Top 10 things to see and do in Phu Quoc

Do you have a Cambodian trip report you want to share? Post it here, and feel free to link to your blog if it's a travel blog for Cambodia, South East Asia, or anywhere really. You can ask and answer questions about travel advice in Cambodia or just share your pictures and videos with us. Most people who live in or visit Cambodia have also checked out nearby countries like Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Myanmar, Malaysia, Indonesia and the Philippines, and you can get to most of these countries by traveling overland, so put any travel plans, reviews or questions here. Discussions about dirt bike trails in here as well.
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Top 10 things to see and do in Phu Quoc

Post by phuketrichard »

I've never been.
to those that have, Do you agree? worth a trip?
Phú Quốc is a Vietnamese island off the coast of Cambodia in the Gulf of Thailand (aka. Vịnh Thái Lan in Vietnamese). The island is actually closer to Cambodia than Vietnam. Phu Quoc is a rising star in the island destinations of south east asia. It has big ambitions and will catch up quickly with some key infrastructure already in place with more being hastily completed.

Long stretches of white-sandy beaches and resorts, most of which are along the palm-lined western coast. There are many, many resorts planned or in the midst of construction. More than half of the island is part of Phú Quốc National Park, which features mountains, dense tropical jungle, hiking trails and wildlife. Duong Dong is the largest town which the locals usually simply call Phu Quoc.

There are plenty of expat-owned bistros and bars that serve western and European tastes.
https://thethaiger.com/hot-news/tourism ... n-phu-quoc

Helpful hints to us,
Cambodian territory might be visible from northern Phu Quoc, but as yet there are no direct air or sea connections. See the post on Sometimes 30 Equals 200 for insight into the absurdity of this. Things will change sooner or later (Cambodia is banking on it, as a direct link could drive tourists to its own coastal resorts), and Ganh Dau has been touted as Phu Quoc's potential gateway to the Khmer homeland. In the meantime, coming from Cambodia you will have to cross the border at Prek Chak/Xa Xia, present your Vietnamese visa, then go to Ha Tien and catch a ferry. It is complicated now, but things will probably get easier in the future.
prices, places to stay, must sees/do's? Visa if coming from Kep
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
j57
Expatriate
United States of America

Re: Top 10 things to see and do in Phu Quoc

Post by j57 »

Read the history of this island ..
it should be part of Cambodia..
I'll pass.
Alex
Expatriate
United States of America

Post by Alex »

Eat seafood, get drunk, get laid. Pretty much the same you would do in Phuket, Phuket! Okay that's only three things.
John Bingham
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by John Bingham »

j57 wrote: Sat Feb 22, 2020 7:23 pm Read the history of this island ..
it should be part of Cambodia..
I'll pass.
The history of the south coast shows little interest on the part of Khmers for islands or coastal areas, they have traditionally been an inland people. A lot of lands were lost and gained and so on over the centuries, there isn't much point in arguing about it now. I was there about 8 years ago. The jungle in the center of the island was being carved out for the new airport. I stayed in some resort on the west, Duong Dong was a couple of KM north and was an interesting old fishing town. It looks weird now seeing that cable car.
Silence, exile, and cunning.
Bitte_Kein_Lexus
Expatriate

Post by Bitte_Kein_Lexus »

I saw most of these things on a recent trip there. Didn't take the cable car, but it's impressive. To be honest, the whole island is a bit of a "work in progress" and it's in that awkward phase in between nicely developed spot and quaint/quiet coastal island. I think some projects ran out of funds or have slowed down. many pages roads, but all dusty with trucks and shitty housing left and right. It's not quite Koh Chang, nor is it a Lot Rong Samleun of years ago. You can spend 4 nights there and do almost everything.
Ex Bitteeinbit/LexusSchmexus
Feelgood
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by Feelgood »

It has the longest cable car in the world. 8km long and 524 ft high. Was great.

And has great sports bar The Rabbit Hole
pczz
Expatriate
Great Britain

Post by pczz »

Was interesting years ago before they build the new airport and trashed the place. Best thing i remember was little coconut palm beach called paradise beach. hard to find and beautiful, so no, I am not going to tell you where it is just incase its still there. Last person i spoke to said avoid swimming in the south. overdeveleoped and pololuted water
phuketrichard
Expatriate
Aruba

Post by phuketrichard »

Are there mostly foreign tourists, Chinese, (well before corona) or rich Viets?
Prices;
good hotel for ?
seafood meal?
beers?

I am getting tired of just visiting places i know
In a nation run by swine, all pigs are upward-mobile and the rest of us are fucked until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. HST
Dario
Expatriate
Germany

Post by Dario »

As of 10 years ago, absolutely worth it.
By now they've probably managed to build the new airport bit outside of Duong Dong, the only "real" town.
The Coast towards Cambodia used to be DMZ until like 15 years ago, so it was totally pristine when i was there.
The beach strip to the south of of Duong Dong was where it was at. Many restaurants with menu in 4 or 3 languages.
Some of the restaurant owners stripped the russian language off their menu, cause they were fed up with the rowdies.
The russians were the known pest, all around town.
kgbagent
Expatriate
Cambodia

Post by kgbagent »

well worth a visit - hopefully ferries from Kampot in the near future. PQ is a visa free destination as long as you dont go to the mainland.

russkies are coming back tho

great seafood and just stay further down the island
Post Reply Previous topicNext topic