1500 kilograms (2200-3300 pounds) and females 700 to 1000 kilograms (1540-2200 pounds). The three wild subspecies generally recognized vary in terms of weight. The Southeast Asian gaur is the largest, and the Malayan gaur is the smallest. The male Indian gaurs average 1300 kilograms, and large individuals may exceed 1700 kilograms, or 1.7 tons. On the other hand, a Malayan gaur usually weighs 1000 to 1300 kilograms. The largest of all gaur, the Southeast Asian gaur, weighs about 1500 kilograms (1.5 tons) for an average male.

In some regions in India where human disturbance is minor, the gaur is very timid and shy, and often shuns humans. When alarmed, gaurs crash into the jungle at a surprising speed. However, in South-east Asia and south India, where they are used to the presence of humans, gaurs are said by locals to be very bold and aggressive. They are frequently known to go down fields and graze alongside domestic cattle, sometimes killing them in fights. Gaur bulls may charge unprovoked, especially during summer time when the heat and parasitic insects make them more short-tempered than usual.

https://www.newworldencyclopedia.org/entry/gaur
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest » Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:50 pm

cool sightings and pics, ty. I keep meaning to get to Phnom Tamao, this is another reason why I need to go.
The KoW, where you get tired of asking "Why in the hell....?" Also, Looking for opium paraphernalia.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic