Covid 19 and hand washing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Covid 19 and hand washing

Post by chiltern »

Many health authorities throughout the world are advising frequent hand washing as one prevention measure against the virus, the family I live with say they know this but constantly need prompting. The kids are the worse culprits before every meal I hear "I forgot". I had expected that they would have received some instruction in their state school but they tell me "teacher has said nothing". One very effective of getting the message across is via constant reminders in school, then once the kids understand they take great delight in upbraiding their parents.
Username Taken
Raven
Cambodia

Re: Covid 19 and hand washing

Post by Username Taken »

Oddly enough I just had to remind the wife and daughter about constant hand washing. It was like "Yes Dad, three bags full Dad".
(In one ear and out the other).
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

We haven't got as far as hand washing yet in our family. Still trying to educate them in to not leaving food on the table and have told them one hundred times, if you are not going to use the fridge I will sell it.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

I have been harping on it for years here.
But, it is really a global challenge for me going back to my decades as a Culinary staff member and Culinary School graduate.
I saw a video a few years ago from KL where they tested various bills from around the city..The results were disgusting.
I think about buying seafood and pork atPsar Leu in Sihanoukville and it creeps me out thinking about the Riel change I got back.
Now, people think some cheap mask is going to save them...
But, the no hand washing street food vendor is safe.
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:14 pm We haven't got as far as hand washing yet in our family. Still trying to educate them in to not leaving food on the table and have told them one hundred times, if you are not going to use the fridge I will sell it.
Capital idea! Fridges are overrated, even the fancy inverter one I've got. Bring back the ice box! And the silver dollar.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:45 pm Many health authorities throughout the world are advising frequent hand washing as one prevention measure against the virus, the family I live with say they know this but constantly need prompting. The kids are the worse culprits before every meal I hear "I forgot". I had expected that they would have received some instruction in their state school but they tell me "teacher has said nothing". One very effective of getting the message across is via constant reminders in school, then once the kids understand they take great delight in upbraiding their parents.
Most state schools have very primitive bathroom facilities anyway. Scooping contaminated water out of a concrete vat is not likely to do much to stop the spread of infection.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Duncan wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:14 pm We haven't got as far as hand washing yet in our family. Still trying to educate them in to not leaving food on the table and have told them one hundred times, if you are not going to use the fridge I will sell it.
I go through the same problems, I have gone the same way "not going to use the fridge", it's the same old routine, leave food in the pan and re-heat, old ways are difficult to change the old ways. It comes across at times that they think we are talking crap, although most of us grew up without any fancy appliances ourselves, until a later time. Education helped us with food hygiene and good house keeping. But in the end they have stronger guts then us, think we buy a lump of meat from the market with a nice covering of flies a side order of vegetables possibly with a coating of Pesticide or without and deal with the possible pests.
Rotten food sold in some restaurants because locals won't complain.
We talk to them again of using the fridge, they look blank "I understand them" But at least it keeps the beers cool.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Marty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:49 pm Bring back the ice box!
Speaking of which, the insides of those red boxes you buy beer from are frequently filthy anyway, and once the ice starts to melt, the cans are swimming in murky water. Makes you think twice about drinking from the can. Maybe rinse it first. The coronavirus might not survive the cold temperature but who knows what might. Ugh.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

timmydownawell wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:37 pm
Marty wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 6:49 pm Bring back the ice box!
Speaking of which, the insides of those red boxes you buy beer from are frequently filthy anyway, and once the ice starts to melt, the cans are swimming in murky water. Makes you think twice about drinking from the can. Maybe rinse it first. The coronavirus might not survive the cold temperature but who knows what might. Ugh.
I'd say you should ALWAYS wipe the top of the can with a clean tissue (or t-shirt if necessary :wink: ) before drinking cans out of red boxes. Minimum precaution. I wipe my cans by habit anyway. Even if they are in a fridge now, who knows where they came from.
atst
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by atst »

I wipe the cans with my shirt thinking I'm giving the can a magic rub so I'll get lucky and win a free can
I'm standing up, so I must be straight.
What's a poor man do when the blues keep following him around.(Smoking Dynamite)
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic