Beware of the Fake Bouncing Traffic Cop

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
SternAAlbifrons
Expatriate
Pitcairn Island

Re: Beware of the Fake Bouncing Traffic Cop

Post by SternAAlbifrons »

:beer3:
Jerry Atrick wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 2:41 pm
SternAAlbifrons wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:29 am I agree.
But those of us who have never paid a bribe, ever, do have a right to critize the most crippling aspect of Cambodian society.
Crippling for the country as whole, but especially for the poor and powerless.
No?
Never paid a blue shirt a dollar?

Nor a brown shirt a fiver?

Or a green shirt a $50?

In all your time here?

That's something.
It's alot easier if you make very clear from the start that you don't pay, Jerry.
..and if you are prepared to take reponsibility for your own actions.
I got pulled over once in my home town for turning the wrong way. After i insisted on recieving the ticket, i never got pulled over again.
I know this sounds priggish, but it really has never been a big issue in all my time in Cambodia.
And, i better make clear, i do pay the unavoidable "extra costs/prices" that you often have to pay - but never a bribe for breaking the law.
Jerry Atrick
Expatriate
Central African Republic

Re: Beware of the Fake Bouncing Traffic Cop

Post by Jerry Atrick »

I'll give two contrasting examples.

It's been a (very long) time since the second last time I got pulled by the blueshirts, who to their credit gave me a ticket for being 80km in a 50km zone on a country road (I got speedcammed) . They gave me the ticket, I paid to exact amount. It took 20/25 mins. Fine was somewhere in the region of $15 iirc.

More recently, I was pulled over in T.K, in a car, it was hot as it gets, a/c broken, sweating buckets and they just sent me over to the boss at his umbrella shaded table. I didn't have my license or the vehicle reg card on me. He just looked at me, said I should wear my seatbelt in future (I had been, but whatever), gave him 10'000R and was on my way within 2 minutes. No ticket, no wasted time. I'm fine with that.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic