Traffic Rules

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Traffic Rules

Post by Duncan »

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/sites/def ... k=IDkCao1x

- Phnom Penh Post
Interior Minister Sar Kheng says the time for traffic law education is over and motorists must be held accountable under the law. Heng Chivoan
Minister of Interior Sar Kheng, who is also chairman of the National Road Safety Committee, on Thursday called 2020 the year of traffic law enforcement. He said the time for educating motorists rather than punishing them has ended.

Stop for the red light,
Go for the green,
Change says the orange light,
Flashing in between.
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by fazur »

i thought they were christmas lights
AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

from article -
Institute for Road Safety director Kong Ratanak said to improve safety on Cambodian roads, the law must be enforced more strictly, and traffic rules must be more widely disseminated.
For the last 10 years, the Institute for Road Safety has helped the government set up mechanisms to implement the law efficiently. The government, he said, has established programmes to educate the people and enforce the law strictly and without discrimination.
“The goal is to have the law apply equally to everyone,” he said.

https://www.phnompenhpost.com/national/ ... violations

It seems on a night time "the so called law" is taken in peoples own minds when it comes to traffic lights and who has the right of way. One example on Highway 1. At rush hour their is a policeman directing traffic, later just the same has the normal daytime hours, abide by the traffic lights who has the right of way. But try going from street 351 across Highway 1 when the light is green, you would find most traffic on Highway 1 with an obvious red light will not stop unless they are forced too by your vehicle being directly in their path, that is the situation "I personally do not like" will they stop or not?
Always "hope" but never "expect".
DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

I was just waiting at traffic lights, idiots were completely ignoring them while a copper sat in his box watching all this at the junction, complete waste of time.......Until the boys in blue nick every single one of them and make them pay a fine nothing will change.

You got me started now..........

And this fuckin bollox about ignoring lights because turning right is exactly that BOLLOX, Red means fuckin STOP, everybody that runs a red light should be Nicked and pay a fine on the spot or have to scooter confiscated, no exceptions because they are poor or any other excuse, try that in any other part of the world...........
Last edited by DaveG on Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brody
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Brody »

Duncan wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:32 am 2020 the year of traffic law enforcement
angkorjohn2
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by angkorjohn2 »

Traffic Laws :beer3:

DaveG
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by DaveG »

Brody wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

DaveG wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:27 pm I was just waiting at traffic lights, idiots were completely ignoring them while a copper sat in his box watching all this at the junction, complete waste of time.......Until the boys in blue nick every single one of them and make them pay a fine nothing will change.

You got me started now..........

And this fuckin bollox about ignoring lights because turning right is exactly that BOLLOX, Red means fuckin STOP, everybody that runs a red light should be Nicked and pay a fine on the spot or have to scooter confiscated, no exceptions because they are poor or any other excuse, try that in any other part of the world...........
When you are there, stopped at the red light, and all around you are going forward has it was a green light, don't you get a little tad worried someone will hit you in the rear! I know I do. Also at times if I was on the main Preah Monivong Blvd wanting to do a left turn, at times I would pull over too the right, letting traffic calm before making my move to the left, mainly due to the trucks doing such speeds they could not stop or avoided you parked in the middle lane wanting to turn having opportunity to safely do so.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

DaveG wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:48 pm
Brody wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 7:38 pm

AndyKK
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by AndyKK »

Its not a serious thread due to the subject is it guys?
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic