Traffic Rules

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
fazur
Expatriate
Norway

Re: Traffic Rules

Post by fazur »

Marty wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am They can charge you for a sex crime in the US. Thats as retarded as putting people in prison for weed.
we should let them roam around near children? :shock:
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:16 am ...I'd be more worried about what cellphone carriers can see what I'm up to...
It's the same fucking thing. ...Well, not quite the same thing. With cell phones, the lobbyists are paying the government officials to pass laws that allow them to invade your privacy. But at least there you agreed to it by using a google(android) phone or downloading an app that has privacy invasion written into the agreement. When the government starts putting cameras up everywhere,or contracting with other companies to get it done and paid for, your own government is actively participating in your privacy invasion, I know the idea of a government actually acting in the interests of the citizens rather than corruption is basically a joke, but it's pretty bad when they start openly, actively participating in privacy invasion, and somehow manage to convince the citizens that it's fine. And as I said, you're not agreeing to it. It's worse than the cell companies.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

I'm in and around the center city every day. Most drivers do actually observe lights, unless they want to turn right. They don't bother me as much as the dumb asses who pull up on the left and stop and then proceed to turn right across the traffic once the light turns green. I used to think teenagers were the worst drivers but at least they have some remaining focus. The worst drivers are old men who dawdle along driving like it's 1985 and the roads are empty.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Yerg
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by Yerg »

Electric Earth wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:09 pm
Yerg wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 3:16 am ...I'd be more worried about what cellphone carriers can see what I'm up to...
It's the same fucking thing. ...Well, not quite the same thing. With cell phones, the lobbyists are paying the government officials to pass laws that allow them to invade your privacy. But at least there you agreed to it by using a google(android) phone or downloading an app that has privacy invasion written into the agreement. When the government starts putting cameras up everywhere,or contracting with other companies to get it done and paid for, your own government is actively participating in your privacy invasion, I know the idea of a government actually acting in the interests of the citizens rather than corruption is basically a joke, but it's pretty bad when they start openly, actively participating in privacy invasion, and somehow manage to convince the citizens that it's fine. And as I said, you're not agreeing to it. It's worse than the cell companies.
Okay, it's clear that my sarcasm didn't come across well in my post. That was indeed my whole point. We sign up to this shit every day. Visit a new website, accept the cookies. Buy a phone, accept that we are being watched/listened to. Buy an Alexa or Google Nest, have our every breathing word listened to. Use a GPS/Maps app, people know where I am going/coming from. Perhaps I should have made it more obvious that I was taking the piss... I'll endeavour never to make that mistake again.

I actually don't give a flying f*** about cameras. I've lived and worked in more surveilled places than the UK when it comes to cameras. Keep 'em coming, the more the merrier.
Duncan
Sir Duncan

Post by Duncan »

John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 pm I'm in and around the center city every day. Most drivers do actually observe lights, unless they want to turn right. They don't bother me as much as the dumb asses who pull up on the left and stop and then proceed to turn right across the traffic once the light turns green. I used to think teenagers were the worst drivers but at least they have some remaining focus. The worst drivers are old men who dawdle along driving like it's 1985 and the roads are empty.

I'm going to have to call you out on that one JB. I have a view of the traffic lights on Street 110 and Riverside and often count 8 to 10 cars and 10 to 20 motos and tuk-tuks going through the red light there.

Your welcome to stand on the corner at the lights to prove me wrong..
Cambodia,,,, Don't fall in love with her.
Like the spoilt child she is, she will not be happy till she destroys herself from within and breaks your heart.
Phnom Poon
Expatriate
Kiribati

Post by Phnom Poon »

Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am traffic lights on Street 110 and Riverside
possibly the least useful set in the whole city
they should move them to one of the many other places they are needed

monstra mihi bona!
epidemiks
Expatriate
Australia

Post by epidemiks »

DaveG wrote:
And this fuckin bollox about ignoring lights because turning right is exactly that BOLLOX, Red means fuckin STOP, everybody that runs a red light should be Nicked and pay a fine on the spot or have to scooter confiscated, no exceptions because they are poor or any other excuse, try that in any other part of the world...........
Right turns on red are explicitly allowed under traffic law, except in the case of a red right arrow.

Priority *should* be given to the traffic with a green, but like looking left or right while turning, that's a work in progress.

Driving down the wrong side of the road around stopped traffic to turn right on a red, however, is not.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

Duncan wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 11:49 am
John Bingham wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 10:45 pm I'm in and around the center city every day. Most drivers do actually observe lights, unless they want to turn right. They don't bother me as much as the dumb asses who pull up on the left and stop and then proceed to turn right across the traffic once the light turns green. I used to think teenagers were the worst drivers but at least they have some remaining focus. The worst drivers are old men who dawdle along driving like it's 1985 and the roads are empty.

I'm going to have to call you out on that one JB. I have a view of the traffic lights on Street 110 and Riverside and often count 8 to 10 cars and 10 to 20 motos and tuk-tuks going through the red light there.

Your welcome to stand on the corner at the lights to prove me wrong..
As above, those are useless lights. I mean major junctions.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Electric Earth
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Electric Earth »

Yerg wrote: Wed Mar 04, 2020 1:02 am Okay, it's clear that my sarcasm didn't come across well in my post.
Ah. Sorry I missed the sarcasm. Sometimes it's difficult to tell when reading text if it isn't really obvious. *shrug* Or maybe it's just me. In any case, I missed. it.
Do you think the parents of baby boomers whined so much when the boomers started changing society? And yet the whiney ones like to call young people "snowflakes." Hmm...
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Post by Marty »

fazur wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:13 am
Marty wrote: Tue Mar 03, 2020 5:28 am They can charge you for a sex crime in the US. Thats as retarded as putting people in prison for weed.
we should let them roam around near children? :shock:
Sorry you are right I was under the influence when I posted. Ur right any weed addict shouldnt be near children because then that leads to the hard stuff.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic