Using Cambodian sim card abroad

This is where our community discusses almost anything! While we're mainly a Cambodia expat discussion forum and talk about expat life here, we debate about almost everything. Even if you're a tourist passing through Southeast Asia and want to connect with expatriates living and working in Cambodia, this is the first section of our site that you should check out. Our members start their own discussions or post links to other blogs and/or news articles they find interesting and want to chat about. So join in the fun and start new topics, or feel free to comment on anything our community members have already started! We also have some Khmer members here as well, but English is the main language used on CEO. You're welcome to have a look around, and if you decide you want to participate, you can become a part our international expat community by signing up for a free account.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Using Cambodian sim card abroad

Post by pczz »

I am in a bit of bother with metfone. In theory I should be able to roam in europe, but the sim will not conect to any local network. Got someone to go into the Metfone office and they say its all ok on their system. Not a major problem except i sometimes need to send money to people from my ACLEDA account and if they try and send me an sms one time cod I cannot receive it. Anyone else had aproblem with metfone outside Asia? Anyone find a fix? thanks
numacsys
Expatriate
Cambodia

Re: Using Cambodian sim card abroad

Post by numacsys »

Be sure that:

1) You activated roaming
2) You have at least $5 or more credit on your metfone account. I remember using a Metfone sim years ago (I use Smart now) and having $5 or more on it was required for roaming to work.

If you have the above and it still doesn't work, I recommend doing the following: go to your settings, then under network, select manual (instead of automatic) network search, then try each of the suggested networks until you connect. If this still doesn't work, then it's definitely a sim restriction. Some networks temporarily restrict their roaming privileges whilst addressing systems issues. I had this problem with my Amaysim sim which roams with Cellcard. There were times when roaming wasn't available and I couldn't get OTPs via SMS for my credit card. A few hours later, roaming was available again.
PSD-Kiwi
Expatriate
New Zealand

Post by PSD-Kiwi »

pczz wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 4:15 am sometimes need to send money to people from my ACLEDA account and if they try and send me an sms one time cod I cannot receive it.
Do ACLEDA not give the option for the one time code to be sent via email? With ABA you get the option for it to be sent via either SMS or email.
Barang_doa_slae
The Dark Horse
Cambodia

Post by Barang_doa_slae »

For smart users and probably others networks also, look into enabling WiFi calling. As long as you are connected to a hotspot you can call in and out your network’s Cambodia numbers as if you were in the country with no roaming charges.
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Barang_doa_slae wrote: Sat Feb 29, 2020 1:31 pm For smart users and probably others networks also, look into enabling WiFi calling. As long as you are connected to a hotspot you can call in and out your network’s Cambodia numbers as if you were in the country with no roaming charges.
Interesting but as I am already abroad no idea how to do it :-(
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic