Vietnam proposes visa-free entry for Europeans, Canadians, and abolish visa fees

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
ExPenhMan
Expatriate
Canada

Vietnam proposes visa-free entry for Europeans, Canadians, and abolish visa fees

Post by ExPenhMan »

Two thumbs up!

The Vietnam National Administration of Tourism (VNAT) estimated that the Covid-19 epidemic could cost the country $5.9- $7.7 billion in first-quarter tourism revenues, or about 25 percent of the industry's revenue last year.

To help the industry revive, the administration has outlined several revival measures in a proposal it plans to submit to the Prime Minister.

The proposal says Vietnam should issue unilateral visa exemptions to Western and Northern European markets as well as Canada; and abolish visa fees for all international visitors in 2020.

https://e.vnexpress.net/news/travel/pla ... 58622.html

So all we have to wait for is VN Immigration to relax or postpone the visa law amendments skedded for July 1. :D
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Re: Vietnam proposes visa-free entry for Europeans, Canadians, and abolish visa fees

Post by phuketrichard »

to all these visa free schemes it wont mean shit, (at least in my eyes)
ur not going to, or not going to go to a country cause the visa is free, $30, 50 or more if ur traveling long distances.

You think people in America, the UK, Germany etc. are siting there saying, " wow i can get a free visa for Vietnam, lets go there this year"
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Marty
BANNED
Canada

Re: Vietnam proposes visa-free entry for Europeans, Canadians, and abolish visa fees

Post by Marty »

You're correct, PR, nevertheless the Vietnam visa is a PITA compared to other countries in the region!
johnny lightning
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by johnny lightning »

I am in Dalat right now. When do I get my refund? A case of believe it when you see it. I am not holding my breath.

Johnny
Anchor Moy
Expatriate
Tokelau

Post by Anchor Moy »

phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 pm to all these visa free schemes it wont mean shit, (at least in my eyes)
ur not going to, or not going to go to a country cause the visa is free, $30, 50 or more if ur traveling long distances.

You think people in America, the UK, Germany etc. are siting there saying, " wow i can get a free visa for Vietnam, lets go there this year"
Yes, sure, but tourists already in SEA, or expats in SEA, might be more interested in going to Vietnam for a weekend or a week's holiday if they don't have to pay $45, or however much it is for the visa, on top of holiday expenses. Also means that if you are not from a 15-day visa exemption country, you can decide to go to Vietnam at the last minute and don't have those visa hassles.
All good IMO.
Clemen
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Clemen »

Anchor Moy wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 3:00 pm
phuketrichard wrote: Sun Feb 23, 2020 1:30 pm to all these visa free schemes it wont mean shit, (at least in my eyes)

Yes, sure, but tourists already in SEA, or expats in SEA, might be more interested in going to Vietnam for a weekend or a week's holiday if they don't have to pay $45, or however much it is for the visa, on top of holiday expenses. Also means that if you are not from a 15-day visa exemption country, you can decide to go to Vietnam at the last minute and don't have those visa hassles.
All good IMO.
This☝️I'd go for a few days next time I have a little time off if I could just show up and get a VOA. I rarely know when I'll have time off much in advance, and I could lose it last minute. That's the reason I haven't been yet.
up to you...
IraHayes
Expatriate
Marshall Islands

Post by IraHayes »

A 15 day free VOA with the option pay to extend to a full visa for what ever they have already... 1 month or 3 months would be the cherry on the cake. This would tempt people in and then, provided it is easy for them, they may stay longer. The longer they stay the more they will spend in country. Hell even those broke-ass backpackers we all love to hate do spend a little and every little is better than nowt!
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

They could start with repealing that crappy change they've planned for July that would limit touristy stays to 30 days.
Mishmash
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Mishmash »

It's a big step from proposal to reality sadly...

I doubt the Viet PM would approve, especially as it's not even on his desk yet!!

From his perspective he does not lose if even one lonely traveler pays for a visa, whereas a whole bunch of people 'not paying' means no dough for him.

You know the score - short term thinking prevails!
michael.stewart1
Expatriate
Russia

Post by michael.stewart1 »

it would mean I would go there more often. After my first trip to Viet Nam Viet Nam is the second most desirable country to live in out of the countries I have travelled to so far. China, Viet Nam, and Brazil are the most desirable nations for me to live in. The USA, Canada and the Philippines are the least desirable nations for me to live in that I have traveled to Russia, China, Iran, and Belarus are the most desirable countries for me to live in.South Korea, USA, Armenia, and israel are the least desirable nations for me to live in.
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic