Water Damaged Passport - HELP!

Ask us anything. Cambodia Expats Online has a huge community of long-term expats that can answer any question you may have about life in Cambodia. Have some questions you want to ask before you move to Cambodia? Ask them here. Our community can also answer any questions you have about how to find a job or what kind of work is available for expats in Cambodia, whether you're looking for info about Phnom Penh, Siem Reap, or anywhere else in the Kingdom. You're also welcome to ask about visa and work permit questions as well, as the immigration rules change often, especially since COVID-19. Don't be shy, ask CEO's community anything!
ManicManc
Tourist
Great Britain

Water Damaged Passport - HELP!

Post by ManicManc »

So bit of a problem... I accidentally washed my passport and my visa runs out in about two weeks. Bit of a unique situation because I currently have two passports as I've just got a new one. Unfortunately both of them were washed together but my new one doesn't have anything in it yet (no stamps/visas etc) and by the looks of it still looks usable.

The problem is my old passport still has my current visa in it and all my entry and exit stamps. My current visa which runs out on the 12th March looks a little battered. The expiration date and the issue number are still visible (although barely) but the issue date has been washed away. The agency I usually use is closed today so I can't ask them directly if it should be okay. Can anyone here give me some advice? I'm due to fly out of the country in a months time and so having to get a new passport will be problematic. Do you think I will still be able to extent the visa I have now even though the issue date is no longer visible and neither are my entry/exit stamp dates?

Any advice would be really appreciated, kinda stressing out right now! :shock: :shock:

Thanks in advance! :D
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Water Damaged Passport - HELP!

Post by phuketrichard »

the old one must be cancelled already by ur embassy, correct?
if you can still read the entry date ( entry stamp) and the date the visa is valid for you can still use it.
Just present both when you exit the country, ( i assume ur leaving), You say ur leaving in a month BUT the visa is only good for 2 more weeks ??????
I suggest you leave before the 2 weeks is up to avoid extra hassle/expensive and just ot be on the safe side go to ur embassy on monday and verify by them the new one is still good/valid

I have washed my passport before and still used it for about 6 months
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
ManicManc
Tourist
Great Britain

Post by ManicManc »

Thanks for the reply!

Yeah the old one has been cancelled already, the corner has been cut but my current visa is still in there. Sorry I didn't explain myself well enough, I live here and when I say I'm leaving in a month I just mean for a holiday to Thailand for two weeks and then will be coming back to PP.

I'm hoping to extend my visa for another year before I'm due to fly. The issue I was having is whether they would extend if the passport that the visa is in is now water damaged. The new one I was issued with looks pretty much in good condition and I'm pretty sure that will be fine. But my current visa does look a little battered, the expiration date and visa number are still visible, but the issue date isn't. Do you think I will still be able to extend it through and agency or will I have to leave the country and get a new visa? My entry and exit stamp dates have all been washed away too which is another thing I'm worried about. Do you think that will be a problem?

I'm going to talk to the agency I use this week and hopefully they will be able to tell me if everything is fine or not but until then I'm still stressing :facepalm: and was just wondering if anyone has had a similar problem or has some advice that would calm my nerves haha :D :D
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

If you want to play safe go to the immigration office now and ask them. you still got 2 weeks to sort it out if they are not happy. if they can read the visa number they can checke the computer records and issue you with an exit stamp in the new passport, but this can only be done I think 3 days before departure. i would also go to your embassy (i assume uk as they are the ones who cut corners off) and get them to run the passport through their scanner to make sure that all the microchip stuff is still operating, otherwise your passport will not scan at airports and you will need an emergency travel document to get home
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic