Covid 19 and hand washing

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Re: Covid 19 and hand washing

Post by Duncan »

Using the fingerprint scanners at the airport,,,,, How many people have coughed into their hands, picked their nose ,,,,then had to place their fingers on the scanner. How many more have had to place their fingers on the scanner after that before it is cleaned.?
It's no wonder the virus is spreading world wide.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
timmydownawell
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by timmydownawell »

Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 am Using the fingerprint scanners at the airport,,,,, How many people have coughed into their hands, picked their nose ,,,,then had to place their fingers on the scanner. How many more have had to place their fingers on the scanner after that before it is cleaned.?
Considering you've already been touching the seatbelt buckle, tray table, armrests and maybe even the toilet door latch on the plane it probably makes no difference by this point. Use hand sanitiser as you exit the airport.
You must walk in traffic to cross the road - Cambodian proverb
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

Most grown Khmer men don't wash their hands after going to the bathroom, so it's not exactly surprising that the children wouldn't do it. Mind you, many foreigners also don't, but the number of Khmer co-workers who don't wash their hands is pretty high. Any time spent in a mall or airport would confirm that the stats mentioned above aren't really surprising.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

timmydownawell wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:22 am
Duncan wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 8:18 am Using the fingerprint scanners at the airport,,,,, How many people have coughed into their hands, picked their nose ,,,,then had to place their fingers on the scanner. How many more have had to place their fingers on the scanner after that before it is cleaned.?
Considering you've already been touching the seatbelt buckle, tray table, armrests and maybe even the toilet door latch on the plane it probably makes no difference by this point. Use hand sanitiser as you exit the airport.
Seems more and more in western countries where its spreading, the people being infected are not travelers .
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

There are some serious sewerage pipes (huge they are) going in the ground on street 351 Chbar Ampov, it maybe that its carrying waste from Borey Peng Huoth.
Always "hope" but never "expect".
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

On my last exit from PP a few weeks back as all this excitement kicked off, I noticed small bottles of hand sanitiser at each customs/immigration kiosk. I don’t recall seeing this before. I did see one female official vigorously rubbing her hands.
It seemed slightly out of place or pointless, rather like X-Ray machines as you exit the terminal.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

AndyKK wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:08 am There are some serious sewerage pipes (huge they are) going in the ground on street 351 Chbar Ampov, it maybe that its carrying waste from Borey Peng Huoth.
To where ? The Mekong River prehaps.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

John Bingham wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 7:10 pm
chiltern wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:45 pm Many health authorities throughout the world are advising frequent hand washing as one prevention measure against the virus, the family I live with say they know this but constantly need prompting. The kids are the worse culprits before every meal I hear "I forgot". I had expected that they would have received some instruction in their state school but they tell me "teacher has said nothing". One very effective of getting the message across is via constant reminders in school, then once the kids understand they take great delight in upbraiding their parents.
Most state schools have very primitive bathroom facilities anyway. Scooping contaminated water out of a concrete vat is not likely to do much to stop the spread of infection.
I am well aware of the toilet facilities available in the majority of state schools, however my point was that by using the classroom to press home a change in habits children will often nag their parents until they comply.
chiltern
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by chiltern »

Freightdog wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:33 am On my last exit from PP a few weeks back as all this excitement kicked off, I noticed small bottles of hand sanitiser at each customs/immigration kiosk. I don’t recall seeing this before. I did see one female official vigorously rubbing her hands.
It seemed slightly out of place or pointless, rather like X-Ray machines as you exit the terminal.
Hand sanitisers and wipes are effective in controlling bacterial infections howerever unless they are alcohol based they will not be effective with a virtual infection.
Freightdog
Expatriate
Ireland

Post by Freightdog »

chiltern wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 12:50 pm my point was that by using the classroom to press home a change in habits children will often nag their parents until they comply.
You’ll be outed for heresy with these ideas, if you aren’t careful!
There’s one or two (mainly, one) on here, who believe the contrary. Of course, while such misguided and myopic points of view prevail, it shall remain a slow process.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic