New Novel on Expats in Cambodia Published Soon

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
CEOCambodiaNews
Expatriate
Cambodia

New Novel on Expats in Cambodia Published Soon

Post by CEOCambodiaNews »

Looking for something to read ? Irish woman Maeve Galvin has written a novel set in Cambodia, which will be out in April.
Join the Cambodia Expats Online Telegram Channel: https://t.me/CambodiaExpatsOnline

Cambodia Expats Online: Bringing you breaking news from Cambodia before you read it anywhere else!

Have a story or an anonymous news tip for CEO? Need advertising? CONTACT US

Cambodia Expats Online is the most popular community in the country. JOIN TODAY

Follow CEO on social media:

Facebook
Twitter
YouTube
Instagram
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: New Novel on Expats in Cambodia Published Soon

Post by Marty »

Thanks Maeve, I'll take a look but: How could anything top Off the Rails?
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

The title doesn't exactly entice me, that's really not the type of expat I want to read about. If I were interested in saviors, I would have read that Jesus book.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Alex wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 4:47 pm The title doesn't exactly entice me, that's really not the type of expat I want to read about. If I were interested in saviors, I would have read that Jesus book.
from the overview of the book

"The Saviours is set in modern-day Cambodia and anchored in the intertwined lives of three white Westerners working on the country’s enduring challenges three decades after the devastating Khmer Rouge era.

Set against the backdrop of an expat Cambodia full of hedonism, paradoxes and hypocrisy, The Saviours explores the complexities of aid work and why many are motivated to try to ‘save’ a country which isn’t their own."
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

it has "peaked" my interest. Hope for a download link soon.
MarkRobinson
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by MarkRobinson »

:dragonchase: I was given a much traveled & batted book in Phnom Penh in 2007 from a departing friend. 👟 It was the one of the funniest, grotesque, but also insightful memoirs I have ever come across." Street - kids songbook,a torch song trilogy of pain " .The author was printed as a Mike Kelly ,an American expat who had once worked in Cambodia clearing mines & other war junk, gotten married had 2 kids with a local Khmer lady and inevitably gotten ripped- off and emotionally smashed by her & her greedy family.
I would laugh & cry whilst reading it back home in N.Z,and his descriptions of the country,its smells , and other details entrapped /enthralled me to spend many months in Cambodia.
PS, have any other members/punters read it or have info about the " author " .???? Its a hilarious, triumphant, story of an American's experience of 1980s-1990s Kampuchea.
"The Truth ,The whole truth " & nothing but the T R U T H ,Galbelly for the Defense.🍇
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by j57 »

great..
but, I would rather read a book about 3 drunken whoremongers from the same time period.
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

MarkRobinson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:31 pm :dragonchase: I was given a much traveled & batted book in Phnom Penh in 2007 from a departing friend. 👟 It was the one of the funniest, grotesque, but also insightful memoirs I have ever come across." Street - kids songbook,a torch song trilogy of pain " .The author was printed as a Mike Kelly ,an American expat who had once worked in Cambodia clearing mines & other war junk, gotten married had 2 kids with a local Khmer lady and inevitably gotten ripped- off and emotionally smashed by her & her greedy family.
I would laugh & cry whilst reading it back home in N.Z,and his descriptions of the country,its smells , and other details entrapped /enthralled me to spend many months in Cambodia.
PS, have any other members/punters read it or have info about the " author " .???? Its a hilarious, triumphant, story of an American's experience of 1980s-1990s Kampuchea.
Can't say I have heard of it, but sure sounds a good read, internet searches off your details come up with nothing sadly, is the title/author correct?
Ravensnest
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Ravensnest »

angkorjohn2 wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:49 pm
MarkRobinson wrote: Mon Mar 02, 2020 5:31 pm :dragonchase: I was given a much traveled & batted book in Phnom Penh in 2007 from a departing friend. 👟 It was the one of the funniest, grotesque, but also insightful memoirs I have ever come across." Street - kids songbook,a torch song trilogy of pain " .The author was printed as a Mike Kelly ,an American expat who had once worked in Cambodia clearing mines & other war junk, gotten married had 2 kids with a local Khmer lady and inevitably gotten ripped- off and emotionally smashed by her & her greedy family.
Can't say I have heard of it, but sure sounds a good read, internet searches off your details come up with nothing sadly, is the title/author correct?
+ 2. I cannot find it either.

I'd read it, dbl check the name pls.
Still here, in country...
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

Are we allowed to take a guess at the names of the three expats in the book or do we have to buy the book to find out .
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic